Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a house - furnished or unfurnished?

• 27-09-2011 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭

Planning to move shortly and will be renting out the house we're leaving.

The question is, how much of a difference does it make having the place furnished or unfurnished? Personally if I was renting somewhere longterm I'd prefer to bring in my own furniture but everyone is different. We'll be leaving the fridge freezer behind and possibly the washer/dryer and furniture in one of the bedrooms but leaving 2 bedrooms, small living room, dining room empty.

Does it make much difference to the rent you charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

How it might affect is how willing people are to move in.

You havent given any details of your property but for most renters the first months rent and deposit is a large down payment for them, to then have to furnish a property might be enough to put them off choosing your place.

Also people who rent dont usually like to bring a lot of furniture with them so when they move from your place they would have to either leave any furniture and lose on the cost or try and move it with them which is an extra hassle on top of having to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

An unfurnished place will suit a certain subsection of renters. Say those who have sold their house and are waiting for the market to bottom out before buying again for example. I'd say there's no harm in advertising it as unfurnished and seeing if there's much interest. Or advertising it as being available either way and only furnishing it if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

DrPhilG wrote: »

The question is, how much of a difference does it make having the place furnished or unfurnished? Personally if I was renting somewhere longterm I'd prefer to bring in my own furniture but everyone is different. We'll be leaving the fridge freezer behind and possibly the washer/dryer and furniture in one of the bedrooms but leaving 2 bedrooms, small living room, dining room empty.

Personally speaking I prefer to have an empty house to move into, I have my own stuff to bring, and if the landlord leaves furniture, in my experience it is the worst furniture the landlord owns, as they tend to take the good stuff themselves. I've seen landlords who take 'furnished' to mean 'I bought a rubbish oven in the 80s and I just bought a new one for myself, so guess which you are getting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

It really depends on the needs of the tenants, I rent and have my own furniture and it's a pain trying to find unfurnished property in this country - I won't lay the blame squarely on landlords though - I have seen many tenants looking for everything to be provided in a house down to a peculator!

I lived abroad for many years and it was standard that rentals were unfurnished, short term and holiday lets were furnished but for long term you provided your own furniture, so we have a long way to come.

You should leave the option open, it doesn't or shouldn't impact on the rent as it's the property that's being rented not the contents.

daltonmd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You havent given any details of your property...

3 bedroom (2 double 1 single), end terrace house with a big garden. Approx 35 years old.

Kitchen has built in dishwasher, oven and hob. Fridge as I said will be staying.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    if the landlord leaves furniture, in my experience it is the worst furniture the landlord owns, as they tend to take the good stuff themselves.

True, a friend of mine bought 3 or 4 houses when they were dirt cheap and his idea of furnishing them was going to car boot sales etc and buying the crap that others were throwing out. He actually took a bed out of a skip once, a few nails and a lick of paint later and it was in one of his houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

3 bedroom (2 double 1 single), end terrace house with a big garden. Approx 35 years old.

Kitchen has built in dishwasher, oven and hob. Fridge as I said will be staying.

True, a friend of mine bought 3 or 4 houses when they were dirt cheap and his idea of furnishing them was going to car boot sales etc and buying the crap that others were throwing out. He actually took a bed out of a skip once, a few nails and a lick of paint later and it was in one of his houses.

The houses nowadays are probably worth as much as the furniture is...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The houses nowadays are probably worth as much as the furniture is...

Doubt it. He bought 4 bed semi detached when they were £35k. Even with the dip they're worth twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It is VERY difficult to find an unfurnished house to rent in Ireland - usually you are expected to make do with whatever ancient tat that the landlord threw out of their own house or picked up for a tenner as if you are some sort of tramp.

It might give you a nice advantage over other landlords as you are competing against far fewer properties and you will be renting to people who own their own stuff (which should tell you something about them).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well lets start by clearing up your first comments. fridge and the washing machine have nothing to do with the property being furnished or unfurnished.

You legally have to provide certain things in a rental property, including a cooker, fridge, washing machine etc so your not leaving them you have to leave them.

as for leaving the other things my view would be you either furnish the place or your remove everything. Partial furnishing puts you in limbo and nobody is going to be interested in that situation.

you either remove eevrything and rent as unfurnished or you leave the house fully furnished. there is a market for unfurnished renters albeit smaller. there is I suggest practically no market for a half furnished property.

Advertisement