Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

140.6 deep breaths...

Options
  • 07-10-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Goals should be a challenge, a stretch of your ability, a journey of self discovery rooted in your values. They must also be realistic and achievable with focus, discipline and hard work. For the most part and importantly, fun too! My 2011 goals encapsulate, for me, all of the above.

#1 Complete an Ironman Distance Triathlon – A Goal
    Quelle Challenge Roth, Bavaria, Germany, July 10 2011 (entered)

This is the biggie. It is the horizon that my mind’s eye has gazed at since I started triathlon in 2009 I had learned to swim the previous winter and although the Iron Distance fascinated me, I really believed it was beyond me. Just finishing a 3.8km swim was a mountain to me let alone a 180km cycle and a Marathon afterwards! I’ve learned a lot in a short space of time, most importantly that you get out of this sport what you put in. This log will mainly concentrate on how I cope with the focus, discipline and hard work that is required to become an Ironman in a busy life.

#2 Run a Marathon in under 3 hours – B Goal
    Berlin Marathon, Germany, September 25 2011 (not entered yet)

This one is a stretch. It would require knocking about half an hour off my 3:27 personal best. I’ll have a 10 week block of Marathon specific training and speed work to get me in shape to have a go at least :cool: Ambitious perhaps, but if I complete Goal #1, I won’t be too hard on myself if my best effort doesn’t cut it. First things first… the Ironman!

Going Long…
    Going long a couple of years earlier than originally planned worried me enough to put it all under the scope in the last few weeks. Creating the plan was like swatting for an exam and it’s almost complete. I’ve based the pattern loosely on Don Fink’s competitive programme with my own tweaks. 20 weeks base training employing a progressive pattern and addressing my limiters early. 12 weeks of progressive IM specific training starting March 22nd and a 4 week taper block. It probably a long base period but my key limiters in both the bike and run is base fitness, extensive aerobic... whatever you want to call it.

Swimming
    I’ve worked hard at it this year and feel generally happy with the progress. Building the distance won’t be the problem but staying efficient and maintaining stroke length for the distance is paramount. My training focus is on technique/drills and long sets with stroke focus.

Cycling
    I’m confident with general strength. Good roads and long straights suit me but I need to work on power/weight ratio and maintaining a good cadence for hills. My main focus is on extensive endurance. I have rarely cycled for longer than 2 hours so like most training for an IM, the long bike is the key session of the whole programme. I’ll incorporate some progressive lower end FTP work too but building to a 5-6 hour bike without cardiac drift is fundamental.

Running
    My biggest limiters are base endurance and cadence. Basically after 60-70 mins running I have significant cardiac drift or if I maintain a capped heart rate my pace can drop dramatically (up to 30sec per km). This is largely due to how I ran the 3 Marathons I did before I found Triathlon. Like many novices I had no experience of road races so all training consisted of predominantly chasing times in the dead zone between base and threshold. As a result I rely on my glycogen store all of the time and feed it with far too much sugar in my diet. The plan is to convert the sugar burning furnace into a fat burning efficient engine! In terms of cadence has been a case of plod, plod, at 150spm L Over striding and I expect my legs to hit a pace off the bike?! Speed work will not be a focus but developing my cadence will undoubtedly increase the speed I can hold for certain zones. Cadence checks will be a key feature of the 2 key run sessions each week. The LSR and the transition run.

The 36 week IM programme kicks off on Nov 01. I have the fun job of pacing the 4 hour group at the Dublin Marathon before then. I also promised myself after the horrid recent return to the pool that I’d never go more than 2 weeks without swimming again!

I started my first boards’ log the same day I started my Thursday night group swims. It was the start of my Tri journey then. As the Swim groups starts back this evening I figured it to be apt time for a new log. Last time the session kicked off with a TT to sort us into lanes. I presume more of the same tonight…

Deep Breath ... Roll on 2011 :D

PS (just in case) 140.6 = 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cool, should be an interesting thread... and I'll see you in the Dublin pace group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Jaysus you dont take much of a break Shotgun :D

Good luck with this, I will enjoy this log....no time goals written down I see but I would guess the mental time will be ambitious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In terms of cadence has been a case of plod, plod, at 150spm. Over striding and I expect my legs to hit a pace off the bike?!

This is something I worked on last winter, to track cadence I would cout steps for 20seconds every 5 minutes in my runs... problem I found was that I could easily 'cheat' for those 20 seconds and slack off in between. A footpod for your garmin might help keep this honest, but at €80 it seems like bad value to me.

Will be keeping an eye on this log, you have done a couple of HIMs already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

The sub3 will be a big target. Best of luck with the training and the log. No doubt it'll continue to be inspirational!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

THis is going to be a fun log. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Dude, that wasn't much of a break!!

Great stuff though. I had an inkling you might be going long next year. I've heard Roth is fantastic too-sounds like a nice choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Some seriously impressive goals. Best of luck with them, and I look forward to keeping up to date with your progress.

PS Thanks for explaining the 140.6 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

good stuff mcos...no better man to write down the goals. You have plenty of time to get to sub3 and after the intensity of the IM training it might come easier than you think. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

#1 Complete an Ironman Distance Triathlon – A Goal
    Quelle Challenge Roth, Bavaria, Germany, July 10 2011 (entered)

This is the biggie. It is the horizon that my mind’s eye has gazed at since I started triathlon in 2009 I had learned to swim the previous winter and although the Iron Distance fascinated me, I really believed it was beyond me. Just finishing a 3.8km swim was a mountain to me let alone a 180km cycle and a Marathon afterwards! I’ve learned a lot in a short space of time, most importantly that you get out of this sport what you put in. This log will mainly concentrate on how I cope with the focus, discipline and hard work that is required to become an Ironman in a busy life.

It's not enough to say you're gonna do it, you could probably get around now on your current fitness levels.........give us a predicted time:)

Looking forward to this log already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Quelle surprise!:D

Great stuff...as griffin says, you could complete an IM with your eyes closed at this stage..very interested to hear your "real" goal as you progress.

All the best with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Manu thanks all :)
    mloc123 wrote: »
    This is something I worked on last winter, to track cadence I would cout steps for 20seconds every 5 minutes in my runs... problem I found was that I could easily 'cheat' for those 20 seconds and slack off in between. A footpod for your garmin might help keep this honest, but at €80 it seems like bad value to me.

Will be keeping an eye on this log, you have done a couple of HIMs already?

I did Kenmare at the end of my rookie season and ended up in the back of the ambulance. Otherwise had fun! Nope, no other HIMs which was a worry. Life situations juct meant bringing the IM goal forward. I'm not done with OD distance by any means. The long one just had a greater appeal than targetting faster times next year.

I get what you mean about the cadence checks. Because you are suddenly counting you tend to speed it up a notch. I take a check for 30 secs 4 times on a long run. The best I've managed so far is holding 170 up to 75 mins but then along with my pace it dropps to 162-164 by 90 mins. I'll build it like everything else.
    griffin100 wrote: »

It's not enough to say you're gonna do it, you could probably get around now on your current fitness levels.........give us a predicted time:)

Looking forward to this log already.

@Izoard too
    Cheers, yeah I know you and others would expect me to have a time in mind but I really don't. I'm not letting myself get sucked into that for a while. Of course I'll have some target splits eventually but this is a venture into the unknown for me so I'll hold off a while to see how my body adapts to the longer stuff. I have a lot to learn about nutrition in particular. Right now I just want to finish!

Training

I took a couple of weeks off after the Budapest experience and except for a long jog it was nada... Catching up on social life! I've recently got the wheels in motion with running at least as I am one of the Pacers again at this year's Dublin Marathon. Myself and --amadeus-- had a blast doing this last year so I'm really looking forward to it now. I hit the pool on Monday morning and the Coach lobbed me into the fast lane. In short, I struggled and was lapped by the lot.

Tuesday PM: PMP run
    I met a group of sub4 hopefuls at the Arena for a PMP (pacer pace) run. It was a lovely cool evening with no wind, super conditions for running. Leading 5 women around the city drew lots of attention also
    The Plan
    1:20 at 5:40/km (4 hour pace)
    Actual
    1:31 at 5:39/km (spot on 3:59 pace)

It was a little longer than anticipated as the girls elected unanimously for a more scenic route than the out and back I had planned. We covered 16.14 km and the chat made it fly by. 1 girl developed a blister early on and another needed a loo but in true pacer fashion I didn't slow down or stop for them. Yes I felt a bit bad for it but they knew the score from the off. Overall a very good medium length PMP run and a confidence boost for the girls. Average heart rate was 134 which I was happy about. Last year for the Marathon pacing my average heart rate was 150 for the first 90 mins. It must mean I'm fitter!

Wednesday PM: Easy Bike
    The plan
    1:00 easy on the turbo after work to spin the legs out
    Actual
    1:09 on the road. Average heart rate 141, pace 31.5kmh, distance 36.26km

I managed to get out of work early enough for once to enjoy the last hour of daylight on a lovely cool evening once again. It actually felt a little chilly so I put on a base layer, cycling top and jacket. The sweat was dripping off my helmet onto the tip of my nose! I like this course as it’s where I do my TT efforts during race season. No real hills but there are a few testing drags. I just wanted to pedal at 90spm but this even felt laboured on these drags. The legs felt a little heavy and lazy. It was well into dusk by the time I got home so this may have been my last evening spin on this course. It’s just too dangerous in the dark.

Eating

I’m starting to sport a little tyre around the mid section so it is indeed time to ease back into it. I have a serious sweet tooth and am a chocoholic. I’m not kidding. Last Monday I had 2 dark chocolate bounty bars at 4pm in work. When I got home around 6 I was peckish so had 2 bowls of cornflakes and later that night 16 digestives with nutella smeared on each! Multiply that kind of behaviour by 3 weeks and you get the idea of the tyre I mentioned :o Aha but by next summer I’ll be sporting toned abs instead. I just need to HTFU about diet discipline. I have made so many fruitless (excuse the pun) attempts. I’m giving myself until Nov 1 to wean myself of the excesses. Its not that I don’t eat well in general, in fact I eat enough protein, vegetables and fruit so that I don’t have to supplement the diet. It’s just dealing with the sugar cravings… The base training should help as the intense stuff demands the quick fixes much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Man, I now have to go back and worry about the A/R/T challenge for 2010 again...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Nice intro - I'll see you under the balloon in 3+ weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Great stuff MCOS, I'll enjoy this one. Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Nice one. I knew it would be sooner rather than later when you would be signing up for the long one. Roth seems a great event.
    Any B races lined up yet before the big one?

Aiming for sub 3 in 10 weeks after Roth would seem challenging. The fast course of Amsterdam in mid Oct would give you anb extra 3 weeks prep. Worth thinking about.

Izoard wrote: »
    Man, I now have to go back and worry about the A/R/T challenge for 2010 again...:)
    I reckon you have it sown up man, unless we get some mega update from someone.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    Any B races lined up yet before the big one?

Aiming for sub 3 in 10 weeks after Roth would seem challenging. The fast course of Amsterdam in mid Oct would give you anb extra 3 weeks prep. Worth thinking about.

Thanks Abhainn, I hadn't thought about A'dam. I guess Berlin is one I 've had on my mind for a while but that extra 3 weeks is worth thinking about for sure. Nice tip man ;) As for B races. Waterford half Marathon in December just to replace an LSR but also to set a benchmark. I'll do another half then before the Autumn Marathon in 2011 with some speedwork behind it and see what progress I have made. I know I'll need to be in the ballpark of 1:25 for a half for a decent crack at sub 3... Gulp! The Waterford half will bne an indication as to the size of that particular Mountain. For Triathlon I'll do an early HIM and an Olympic this side of the IM. Oh and I've pencilled in the W200 too but I won't be stopping for tea and sandwiches this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

really looking forward to following this log

good luck with it

Thursday PM: Swim session in 25m
    The TT was just a little sprinty 200m to sort us out. 450m either side warm up and cool down with some breast stroke thrown in. Its still awful but I'm getting there. 2:46 on the TT which is a personal best. Pace 1:23/100m and the stroke didn't fall apart. happy days :) Session 0:25, dist 1,100m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great goals there, looking forward to reading the log throughout. How will you go about fitting the long spins in? Up very early? I hope you dont plan a 5 hour turbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice to see that you're going long! Fair play. Best of look on the IM journey and going sub 3.

How will you be pacing / training on the bike? Will you invest in a PM or use HR?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Great goals there, looking forward to reading the log throughout. How will you go about fitting the long spins in? Up very early? I hope you dont plan a 5 hour turbo
    Good Question kennyb3. This is one of my challenges. I don't have every weekend free so max twice a month I can get out withe the club or an IM training group. For the weekends I can't its turbo. I did one 3 hour turbo earlier this year and wanted to chuck it in the bin afterwards so right now I'm going to have to figure that one out.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    How will you be pacing / training on the bike? Will you invest in a PM or use HR?

Thanks gibbo. No major investments next year. I'm going to go with what I got. Maybe a new wetsuit but thats it. I definitely won't be shelling out for a PM so its capped HR zones all the way.

I went for a swim with the Masters group there at lunch. Its one of my favourite sessions. It conflicts with the keeping everything at base theme as it’s a short but tough session. 40 minutes in and out. Main set is usually about 1.6km and as with today we usually get through 2k with the warm up and cool down. I can't quite hang onto the group in the fast lane in the morning swims yet but this session is definitely the key to getting me there. As our esteemed uber swimmer Interested once advised me. Its sometimes better to suffer in a lane of faster swimmers than lead out a slower lane. Suffering it is too!

The main set was 100m*3, 150m*2, 200m, 100m*5, 150m*2. What’s the difference between swimmers and triathletes? While I was delighted to be hanging onto the their coat tails, hitting 1:25s for the 100s (SC), the girls were doing a mixture of backstroke and sometimes even fly in front of me :eek: They also tumble turn effortlessly without a splash and the efficiency of it takes seconds per length out of the rest of us. Ok, they may not be as quick (thankfully) as they were is their hay day but there is a sense of 'business' about the session that I like. Its always a quality swim. If my stroke can't handle the pace I back off and happily get lapped. What I try to do is swim as hard as I can while still being able to concentrate on my stroke. If I lose control and start just hammering the water chasing feet I A) die very quickly and B) just reinforce poor technique.

So, this will be the only session of intense effort during the 20 week base period. Its short enough, gives me something to look forward to in work and legs are still fresh for the weekend long sessions :)

Session 0:40, dist 2,000m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's an impressive swim session. I know what you mean about ex-swimmers. There were a few of the Limerick Masters crew at the Swim Ireland event last weekend. Man, they're impressive swimmers. :eek:

Saturday AM: LSR Z2
    The Plan
    2:30 Z2 (hr 137 – 155)
    Actual
    2:31 Z2 average hr 150, max 205 (Garmin went nuts)

Awful run. Conditions were ok, dry and cool. Almost muggy. First 16km were ok and steady. The pace was around 4:40/km but my heart rate was in check so all good. At 20km I began to feel it. The wheels came off shortly after and pace dropped like a stone. Cadence was an encouraging, for me, 170 - 172spm up to 70 mins then dropped to a lazy 160 by 100 mins and I just could not turn over faster. The Garmin was spiking like mad also which was annoying and distracting as I was trying to keep to heart rate. Hamstrings locked up on me early (they had been tight from the start) and it was a real struggle to even get home. Had to stop and stretch them out a couple of times. By 25km I was down to 5:20+ pace. I went over on my ankle on O'Connell St too just to rub salt in. I shuffled up the last hill home like an 80 year old at 5:40 pace. In the end I was happy just to get it done.

Time 2:31
    Dist 30.66km
    avg pace 4:56/km

0:20 stretching planned for later, or on my lunch break.

The good

· I decided to eat a bagel before the run and brought water with me. I normally do long runs with nothing but that would have been a bad idea this morning..
    · I dragged my butt out of bed at 5:30am for this to get it done before work
    · First 75 mins were pleasant and had the roads to myself.

The bad

· Stupid Garmin was unreliable for the 2nd half when I needed it most :mad:
    · The wheels really came off after 20km and it got progressively worse. My base fitness is terrible.
    · Could only hold target cadence for 70 mins then it died dramatically
    · The tightness of my hams and calves. Flexibility is shocking!
    · 5 hours sleep didn’t help
    · 3 LSRs in 2 weeks didn’t help, especially since I haven’t done any all year
    · 1:30, 1:50, 2:10, 2:30 was building the long run too quickly but hey I have to stay on my feet for 4 hours in a couple of weeks.

After the DCM I have soooo much work to do on my running if I am to run a Marathon after 6 hours on a saddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Nice one, best of luck with this.

Hopefully reading about your hard work over the winter will encourage me to do some.

Saturday AM: LSR Z2
    The Plan
    2:30 Z2 (hr 137 – 155)

What are you heart rate zones Mcos I dont know if I have mine done right at all. Resting is 40 and max I have got it up to is 193.

My garmin gives me Z3 for low 140s running, do I need to be running in the 130s then to be in Z2, christ that will have me out at over 11 minute miles I would guess

catweazle wrote: »
    What are you heart rate zones Mcos I dont know if I have mine done right at all. Resting is 40 and max I have got it up to is 193.

My garmin gives me Z3 for low 140s running, do I need to be running in the 130s then to be in Z2, christ that will have me out at over 11 minute miles I would guess

Hey Catweazle, the Garmin default settings takes your rest and max to calculate the 5 zones as the simple Z1 50-60%, Z2 60-70%, Z3 70-80% etc...

I first got thinking about the when I read Don Finks book and he and Joe Friel generally agree on zones although Friel is much more scientific about it. Here's JF's Guide to heart rates. He uses LTHR and gives some ideas on how to establish it. This is also similar to LT2 or OBLA (onset of blood lactate), the point at which you are predominantly using the anaerobic system and burning glycogen. You use the aerobic system and anaerobic system togetehr but at lower heart rates the body prioritises the aerobic one and uses it to burn fat efficiently as fuel. As you go over the OBLA the energy demand is too high to burn fat at a quick enough rate for efficient energy needs and the body dives into blood sugar etc.. lots on this in books and articles.

How I established my zones without going to the lab
    Running
    3km track test all out. Avg heart rate was the benchmark, its also where I have hit my max heart rate outright (191)

Cycling
    20 min Turbo all out. Avg heart rate also a benchmark and coincidently where I hit my max bike heart rate outright (183)

For both running and cycling my zones (based on ATHR) are about
    Z1 65-70% Max HR
    Z2 71-81% Max HR
    Z3 82 -86/87%
    Z4 86/87 - 90/91%
    Z5 90/91% +

So, I'll largely avoid Z3 and Z5 for IM training. Most of the training will be Z1-Z2 for the base period and I'll do some reps at Z4 in the IM build period.

JF also goes into FTP ranges. Functional Threshold Power is the max sustainable power you can produce for an hour. I originally used the 20min avg watts and multiplied by 0.95 for the rough estimate of an hour. But later in the season I did a more sadistic hour all out on the turbo to establish my FTP.

Hope that helps

Thanks for that, not a huge range in them between Z2 and Z4. I felt a bit more comfortable that I wasn't wasting my time out today at high 140's/low 150's so. Although I wasnt running in Z2 at 4.40 pace either :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Just catching up on the training logs.

Delighted to hear you are going long Mr MCOS, great stuff. I had an inkling after reading some of your posts re the IM distance over the last few months.

The very best wishes for it. You have a great work rate and commitment to training, and a great attitude to boot, and that will all stand to you over the next year.

PS See you in Waterford, please God. I'ld say El D, yourself and myself could end up chasing very similar times for the Half.

I'm going straight to you first log now to see how you ended up in the back of and ambulance after Kenmare, very interesting!

Advertisement