Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Yellow Card in Radio Forum

• 21-09-2015 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I received an on-thread warning for this post a week ago. It was in response to a pretty ignorant, bigoted post (for which the poster was banned). I took heed of the warning (the moderator was Hullaballoo) and don't dispute it at all. It was fully deserved, no excuses - I should have attacked the post, not the poster, or just reported the offensive post, rather than responding to it like that.

However... a whole five days later, in the early hours of Sunday morning, another moderator (bbability) reviewed the thread and decided, out of the blue, to belatedly give me a yellow card. I'm not in the habit of getting infractions, etc, so I wouldn't usually be bothered complaining about something so trivial, but I happened to notice that while reviewing the thread, bbability had also 'thanked' the aforementioned (ignorant, bigoted, etc) post.

I'm not implying that bbability deliberately did anything wrong, but maybe... just maybe... his judgement might have been clouded by the fact that he strongly disagreed with my comment. Either way, it seems a bit unfair and totally unnecessary to come along five days later and hand out a yellow card for a post that had already been dealt with by another moderator.

I discussed it via PM with bbability, but don't appear to have got anywhere. I'm just wondering if someone might take a look at it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will look into this.

Can you forward on the PM exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Thanks CabanSail, PM sent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

PM received - Thanks.

Personal abuse, apart from being just poor form, is not allowed on this site. That is something that you acknowledged yourself in the post above.
    I should have attacked the post, not the poster, or just reported the offensive post, rather than responding to it like that.

Very good advice. You should listen to him.

I have been involved with this matter due to the other ban handed out and subsequent DRP appeal. When I first read the warning and your post I did wonder if a mistake had been made and the wrong poster banned in error. The ban issued was subsequently overturned even though some comments did sail close to the wind they were discussing a sensitive issue.

Subsequent to the DRP this was then a subject of discussion within the Mod team. I assume that at this point bbability has decided to issue a warning. This is the lowest of disciplinary tools available to a Moderator. The yellow card on that post serves as a warning to others not just yourself. The delay in issuing the card is unfortunate but if it was placed at the time I would have thought an Infraction (Red Card) more appropriate.

The fact that you see that making that post was not correct and that you subsequently modified your posting style makes me think that an escalation is not appropriate.

Warning upheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Oh well, thanks for taking the time to look into it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement