Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netopia router for eircom nat type 2

• 09-06-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

i found this guide on the internet and it supposedly works for some i done everything it says and it doesnr work i have the same router and all.the keep it carlow thing doesnt work for me either the ip address times out and fails can anyone help?????????????????????:confused:

hey guys, heres a guide to having absolutley FLAWLESS ps3 online, very important parts shall have an asterix (*) to the left hand side of the post,
    i shall also give brief explanations of why youre doing these things, and what they actually DO:

basically your ps3 connection has a NAT type , this basically says how your connection to your router is, TYPE 1 means its directly connected to the internet so its perfect, TYPE 3 means it can connect to the internet but the connection isnt perfect/very laggy, a result of this is not being able to go into chat rooms, ea nation games not working etc. well we try to get NAT type 2 which is wirelessly connected to the internet , but perfectly connected here we go!!

*give your ps3 a static ip address*
    *okay this isnt too complicated, see every time a router gets accessed by a device (ps3, desktop, laptop etc.) it assignes it an ip address randomly depending on who logs in first,

on ps3
    disable the media server function in 'network settings'
    do an 'automatic' network connection and see if nat type 3 comes up at the end, if so, were on track

we need our ps3 to have an ip address that isnt given out randomly, as we will need it to have the same address,so you write down a new ip address, say 192.168.1.150 we use .150 because you probably will never have 150 devices on your router at any given time!

*find out our internets ip details*
    i had awful guff with this online because bad wording of ip addresses and such was used , SO I WILL MAKE THIS CLEAR

*run a command prompt, on your desktop click 'start'-'run'-'cmd' in the command prompt , type ipconfig/all and click 'enter'

*now, write down the numbers for these addresses: IP GATEWAY,DNS SERVER 1, DNS SERVER 2 they will be used later on.

*fiddling with your router*(in the good way!)
    *okay , now we are going to open some ports on your netopia router, DONT WORRY ITS NOT DANGEROUS, because we will only let these ports be opened when your ps3 'asks for them' so to speak, and considering your ps3 doesnt get viruses, you are safe!

*in your internet address bar type in your 'IP GATEWAY' you just got from the command prompt, just the numbers and dots, no need for a 'www' or any of that! on netopia routers the gateway is generally 192.168.1.254 so i will use that for now.

type 192.168.1.254 in the browser address window. and your netopia router page should appear, im gonna make this as easy as possible , so bear with me for a minute, were now going to 'open' and 'enable' the ports and 'enable' your ps3's ip address to know to recieve these ports.

*okay click EXPERT MODE on the left hand column, click 'YES , ENTER EXPERT MODE', double click the word 'configure, go down and click on 'NAT' click 'STATIC NAT' click ythe dropdown icon, see if your ip address is there, if so click it, click on done, if this works, igore the paragraph in brackets

(if not i think you have to sign into psn using the new ip beforehand, im not sure, to do that just use the custom ip and use the same settings but use you GATEWAY as the bar saying DEFAULT ROUTER , then come back to this step)

now im going to list a range of ports and what to do with them , we will call the example port aaaa .
    click on NAT as you did earlier,(notice how the ps3 ip is there , listed under static ip? thats good)
    click DEFINE CUSTOM SERVICE click in 'PORT FORWARDING' , select next , type anything in the service name, something that you will know its related to the ps3,

see the settings for 'global port range' if its only one port thats being entered enter the same port in the left and right hand boxes, in every case , enter the lower port in the box below saying 'base port' even if theres only one port, and chage the TCP/UDP settings according to every port.

heres the ports , repeat the same process for each one, after that window, select the static ip address you made in the drop-down list so it gets forwarded only for the ps3

* TCP port 80
    TCP port 443
    TCP port 5223
    UDP port 3478-3479
    UDP port 3658-3659

*now we 'enable' them all, when your done, click NAT on the left hand side, click the dropdown menu that has 'age of empires' written on it and scroll to the bottom, click on the ports you made with the asterix beside them (*) and click enable , then enter the ps3 ip address in the bar , to 'enable them just for the ps3' okay ,

*now click 'configure ' on the left and then click 'connection ' and tick the box that says "upnp"

now,to summarise, we should have , when we click NAT on the left hand column, a:

static NAT address, enabled, thats the ip youre going to use on your ps3
    7 ps3 ports, all enabled to the 'host device' of your ps3's ip

*now , enter basic mode, click firewall, and set to low, this isnt dangerous as long as you have a desktop firewall such as windows or mcafee etc...
    save changes, and RESTART YOUR ROUTER!

now, turn your ps3 off, then on again , now go to Network settings and click network settings, im putting this in bullet form for easiness

-wireless/wired(though this guide is based on a wireless connection)
    -CUSTOM
    -enter security settings
    -now for your ip info CLICK MANUAL
    -where it says 'ip address' enter the STATIC IP ADDRESS YOU MADE UP
    -subnet mask is normally 255.255.255.0
    -DEFAULT ROUTER, this wants you to input your GATEWAY number you wrote down
    -DNS 1/primary , enter the one you wrote down,

i dont think the ps3 needs it , try it without using the 2nd one,

-cick NEXT
    -'proxy server' DONT ENABLE THAT
    -upnp , enable if you could in your router

thats all , save settings and do connection test, see what nat type comes up at the end, if its 2 , its perfect! dont do anyhting to your router and congratz! if not , perhaps a bit of the guide was overlooked, if that isnt the case either leave me a post and ill try and help,

good luck

b2thaza!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is your third thread on the subject. NAT1 or NAT3 only on eircom netopia. NAT2 reported possible on newer model eircom netopia routers. I had 3347nwg router and it only worked for NAT1. Also had a replacement 2247 router and NAT1 also on that. Changed my router so I could get NAT2 to

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6769091/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C12160256/c_2/2%7Ccat_12160256%7CWireless+networking%7C12160263/c_3/3%7Ccat_12160263%7CModem+routers%7C12160266.htm

You can get it cheaper if you look. It has the DMZ option to allow the PS3 bypass the firewall and be on NAT2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AlanC275

To get Nat Type 1 on eircom netopia go to network settings,
    go custom settings click everything normally till you get to PPPOE
    Click into that then set username as eircom@eircom.net and password as broudband1............finish as normal and test connection it works! None of that port forwarding.

wedgess21 wrote: »
    i found this guide on the internet and it supposedly works for some i done everything it says and it doesnr work i have the same router and all.the keep it carlow thing doesnt work for me either the ip address times out and fails can anyone help?????????????????????:confused:

hey guys, heres a guide to having absolutley FLAWLESS ps3 online, very important parts shall have an asterix (*) to the left hand side of the post,
    i shall also give brief explanations of why youre doing these things, and what they actually DO:

basically your ps3 connection has a NAT type , this basically says how your connection to your router is, TYPE 1 means its directly connected to the internet so its perfect, TYPE 3 means it can connect to the internet but the connection isnt perfect/very laggy, a result of this is not being able to go into chat rooms, ea nation games not working etc. well we try to get NAT type 2 which is wirelessly connected to the internet , but perfectly connected here we go!!

*give your ps3 a static ip address*
    *okay this isnt too complicated, see every time a router gets accessed by a device (ps3, desktop, laptop etc.) it assignes it an ip address randomly depending on who logs in first,

on ps3
    disable the media server function in 'network settings'
    do an 'automatic' network connection and see if nat type 3 comes up at the end, if so, were on track

we need our ps3 to have an ip address that isnt given out randomly, as we will need it to have the same address,so you write down a new ip address, say 192.168.1.150 we use .150 because you probably will never have 150 devices on your router at any given time!

*find out our internets ip details*
    i had awful guff with this online because bad wording of ip addresses and such was used , SO I WILL MAKE THIS CLEAR

*run a command prompt, on your desktop click 'start'-'run'-'cmd' in the command prompt , type ipconfig/all and click 'enter'

*now, write down the numbers for these addresses: IP GATEWAY,DNS SERVER 1, DNS SERVER 2 they will be used later on.

*fiddling with your router*(in the good way!)
    *okay , now we are going to open some ports on your netopia router, DONT WORRY ITS NOT DANGEROUS, because we will only let these ports be opened when your ps3 'asks for them' so to speak, and considering your ps3 doesnt get viruses, you are safe!

*in your internet address bar type in your 'IP GATEWAY' you just got from the command prompt, just the numbers and dots, no need for a 'www' or any of that! on netopia routers the gateway is generally 192.168.1.254 so i will use that for now.

type 192.168.1.254 in the browser address window. and your netopia router page should appear, im gonna make this as easy as possible , so bear with me for a minute, were now going to 'open' and 'enable' the ports and 'enable' your ps3's ip address to know to recieve these ports.

*okay click EXPERT MODE on the left hand column, click 'YES , ENTER EXPERT MODE', double click the word 'configure, go down and click on 'NAT' click 'STATIC NAT' click ythe dropdown icon, see if your ip address is there, if so click it, click on done, if this works, igore the paragraph in brackets

(if not i think you have to sign into psn using the new ip beforehand, im not sure, to do that just use the custom ip and use the same settings but use you GATEWAY as the bar saying DEFAULT ROUTER , then come back to this step)

now im going to list a range of ports and what to do with them , we will call the example port aaaa .
    click on NAT as you did earlier,(notice how the ps3 ip is there , listed under static ip? thats good)
    click DEFINE CUSTOM SERVICE click in 'PORT FORWARDING' , select next , type anything in the service name, something that you will know its related to the ps3,

see the settings for 'global port range' if its only one port thats being entered enter the same port in the left and right hand boxes, in every case , enter the lower port in the box below saying 'base port' even if theres only one port, and chage the TCP/UDP settings according to every port.

heres the ports , repeat the same process for each one, after that window, select the static ip address you made in the drop-down list so it gets forwarded only for the ps3

* TCP port 80
    TCP port 443
    TCP port 5223
    UDP port 3478-3479
    UDP port 3658-3659

*now we 'enable' them all, when your done, click NAT on the left hand side, click the dropdown menu that has 'age of empires' written on it and scroll to the bottom, click on the ports you made with the asterix beside them (*) and click enable , then enter the ps3 ip address in the bar , to 'enable them just for the ps3' okay ,

*now click 'configure ' on the left and then click 'connection ' and tick the box that says "upnp"

now,to summarise, we should have , when we click NAT on the left hand column, a:

static NAT address, enabled, thats the ip youre going to use on your ps3
    7 ps3 ports, all enabled to the 'host device' of your ps3's ip

*now , enter basic mode, click firewall, and set to low, this isnt dangerous as long as you have a desktop firewall such as windows or mcafee etc...
    save changes, and RESTART YOUR ROUTER!

now, turn your ps3 off, then on again , now go to Network settings and click network settings, im putting this in bullet form for easiness

-wireless/wired(though this guide is based on a wireless connection)
    -CUSTOM
    -enter security settings
    -now for your ip info CLICK MANUAL
    -where it says 'ip address' enter the STATIC IP ADDRESS YOU MADE UP
    -subnet mask is normally 255.255.255.0
    -DEFAULT ROUTER, this wants you to input your GATEWAY number you wrote down
    -DNS 1/primary , enter the one you wrote down,

i dont think the ps3 needs it , try it without using the 2nd one,

-cick NEXT
    -'proxy server' DONT ENABLE THAT
    -upnp , enable if you could in your router

thats all , save settings and do connection test, see what nat type comes up at the end, if its 2 , its perfect! dont do anyhting to your router and congratz! if not , perhaps a bit of the guide was overlooked, if that isnt the case either leave me a post and ill try and help,

good luck

b2thaza!

To get Nat Type 1 on eircom netopia go to network settings,
    go custom settings click everything normally till you get to PPPOE
    Click into that then set username as eircom@eircom.net and password as broudband1............finish as normal and test connection it works! None of that port forwarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Opening ports on the router through NAT only seemed to work for me when I lowered my firewall down from HIGH none of the ports were showing open and I couldnt figure out what the hell was wrong. try it and see

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why open a 2 year old thread?:confused:

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why open a 2 year old thread?:confused:

To help people change it..if you dont like it then **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Wow it's all kicking off in here tonight! I think everyone is still a little edgey from the rugby this morning....

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Wow it's all kicking off in here tonight! I think everyone is still a little edgey from the rugby this morning....

Dont even like rugby lad was just trying to help but anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

AlanC275 wrote: »
    Dont even like rugby lad was just trying to help but anyway

you're about 2 years too late for helping ,lad:pac:

eircom dont supply netopia's anymore

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    you're about 2 years too late for helping ,lad:pac:

eircom dont supply netopia's anymore

True :) But many people still have them and have problems with them when it comes to NAT types...for example I only discovered how to fix my NAT type problem a few days ago...so I could be helping people who were the same as me...lad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

you're missing the point,dougal.

i know you feel proud for sorting it out for yourself but replying to somebody that had that issue 2 years ok ago is a waste of your broadband.

are you going to start helping people who have windows 98 get their dial up connection going?and the last post in that thread was sept 1999?

just looking in the ps3 forum alone there's 4 fresh threads lookingfor help with nat settings.you wouldnt be getting friendly stick if you posted in them.

also your reply to whitereble could get you a ban if reported

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    you're missing the point,dougal.

i know you feel proud for sorting it out for yourself but replying to somebody that had that issue 2 years ok ago is a waste of your broadband.

are you going to start helping people who have windows 98 get their dial up connection going?and the last post in that thread was sept 1999?

just looking in the ps3 forum alone there's 4 fresh threads lookingfor help with nat settings.you wouldnt be getting friendly stick if you posted in them.

also your reply to whitereble could get you a ban if reported

Hahaha lad your sum nerd...have fun with your right hand lastnight?? And get me banned i dont care its only boards ya fool

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Spankings administered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement