Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Learning Thermostat arrives in the UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 karlgibs

I have been waiting on this as well. It looks like installation is free in the UK and is "strongly recommended" any idea of how difficult it will be or if there is any companies providing installation in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

not as sexy as the US model.

also theres no multi zone, so its not really ideal for Irish set ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

I was just looking in to ask the same question. I'll definitely be looking at getting one, however the installation may be an issue.... I've used it over in Canada and it's fantastic. I've also used Tado but was holding off for Nest as it's the slicker of the options.

They do support multiple zone, just with multiple controls (Cha Ching!!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

How did you find the Tado? What's better about the Nest?

anybody ordered this yet or set one up ? I'm just a little worried about the heat link setup also US version requested a post code for local weather wondering if UK also has this restriction. If I thought in would be in Ireland in 3 months I would wait but it could be a year.

• Advertisement

its nearly summer and unless you buy two then you can't do multi zone, so you can't isolate just the hot water. so if I were you i'd wait till the start of the next cold season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Salus Have something like this www.salus-tech.com
    Dat therm is bit more expensive www.warmworld.co.uk
    irish supplier www.nrgawareness.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Salus have something
    data therm as well a bit expensive though
    nrg awareness is irish supplier

Looks like the UK launch actually included Ireland and Weather support for Ireland was added recently. I just ordered mine today from the Nest website and it ships free to Ireland. I know it is coming in to summer but the Mrs is recking my head about the temperature for the young baby so hopefully this will help :-)
    http://support.nest.com/article/In-which-countries-are-Nest-Products-available

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Very cool. What kind of heating system do you have? Would be great if you could report back as to how its working for you.

I've got a gas system boiler powering 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs). Each zone has a valve in the hotpress controlled by a wired thermostat (again, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs), so I'm curious to see if nest can both control the heating to come on and off as well as controlling the valves that semd hot water to each zone.

Pete

quote="karlgibs;89928016"]Looks like the UK launch actually included Ireland and Weather support for Ireland was added recently. I just ordered mine today from the Nest website and it ships free to Ireland. I know it is coming in to summer but the Mrs is recking my head about the temperature for the young baby so hopefully this will help :-)

Cheers[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Can it control multiple zones.

I still don't know why people would want to turn there heating on by phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

JohnnieK wrote: »

According to Climote's van advertisements, it apparently reduces your heating bills by 40%!
    Where they get their figures is beyond me.

The only benefit I can see is for holiday homes where you can turn on the heating remotely when adverse conditions exist.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Can it control multiple zones.

I think its more a case of people turning off the hearting.

Say if you have your heating set to come on at 7 but won't be home till 20. , well that's 3 hours worth if heating your saving.

With regards having other family members in the house I can't see it remote features being if much use. The misses would kill me if I kept turning off the heat while she is at home.

This us where I think tado has an advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

ted1 wrote: »
    I think its more a case of people turning off the hearting.

Say if you have your heating set to come on at 7 but won't be home till 20. , well that's 3 hours worth if heating your saving.

With regards having other family members in the house I can't see it remote features being if much use. The misses would kill me if I kept turning off the heat while she is at home.

This us where I think tado has an advantage

It might possibly have "some" benefit if everyone in the home comes home at always varying times but if that was the case, the heating could be put on upon arriving home. Most modern gas boilers will have the rads hopping within 5 - 10 mins.
    We are mainly creatures of habit & generally get home within 30 mins of the same time everyday. So I cannot see the savings claimed by these companies.
    I think it's more the novelty & "must have" idea of them.
    NEST, on the other hand maybe of benefit if it does actually learn your comfort & usage levels. The only thing I might find annoying is would it switch on when I don't really want or need it to be on?
    For me, I think the way forward is more individual control within the home, so instead of 2 or 3 zones time & temperature controlled, I would like to see every room time & temperature controlled similar to decent UFH systems. This will greatly reduce the volume of water within the home being heated & direct heating to areas that are being required. Cost & system parameters are the issue but some retrofits such as manifolds radiators & new builds could easily be done this way.

shane 007 wrote: »
    It might possibly have "some" benefit if everyone in the home comes home at always varying times but if that was the case, the heating could be put on upon arriving home. Most modern gas boilers will have the rads hopping within 5 - 10 mins.
    We are mainly creatures of habit & generally get home within 30 mins of the same time everyday. So I cannot see the savings claimed by these companies.
    I think it's more the novelty & "must have" idea of them.
    NEST, on the other hand maybe of benefit if it does actually learn your comfort & usage levels. The only thing I might find annoying is would it switch on when I don't really want or need it to be on?
    For me, I think the way forward is more individual control within the home, so instead of 2 or 3 zones time & temperature controlled, I would like to see every room time & temperature controlled similar to decent UFH systems. This will greatly reduce the volume of water within the home being heated & direct heating to areas that are being required. Cost & system parameters are the issue but some retrofits such as manifolds radiators & new builds could easily be done this way.

Totally Agree, lots of people don't even have zones in the houses and are spending 300+ on fancy controls where as spending 800 on zoning the heating would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

karlgibs wrote: »
    Looks like the UK launch actually included Ireland and Weather support for Ireland was added recently. I just ordered mine today from the Nest website and it ships free to Ireland. I know it is coming in to summer but the Mrs is recking my head about the temperature for the young baby so hopefully this will help :-)

Cheers

@Karlgibs Any joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has installed the Nest yet and got it to work OK.
    - What type of Boiler system do you have?
    - Had it made any difference?
    - Would it qualify at the SEAI as an update to the Heating Control and be eligible for a grant?

Thanks,
    F

I have it installed a few months now and absolutely love it. we have a new baby so it has given us piece of mind and meant I don't have to go up and down the stairs to turn on the heating. I don't have different zones so perhaps I don't get as much value as others might but in comparison to the basic time I have before I am happy to have spent the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for getting back, great to hear that it's working so well.
    How did you install it: Yourself, or did you get a professional installer?

got a professional who is a neighbour of mine. in fairness It was pretty easy I just wasn't confident when it came to anything gas related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Does it also heat your hot water for showers? Or is it just the central heating?

scratch that. I can see here that it goes alongside the existing thermostat-not replacing it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R26YKHDMVQ9I38/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GD8NRYE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Looking to get a nest or something similar.

karlgibs where are you based? Perhaps you could send me on details of the person who install yours.

I'm in an apartment and ideally would like to have 3 zones (water, living room and bedrooms). Would it be possible to have three zones using the nest?

Shane732 wrote: »
    Looking to get a nest or something similar.

karlgibs where are you based? Perhaps you could send me on details of the person who install yours.

I'm in an apartment and ideally would like to have 3 zones (water, living room and bedrooms). Would it be possible to have three zones using the nest?

The Nest can't control the hot water. Only the central heating. It hooks in to your existing thermostat if that one is used already as a combo (for hot water and CH).

Advertisement