Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what make of VDSL2 modem will work with VODAFONE fibre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

yes they do... they have been using f1000 modems for a bout 2 months now

I must be mistaken :D You obviously have inside knowledge on this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mr_D

One recurring requirement is the need for the router to be "vectoring enabled". It seems that the corresponding standard is the ITU-T G.993.5. Interestingly I checked the documentation for VF's Huawei HG658c and this standard is not listed among those implemented (it mentions G.993.1, G.993.2, G.992.1, G992.3, G992.5, T1.413, but no G993.5). The router I was thinking of using to replace the Huawei is the TP-Link TD-W9980 - again, it implements a bunch of ITU-T standards but no mention of G.993.5. Would anyone know how to check if a router is "vectoring enabled" (beside checking for a mention of G.993.5), or if the TP-Link is know to work with VF's e-Fibre?

Thanks,
    Mr_D

Mr_D wrote: »
    One recurring requirement is the need for the router to be "vectoring enabled". It seems that the corresponding standard is the ITU-T G.993.5. Interestingly I checked the documentation for VF's Huawei HG658c and this standard is not listed among those implemented (it mentions G.993.1, G.993.2, G.992.1, G992.3, G992.5, T1.413, but no G993.5). The router I was thinking of using to replace the Huawei is the TP-Link TD-W9980 - again, it implements a bunch of ITU-T standards but no mention of G.993.5. Would anyone know how to check if a router is "vectoring enabled" (beside checking for a mention of G.993.5), or if the TP-Link is know to work with VF's e-Fibre?

Thanks,
    Mr_D

The HG658c is fully vectoring compliant (and tested) and many people here are using with with full vectored speeds.

If you use a non vectoring enabled modem on the network, there is a very high chance your port will be disconnected as you will introduce noise. The "problem" with vectorign is that all devices need to use vectoring - "aliens" on the network make the network sad :)

Unless you are 100% sure vectoring is enabled in both the hardware & software, dont waste your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Umif you're buyung your own just go with a draytek. In use with vectored cabs atm, no problems. And a great feature set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Guys, my exchange is currently being upgraded to eFibre (in build phase). I am connected direct to it (no cabinet around or planned).

I have a spare VDSL2 modem (with vectoring) in the house.

Any idea if I will be able to just plug it in when the exchange gets finished or do I need Vodafone to do some hooky pokey on their side?

• Advertisement

You'll still need to be jumpered and most likely have a new NTU fitted. Order as normal and then swap your modem afterwards.

ED E wrote: »
    You'll still need to be jumpered and most likely have a new NTU fitted. Order as normal and then swap your modem afterwards.

100% correct

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

So is it now possible to use your own Vectoring enabled router standalone?

I'm happy with my Vodafone router but I would much prefer my own.

So is it now possible to use your own Vectoring enabled router standalone?

I'm happy with my Vodafone router but I would much prefer my own.

Yep, just gotta be VDSL2 with vectoring and you're good to go. Gotta configure a few bits but its only slightly more complex than ADSL.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/368968/draytek-vigor-2830n

Thats what you want, but she aint cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yep, just gotta be VDSL2 with vectoring and you're good to go. Gotta configure a few bits but its only slightly more complex than ADSL.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/wifi-routers/368968/draytek-vigor-2830n

Thats what you want, but she aint cheap.

Good to know, cheers Ed.

I think I'm going to just keep it the way it is.

• Advertisement

Good to know, cheers Ed.

I think I'm going to just keep it the way it is.

Provided you know what you're doing & the modem does not cause interference on the network (Vectoring etc) then you can use your own device...

Vodafone and others though automatically keep firmware etc updated on the device (which usually fixes bugs and security issues if they are ever found) though and also add new services from time to time - you mis sout on this using your own device, plus any support or troubleshooting is also lost.

I guess it comes down to what you are happy with and how techie you are!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bob32

HI im trying to port forwarding on the HG658C canot get it to work any help on this thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭swoofer

try this but may not be ideal, will give you the idea.

Advanced menu -> NAT -> Port Mapping -> New
    Type: customization
    Interface: PTM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_VID_10 (not the default, which is ATM…)
    Protocol: TCP/UDP
    Remote host: (leave blank)
    external start port:xx
    external end port: xx
    internal host: 192.168.1.xx (or whatever you chose at step 4)
    internal port: xx
    mapping name: (any name)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

They wont be happy with that, the ISPs want people using their own gear to enable vectoring in the future.

these 4 modems work perfectly on eircom efibre and support vectoring.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-dsl-n66u-concurrent-dual-band-wireless-n900-adsl-router-934D.html

the asus is cheap and also not bad and has wireless AC dual band wifi - strong wifi signal - airplay devices wont work at present needs a firmware update developed

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-dsl-ac68u-dual-band-wireless-ac1900-gigabit-adsl-vdsl-modem-9PP3.html

considerably more expensive wireless ac dual band - good modem - very strong wifi signal - works on FTTH as well

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/draytek-v2860vnp-draytek-vigor-2860vn-plus-voip-wifi-vdsl-9LKS.html?src=3

this draytek is pricey but extremely good but only has dual band wireless N

and

http://www.dabs.ie/products/draytek-vigor-2760n-adsl-or-vdsl-with-wifi-802-11n-router-8PMQ.html?src=3

this draytek is slightly cheaper but extremely good but only has dual band wireless N

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Whats the position with customer support if you use a 3rd party and need troubleshooting assistance from VF? Will they insist that you connect up the original router before they will help?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

degsie wrote: »
    Whats the position with customer support if you use a 3rd party and need troubleshooting assistance from VF? Will they insist that you connect up the original router before they will help?

for vf using a 3rd party modem on IPoE encapsulation shouldnt require a password

try these settings

encapsulation: IPoE

VLAN 0 & 10

MTU: 1500

DNS:
    Preferred DNS: 89.19.64.164
    Alternate DNS: 89.19.64.36

these are eircom wholesale's required settings for the cab to allow a vf customer's modem connect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

^^^^
    Not sure you get my point. If you are using a 3rd party router and you are having a problem with internet access which you suspect to be on VF's side, when you ring the CS robots they will be working from a script which assumes you are using THEIR router. If you mention you are using a non VF router, will they throw their hands in the air and insist you reconnect the original router for them to move the investigation further? This happens with Sky btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What's the spec of the Vodafone fibre modem? Is it at least N capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

mad muffin wrote: »
    What's the spec of the Vodafone fibre modem? Is it at least N capable?

Its wireless n but uses internal antennae and is single band only. Gigabit ports though.

I have mine setup in bridge mode since day 1. Initially I was using a basic tp-link router which had better coverage in my house but I recently replaced it with a netgear r7000 and the difference is like night and day; even though none of my gear is wireless ac I am getting good improvements over 2.4ghz band and amazing results with 5ghz. It also helps that none of my neighbors are operating at 5ghz.

I'd be somewhat wary of using a third party modem in case there was a fault on my line or if eircom wholesale applied some unusual vdsl upgrade that required specific firmware for modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mr_D

Its wireless n but uses internal antennae and is single band only. Gigabit ports though.

Could you double check this please, I thought this router was only 100MBit capable (all four LAN ports at 100Mbps)? Which model do you have, is it also the Huawei HG658c?

Many thanks,
    Mr_D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 john1213

HI, has anyone figured out the settings needed to use a a different router than the one supplied by Vodafone for fibre broadband or is bridging still the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

john1213 wrote: »
    HI, has anyone figured out the settings needed to use a a different router than the one supplied by Vodafone for fibre broadband or is bridging still the only option?

Tried posting a solution but it keeps telling me I can't post images or urls

bbpete wrote: »

I'll try a different way.

UN yourserial number at (@) vffttc . ie
    PW Broadband
    VPN 10

Connection type PTM_vd10

bbpete wrote: »

I'll try a different way.

UN yourserial number at (@) vffttc . ie
    PW Broadband
    VPN 10

Connection type PTM_vd10

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DunneJ

Hi bbpete,
    Just a quick question, when you say serial number is this the serial number of the new (Third Party) gateway or the serial number of the Vfe supplied gateway ?

Cheers

Hi,
    It's the serial number of the original VF Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DunneJ

Thanks very much, I'm planning to completely replace the Vodafone router so just wanted to check the settings for the new one. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi Guys
    I bought a Netgear R7000 AC1900 last week and cannot get it to connect to Digiweb I believe that it does viber as I was advised to get a vdsl router which I also belive the R7000 is
    does anyone know how to connect this router to viber on Digiweb I am concerned because on the installation pictures that come in the box it shows it connected to a modem which I don't have
    the guy in Digiweb has been a great help, but doesn't know everything about Netgear stuff, there was a fault on my line which was fixed yesterday ,but I still can't connect,
    so I'm back on my old router which is less than reliable and has only 3 ports working
    if I need to return this router and buy another one I would rather do it quickly as they may not take a return because it's my fault for buying the wrong router
    as always any help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hi Guys
    I bought a Netgear R7000 AC1900 last week and cannot get it to connect to Digiweb I believe that it does viber as I was advised to get a vdsl router which I also belive the R7000 is
    does anyone know how to connect this router to viber on Digiweb I am concerned because on the installation pictures that come in the box it shows it connected to a modem which I don't have
    the guy in Digiweb has been a great help, but doesn't know everything about Netgear stuff, there was a fault on my line which was fixed yesterday ,but I still can't connect,
    so I'm back on my old router which is less than reliable and has only 3 ports working
    if I need to return this router and buy another one I would rather do it quickly as they may not take a return because it's my fault for buying the wrong router
    as always any help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    D
    That router is a dsl router i.e. Cable router.
    Do you plug in a telephone line or an Ethernet cable into into your modem?
    I know didiweb used to have their own routers cables similiar to UPC but not familiar with how they run fibre?
    If it's a telephone line then the ASUS dsl-ac68u will work perfectly as I'm using it for my sky fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi Blazer
    Thanks for the reply, I have a small box that the phone line comes into it has a phone line and an Ethernet connection on it the old router is plugged into the Ethernet side I don't know what that means but I get over 100mb's and was upgrade outside the house to fiber but not inside the connection is 10 years old I think

Advertisement