Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blahblahbla

The contact page is down does anyone have his email?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tryde

http://t.co/1toJFWK3 - an online petition to European Parliament - try to spread this around as well, spam it on all your social networks etc.
    thxmuch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Petition signed and facebooked.

Emails sent to my three local TD's:
    Dear Minister ____

I am appealing to you as a member of cabinet to press for a proper debate on the introduction of Sean Sherlock's SI on copyright protection.

Freedom of expression should be protected at all costs.

While large social media companies such as Facebook and YouTube may have staff and systems in place to monitor breaches of copyright, small start ups of the future will be stifled by these regulations.

This SI will at a minimum discourage innovation, at it's worse it could be used as a form of censorship.

This is not something that should be signed into law without a proper debate. If Ireland is to truly become a knowledge economy, we must protect the open internet.

Yours Sincerely,

hardCopy (not my real name)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭squonk

DeVore wrote: »
    According to Mr Sherlock, he's going to sign the instrument regardless.

And then the dail will have a debate on it!

Sounds like Sherlock would fit in well in China or Iran!
    By the way, my mobile phone number was put into the hand of Mr Sherlock last night by Stephen Donnelly with a promise he and I would discuss this today. So far no contact.

I'm not an enemy here, I want to find a way that works and isnt DUMB.

While I applaud the efforts to distribute deputies contact email addresses and phone numbers, I'm not sure it'll make a blind bit of difference. First of all, given that most of them won't realise the implications in the first place and, most importantly of all, the Whip system where all deputies are bound to a vote lest they lose the whip and suffer the consequences.

I'm not feeling any sense of democracy at work right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

serfboard wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about this.

I reckon most politicians haven't a clue about this stuff, or its implications.

Once Google/Facebook/The IDA come and explain the potential consequences to them, they'll soon change their minds.

The only problem is that our government is pig ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if they still tried to pass it and downplay any of the potential legal nightmares. Talk in vague-ish terms about any potential problems. And leave it as a ridiculous legacy of this government.

Jeez, I didn't realise I was this cynical about the government

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Signed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sherlock's website is down.

Anybody have his email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

According to Mr Sherlock, he's going to sign the instrument regardless.

And then the dail will have a debate on it!

Considering the collective knowledge in that room, this scares the sh*t out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Signed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

hardCopy wrote: »

Click me and scroll down to the bottom of the article for his, and his boss, e-mail. I've dropped one in already to both of them but I don't expect any response (as usual).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Signed

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Signed. And I sent an email to each of my TDs and Sherlock.

I ripped some of your post off though DeVore.. hope you don't mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daveheff

hardCopy wrote: »

This is off the labour site:
    Sean Sherlock TD
    Minister of State, Department of Enterprise, Jobs & Innovation and Department of Education & Skills with responsibility for Research & Innovation

Work Address
    Davis (Flemings) Lane
    Rear Main Street
    Mallow

Home Address
    Davis Lane
    Mallow
    Co. Cork

Tel
    Phone 022 53523
    Fax 022 57761
    Mobile 087 7402057

Email
    sean.sherlock@oir.ie

Website
    http://seansherlock.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

please explain how this amount of power got put in the hands of one edjit...

aren't there supposed to be checks and balances?

Basically, they're saying that it's just a restatement of what's already in law so therefore there does not have to be a vote on it. Now whether this is actually the case hasn't been tested in court so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

totally agree with what you're saying, but your message isn't showing up when I open boards in Google. I'm just getting a black screen. I've had to come on using Explorer to be able to access the site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Signed. There appears to be a lack of coverage on ACTA on mainstream news...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Phone message left - Lets see how long it takes for him to come back.

petition signed

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnydenims

tried to email sherlock from his website and it was down i presume because of traffic to the site. good on yeah boards.ie for your response to this matter

Obviously, mainstream news stations are associates of MAFIAA, hence it's in their best interest that ACTA passes through unnoticed. Quite a joke, considering media were always considered the ones fighting for freedom of speech and justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

tryde wrote: »

Obviously, mainstream news stations are associates of MAFIAA, hence it's in their best interest that ACTA passes through unnoticed. Quite a joke, considering media were always considered the ones fighting for freedom of speech and justice.

Exactly my point, media now seems to be about deception, secrets and a lot of smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

According to what im reading the bill has to pass through the EU parliment, in which case we all need to bombard our EU meps with emails and calls highlighting what bull this bill actually is.

My question is does anyone know what date they intend to vote on this in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Thanks for the info devore.

I particularly like this page which (claims) to email not only Sean Sherlock, but many other TD's

http://contact.ie/webform/stop-sopa-and-acta-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Signed and emails sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 daveheff

Signed and emails sent - got some replies from those newspaper emails saying thank you for your letter. But I fear we are too late :(

draylander wrote: »
    According to what im reading the bill has to pass through the EU parliment, in which case we all need to bombard our EU meps with emails and calls highlighting what bull this bill actually is.

My question is does anyone know what date they intend to vote on this in the EU?

Someone posted this before: http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/ow1v5/acta_note_from_marietje_schaake_member_of_the/

It mentions the dates, which are not 100% set in stone yet, however should give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wheelbarrow12

signed

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Signed.

Absolutely disgusted. Only yesterday they decide to give away 1.25 billion of tax payers money to unsecured bond holders, now they want to take away our civil liberties!!!

People rolled over about the money, but this is different, this will directly affect the majority of internet users in the country, both now and in the future.

Apart from signing the petition, What can we do to make an impact here folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

draylander wrote: »

Theres 2 different discussions going on, this letter is about a specifically irish piece of legislation being pushed for by Sean Sherlock, another issue is indeed ACTA but it is being discuseed in its own thread and it would be better to keep the issues sperate to avoid convusion even if the ultimate goal is to have them both defeated for similar reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

empacher wrote: »
    Trying to understand the wording. But does this mean as little as a youtube video posted here that infringes on copyright could shut this site down?

Remember that RIAA (US version of Irma) have sued grannies and 14 year old children for copyright infringement, the idea that the content oligarchy will play fair is laughable. Watch out for 100s of spurious injunctions against people for singing happy birthday and other bizarre injunctions

Advertisement