Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

batistuta9 wrote: »
    mines reads like this so it's locked, right?

[x] network 5
    [] network subset 0
    [] service provider 0
    [] corporate 0
    [] SIM 0

but do you know what the rest of it means?

i'm new enough to using android phones so looking for some info

I'm with three - as i think you are - & it's says the following in the services menu >> service info >> Configuration. Rooting status: Bootloader unlock allowed: No

what exactly does this mean? are you not able to root the phone?

Yes, it's locked alright! The others are different locks that can be applied to the phone, but because yours is network locked, then it'll only accept that networks sim card.

As for the bootloader, I think you may be able to root it, but not install custom ROMs! Maybe ED E can explain that one further?
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    when i connected the phone to my laptop & installed Sony PC Companion it says new software is available - 6.0.A.3.75

i currently have .62 on the phone & i'am with 3, but from reading this thread i gathered 3 weren't going to release these (or whatever you call it) & just wait for ICS, so if i install the .75 firmware will the phone stop working or anything like that?

also from here: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-s/ it's says there's the latest android software from sony is available, would that be the .75 firmware as well or ICS & again can i/should i install it?

though on the phone in the update Center it says "your phone already has the latest available system updates"

Just hook it up to PC companion and install the latest firmware (.75) for your phone.

No it will not stop working. Why would it?

.75 has some bug fixes for the phone, is a bit smoother and more responsive than the .62 that came on your phone. It is still GB, and not ICS, but that is on it's way fairly soon. (Due for release in late June)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

Does the xperia S have DNLA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

so-it-has-begun-spiderman-YeHYW2.jpg

ICS IS ROLLING OUT! Wooooot

Sweet as a nut!!! :pac:

Edit: link

• Advertisement

Nice, when do we reckon we will officially get this?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Nice, when do we reckon we will officially get this?

You can have this right now, if you are willing to use the Flashtool program and install the file that's floating around xda!

Otherwise, it's a 6 week rollout, and your version could be released to your network at any time during this, probably having to wait a little bit longer whilst your network customises it for their customers and then releases it!

Even if you are unbranded (the software isn't network specific), you still need to wait until the country specific update is released by Sony!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

YES, getting this as soon as I get home WHEEE

Swiss Generic FTF is on XDA alright, only a very small batch have gotten it officially so far.

Gonna update later tonight myself.

Also, this is an in place update but ITS RECOMMENDED in any such case to FACTORY RESTORE.

Before and After, .67 IRL(Three) to LT26_6.1.A.0.452_Generic_CH, up 6 but practically faster I think.

461952_2058599402731_1783308630_o.jpg
    556128_2247086434789_366057039_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Noticing any nice changes yourself?

Thinking about Flashing but might just wait for the Meteor update to be pushed out (bit of an Android noob)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Can anyone confirm battery improvements on ICS, thats the major reason I need this update.

Can anyone confirm battery improvements on ICS, thats the major reason I need this update.

Not sure about battery life but charging seems slower :S

FM Radio broken for anyone else on ICS?

ED E wrote: »
    FM Radio broken for anyone else on ICS?

Tested it there, and it's working fine for me!
    On the stock swiss 4.0.4 and rooted!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Tested it there, and it's working fine for me!
    On the stock swiss 4.0.4 and rooted!

I probs should have been more specific in my post :S It works for me, but detects headphones as a headset, despite them working fine for other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I probs should have been more specific in my post :S It works for me, but detects headphones as a headset, despite them working fine for other players.

Which headphones are you using?
    The ones that come with the phone are a headset as they have a built in mic.
    I connected some old apple headphones, and it recognised them as headphones and said it was gonna use the phones microphone instead.

Got the dreaded yellow tint today, thank god it seems to have disappeared by itself!

Not good to know it'sstill there looming

Got the dreaded yellow tint today, thank god it seems to have disappeared by itself!

It's still on my 'new' screen!!

Pain in my fcuking face :mad:

• Advertisement

1. Install Stability Test
    2. Run for half an hour
    3. Open white webpage(google.com)
    4. Know for sure :)

1. Install Stability Test
    2. Run for half an hour
    3. Open white webpage(google.com)
    4. Know for sure :)

Yeah it's back, are Sony themselves the ones to contact on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Got it updated. Face unlock is terrible.

Camera slider makes no sense with physical button already there.

Depends on the network. Network(or carphone warehouse) are the point of sale so start there, but only if they use FonFix and not Fonmenders. Fonmenders dont acknowledge it as a problem and just send it back. Three use Fonmenders so no go there.

Fonfix are good, but they charge you E15 for dropping in a warranty repair which IMO is a scam practice, sony are paying them as is, but Sonys response to me was like, they can do what they like. This is BS imo as they're representing Sony Mobile in Ireland as they dont have a centre of their own.

In any case, call sony UK, numbers on the site, get the rep to make up a repair order with fonfix, then you'll be able to pop it in a jiffy bag and send it to them. Even ensured this'll be a fiver.

They'll replace the screen quicksharp *once its in stock*. There were shortages reported internationally but when I was in they had them.
    thebman wrote: »

Face unlock works really well. Just gotta know what to do.
    1. Set it up in natural daylight, and dont use it in bad lighting situations
    2. Lift the phone up to your chin level at least
    3. OPEN YOUR MOUTH A BIT
    4. I've found looking at the sensor helps too.

Tried on the Neo V and it didnt work so well, but its great on the XS.

Depends on the network. Network(or carphone warehouse) are the point of sale so start there, but only if they use FonFix and not Fonmenders. Fonmenders dont acknowledge it as a problem and just send it back. Three use Fonmenders so no go there.

Fonfix are good, but they charge you E15 for dropping in a warranty repair which IMO is a scam practice, sony are paying them as is, but Sonys response to me was like, they can do what they like. This is BS imo as they're representing Sony Mobile in Ireland as they dont have a centre of their own.

In any case, call sony UK, numbers on the site, get the rep to make up a repair order with fonfix, then you'll be able to pop it in a jiffy bag and send it to them. Even ensured this'll be a fiver.

They'll replace the screen quicksharp *once its in stock*. There were shortages reported internationally but when I was in they had them.

3. OPEN YOUR MOUTH A BIT

Thanks again, no insurance so will just have to see how it goes, as far as it seems its a defect and should be under warranty

3. OPEN YOUR MOUTH A BIT

But that is it not working. If it can't work all the time, it doesn't work.

Just like Siri or any other recognition tool. As far as the user is concerned, if it fails, it doesn't work.

It might be a good attempt at something hard to do and work in most conditions but if it isn't as reliable as pin unlock or pattern then why would you bother using it?

Just my opinion in it.

If you're looking for the best performance per say, clearly swipe is the way to go.

I've been using it for three days now and love it. If I'm in a dark room I just tap my thumb on the screen right after pressing the power button bypassing to the code. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When I run a game like 'Temple Run' or 'Cut the Rope' the back of the phone gets really warm. Is this normal?

flazio wrote: »
    When I run a game like 'Temple Run' or 'Cut the Rope' the back of the phone gets really warm. Is this normal?

It is for the Xperia S anyway, might not be too healthy for the hardware though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So if a dual core like this is prone to that, makes you wonder how quads like HTC One X and Samsung GS3 are coping without fans.

Advertisement