Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

APHCI

Comments

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I suppose there should be no surprise at the open door attitude towards electrians to become RGIs after all, RGII is run by RECI, so creating jobs for themselves more like.

At least they'll learn how to wire a S plan when they do their GID;), think of all the PCBs that'll live to see their retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

I suppose there should be no surprise at the open door attitude towards electrians to become RGIs after all, RGII is run by RECI, so creating jobs for themselves more like.

No, both RGII & RECI is run by the CER. RECI & RGII are in the same building & RECI is only now following suit of RGII introducing cert fees, etc.

For me, IMHO, I think the only way forward in relation to industry standards & industry workmanship is a 12 month Gas Engineer's apprenticeship. 6 months in full time college & 6 months on-site with monthly audits under the wing of a professional gas engineer.
    This training would also include the full parameters of the heating system. Then optional advanced courses on integration of alternative technologies, etc.

The student and/or sponsoring employer would pay for the course cost & contributions from government agencies. Even a payback scheme could be utilised.

It could also be then developed & rolled out into the oil industry on a similar basis & therefore have that industry regulated for safety & carbon emissions.

It would create a much better heating industry, reduce the general public's heating costs & our carbon emissions would greatly reduce. With greater standards comes also greater awareness & trust from the public. What also comes is more engineer's comradeship & more respect for each other.

shane 007 wrote: »
    No, both RGII & RECI is run by the CER. RECI & RGII are in the same building & RECI is only now following suit of RGII introducing cert fees, etc.

For me, IMHO, I think the only way forward in relation to industry standards & industry workmanship is a 12 month Gas Engineer's apprenticeship. 6 months in full time college & 6 months on-site with monthly audits under the wing of a professional gas engineer.
    This training would also include the full parameters of the heating system. Then optional advanced courses on integration of alternative technologies, etc.

The student and/or sponsoring employer would pay for the course cost & contributions from government agencies. Even a payback scheme could be utilised.

It could also be then developed & rolled out into the oil industry on a similar basis & therefore have that industry regulated for safety & carbon emissions.

It would create a much better heating industry, reduce the general public's heating costs & our carbon emissions would greatly reduce. With greater standards comes also greater awareness & trust from the public. What also comes is more engineer's comradeship & more respect for each other.

1 year only gives you a very basic gas qualification(but would be a very good start in respect of gas safety), to train as a City and Guilds gas service engineer is similar to training as a plumber here and takes a few years.

I wish real gas training was available to all RGIs what ever the level as this will save lives and prevent a tradesman living with the guilt of a death(s) caused by them being out of their depth.

What are APHCHI doing or what are their views I wonder on the above points?

There are a lot of clever well educated people at CER, Networks, RGiI etc......

How was it ever agreed by them that a 10 day course was enough to produce a tradesman that could work safely in all the aspects of a gas service engineer role and do this without added risk to the general public who's homes these tradesman are working in?

The ability of a RGI to work safely is dependant on his/her own personal skills and not any gained from a 10 day course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

There is a 4/5 year plumbing apprenticeship out there that is a very good apprenticeship and is recognised the world over.
    I would like going forward to see the GID being thought through this.

There is also a Master Plumber Certificate out there that yours truly endured for another 2 year's that at the time could have been involved in. I think you might have to go to England now for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

BUSTED OPEN
    it will be like the closed shop that the Taxi s had for many a year , only to be busted open and everyone could become one ! think of the business that rgii would get out of it and the local rip off training centres , its going to happen , wheather you need 6 months training or not sure they have loads on the jobbridge , the only one laughing is the top table

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

rgiis are totally unprotected , it will be like the great turkey shoot , the squeeze will be put on , the top table is dreaming up ways of expanding the business ,and opening it up to any joe , thats a fact now as we know with the recci s , who else has been asked in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

gary71 wrote: »
    When A RGI's incompetent actions ends in a death(s) they are vilified and judged by fellow RGIs, but Christ, what do you expect after a ten day training course:confused:

As a member, I'd wonder if APHCI would approach a good union and look for protection and the implementation of real world safety training for its members, if that happened then that would be a good days work by APHCI and might bring a safer working environment for all of us.

The problem is unions are not designed to represent the self smployed or company directors, they fall into the category of employers or to the hardened union members "The Enemy".

The more members that APHCI have as a trade association should mean they have more power but only if the members back any decisions made.

I think the real reason for the easy entry levels is to ensure Bord Gais and Sierra are sure to make money by having a large pool of labour they can exploit by paying the RGI's who do the work peanuts.

Honestly I truly fail to understand why possibly the only group of people in control of bringing explosives into peoples homes and preventing injury / death from carbon monoxide poisoning are so badly paid that the only way they can make a living is by ignoring the safe practices they are supposed to maintain.

Even using the revised service (gas safety check) should not be accepted as being possible in nine minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

PeteHeat wrote: »

The only way they can make a living is by ignoring the safe practices they are supposed to maintain.
    But a conscientious worker should not ignore safe practices. If something goes wrong and someone gets injured or dies, saying to the Judge "...I wasn't being paid enough" is not going to be an acceptable excuse.
    It is the responsibility of the RGI to carry out their work according to standards irrespective of what price they agree to do it for.
    If these guys are being squeezed that badly for time and money then they really need to stop and think, is the risk really worth it.

But a contentious worker should not ignore safe practices. If something goes wrong and someone gets injured or dies, saying to the Judge "...I wasn't being paid enough" is not going to be an acceptable excuse.
    It is the responsibility of the RGI to carry out their work according to standards irrespective of what price they agree to do it for.
    If these guys are being squeezed that badly for time and money then they really need to stop and think, is the risk really worth it.

Great statement but meaningless.

Due to the lack of any real training there is sadly a massive disconnect in the understanding(by some) between the work being done and inherent risk involved.

The good RGIs I know get it and would naturally be good no matter what trade they were in, but a lack of a gate keeper to the industry has allowed men who are at risk of a early demise due to natural selection(stupidity) to be card carrying RGIs putting the public and our selfs at risk.

In my experience with some:

It's common for a RGI not to know if their boiler is for NAT gas or LPG(even after firing it).

It is common for a RGI to do a 20 minute boiler service

It is common not to check the flue of a HE boiler

It is common for a RGI not to check the working/standing pressure or understand its importance.

It is common (in Dublin) for B/F boilers to be converted to forced flue boilers taking air from the room or a false ceiling.

It is common for gas regs to be ignored if there not one of the really really really important ones.

It is common for gas boilers to be fitted by installers without a analyser.

I even come across those who looked for gas using a match only to find what they were looking for.

It is common to hear the words" AH... That'll do"

Now when the above is common place I think any talk about RGI safe working practise or professionalism as a whole is a nonsense, as a trade we are a joke as nothing can be done to implement a level of safety and good working practise that keeps everybody safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Great statement but meaningless.

Due to the lack of any real training there is sadly a massive disconnect in the understanding(by some) between the work being done and inherent risk involved.

The good RGIs I know get it and would naturally be good no matter what trade they were in, but a lack of a gate keeper to the industry has allowed men who are at risk of a early demise due to natural selection(stupidity) to be card carrying RGIs putting the public and our selfs at risk.

In my experience with some:

It's common for a RGI not to know if their boiler is for NAT gas or LPG(even after firing it).

It is common for a RGI to do a 20 minute boiler service

It is common not to check the flue of a HE boiler

It is common for a RGI not to check the working/standing pressure or understand its importance.

It is common (in Dublin) for B/F boilers to be converted to forced flue boilers taking air from the room or a false ceiling.

It is common for gas regs to be ignored if there not one of the really really really important ones.

It is common for gas boilers to be fitted by installers without a analyser.

I even come across those who looked for gas using a match only to find what they were looking for.

It is common to hear the words" AH... That'll do"

Now when the above is common place I think any talk about RGI safe working practise or professionalism as a whole is a nonsense, as a trade we are a joke as nothing can be done to implement a level of safety and good working practise that keeps everybody safe.

The absence of random inspections was the downfall of standards in my opinion.

At least back then you knew that there was a good chance of been cought out. You knew the guys personal who weren't going to survive long. And it worked.

Now the odds of been cought out are next to nill, even if your reported by another RGII as there is no mandate to follow it up unless there has been a major accident or death. ( I think )

Bring back "Random" inspections.

scudo2 wrote: »

At least back then you knew that there was a good chance of been cought out. You knew the guys personal who weren't going to survive long. And it worked.

Now the odds of been cought out are next to nill, even if your reported by another RGII as there is no mandate to follow it up unless there has been a major accident or death. ( I think )

I would agree 500% with this and i have been calling for it for some time.

Another thing i have come across is some customers think you are a trouble maker. Because you have highlighted faults in the installation.

It was only last week i was at a boiler that was a couple of year's old.

The system was full of sludge, the flue was too close to a soil stack and to try and rectify the installer thought putting it sideways would make it ok. He never thought of the rain that will now enter (and all ready did) the flue through the air intake.

The PRV was letting by due to an over pressurised system that was down to an auto fill valve. Another company was in and never mentioned the flue or the dirty system and wanted to charge €250 to put a vessel in the hotpress.

So a new flue, new prv, system flush and brand new air in the vessel it's as good as new.
    A quick inspection would also have found a leak on a towel rad and an auto fill valve was someone's answer to that.

If it had of been done right in the first place they would not have had to fork out the extra 2 year's later to make it right.

scudo2 wrote: »

If the work being done is inspected and a home owner can request a inspection then you had me at hello, but inspections as they are now random or otherwise are a farce in respect of improving safety.

The grant scheme and SEAI have shamed RGI by their ability to improve good working practises by inspecting work done(albeit to get a SEAI grant) imagine if RGII inspected work done with the same vigour in the interest of public safety and adherence to regs, then we'd be sucking diesel.

If the work being done is inspected and a home owner can request a inspection then you had me at hello, but inspections as they are now random or otherwise are a farce in respect of improving safety.

The grant scheme and SEAI have shamed RGI by their ability to improve good working practicses by inspecting work done(albeit to get a SEAI grant) imagine if RGII inspected work done with the same vigour in the interest of public safety and adherence to regs, then we'd be sucking diesel.

We begin with competence, which also suggests a willingness to learn about new systems / boilers to ensure they are installed and working within both the manufacturers recommendations and Irish Law.

The manufacturers are now making their boilers with the thought in mind that the installer will not take a look at the manual let alone read it, in the UK they now have telephone support that the RGI must pay for (premium telephone numbers) because the answer to the majority of the questions asked are in the manuals or just experience based.

I think the problems begin with the pay levels, RGI's who want to work for themselves (includes Bord Gais / Sierra) have to spend a lot of money in set up costs, when seasonal factors are taken into account many discover they are lucky if they earn a little more than a site labourer.

Bord Gais Networks should request a copy of the annual Gas Safety Cert from all consumers either direct or through RGII who have the certs on a database and any customers who have not had the safety check carried out facing disconnection the consumers may start to get the message that the service is necessary.

Also a few videos from B.G.N. showing an outline of what the consumer should expect from the RGI when they are carrying out the safety check at their home or business would help the consumer understand why the service is necessary and why they should be happy to pay a realistic fee for a professional service.

scudo2
    "It is common for a RGI to do a 20 minute boiler service"

I know of the nine minute service, how could any consumer believe they received value for money when such an important job can be rushed?

We have standards to work to, it is very rare for any group providing a service to consumers to have their duties enshrined in legislation, the domestic standard is commonly referred to as I.S. 813 I believe that is an error that should have been corrected a long time ago, it should be known as S.I. Statutory Instrument I.S. is an Irish Standard, there is a world of a difference between the two.

I find it very annoying that the very people (Bord Gais) who explained how necessary the legislation is / was and had it passed in Government are the one's who are now treating many of the RGI's in charge of ensuring the standards are adhered to as fools by taking the majority of the money the consumer pays as profit for running their call centre.

What it comes down to is nobody really cares.

We didn't get here by accident.

Gas fitting safely is not rocket science but the mayhem I see is the symptom of bad choices which won't be put right as there is no interest to put it right.

I wonder how different things would be if the quite many who just get on with it had a say in the direction the industry takes because the powers that be have proven to be inadequate at times.

If you talk to the powers that be as I have at times, it's excepted that there are problems but they won't take ownership as they blame others.

So until responsibility is accepted it's all just the same old same old.

Board Gais doesn't take any of the money i make.
    I not sure what you mean by that!

I have never finished a service in under an hour either so i would really like to know how these larger companies are able to do it.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Board Gais doesn't take any of the money i make.
    I not sure what you mean by that!

I have never finished a service in under an hour either so i would really like to know how these larger companies are able to do it.

You know in the movies when the pimp grabs the money off the hoe, takes most of it:eek: then hands the rest back.

That's what happens when you work for BG;)

You know in the movies when the pimp grabs the money off the hoe takes most of it:eek: then hands the rest back.

That's what happens when you work for BG;)

I know that, but no one is twisting there arm to work for them.

You could also see it as, BG are getting them there customers and they have no advertising costs to contend with.

You could also see it as, BG are getting them there customers and they have no advertising costs to contend with.

Really?

Looking from the outside in is always going to lead to misunderstanding

Thru desperation I tried working for them, abuse is abuse whatever the reason and trust me we'd all be better off if we were respected as tradesmen, receiving €40 of €100 earned is not nice.

Originally when I started in gas 20+ years ago, every job had to be commissioned by BG or an approved service man as we were classified as installers with GI1 & 2, 1in20 jobs were then randomly inspected to insure good commissioning. = 1 inspection + chance of a second inspection on every job no matter the size.

Later when BG wanted us to commissioned our own jobs, still with the random 1/20. (which isn't there anymore) Plumber in Cork objected as we could see where this was going.

This is how the "Alliance Of Heating Contractors Cork" first started, BG wouldn't talk or recognise us till 30 of us had to blockade there Cork HQ for a full day with our vans.

Now BG only sell gas and everything else is up to RGII . BG plan from day 1

Looks like the predictions of the past have came through.

I was horrified on my first RGII annual inspection when my inspector (an x BG employee/inspector) told me how rediculas things have got, as I'm not involved with gas for years but still wanted to keep my qualifications valid.

He said that there will NEVER be an inspection unless there's a complaint, explosion or death.
    He was fairly peed off himself I might add, as he was one of the strictest and fairest when he worked for BG.
    A good guy.

• Advertisement

Really?

Looking from the outside in is always going to lead to misunderstanding

Thru desperation I tried working for them, abuse is abuse whatever the reason and trust me we'd all be better off if we were respected as tradesmen, receiving €40 of €100 earned is not nice.

I remember telling you at the time that i thought you where mad and you would not like it due to standards.

The person in charge at the time also had a factor in it ;-).

I know gas is in your heart my friend :-)

I know gas is in your heart my friend :-)

Nope, that would be the beans;)

Right as I'm messing up the APHCI thread with the mother of all off topic comments:o I'm taking my gassy grumpiness back over to the RGI section for any more of my industry bitching.

I fear for the APHCI as an organisation.

They have been talking about picketing for the last year but nothing has materialized yet.

I thought they where a breath of fresh air when they set up, just what the industry needs.
    Now i am afraid that they might become an organisation who's bark is worse than it's bite.

I hope I'm wrong.

The problem with the industry is that a lot of people are only in it for them selves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

I would love if this organisation would get organised to sort this out once and for all
    Give us all a fighting chance :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Someone told me recently that their membership was dropping, hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Dublin membership is higher than Cork
    but the talk on the ground is that it's not moving fast enough

DGOBS wrote: »
    Someone told me recently that their membership was dropping, hopefully not.

I hadn't been a member for years, due to not doing P&H
    I rejoined last year as there is strength in numbers.+ I have my own personal reasons to see change.
    Shane recommend that I join an organisation if I want see change. It was the nudge that I needed. Ta.

Disappointed to see such low numbers in Cork. 32 at the last meeting even though there was a free bar and meal thanks to Bosch.
    Most guys I spoke to didn't know about boards.ie
    + they were more vocal and radical back when it first started.
    but then I must admit that I don't know what's going on in the backround. If its representing us then I believe we should join, give our support, voice our views and hope for the best. Its all we've got.
    So please add your name.
    MD

The economy is twisting their arms, many have families and mortgages to look after, it is also the reason so many are willing to live in hope that the last man checked everything so they can get to the next job.

I agree the work is sent to them which does mean a lot, however it drops off abound this time of the year and picks up in late September, six months without any proper income is a high price to pay for a little security in winter months.

If B.G. were serious about safety for both their customers and staff they would introduce a flat basic pay (living wage) and maybe a bonus scheme for the winter months.

It might also level the playing field for the conscientious free lance operators.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Sierra no long contract BG work

Advertisement