Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photo Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Karsini wrote: »
    It seems to me that they were intentionally left to rot in their later years.

hit the nail on the head. glad i'm not the only one who believes that.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It seems to me that they were intentionally left to rot in their later years.

On the contrary, a lot of Mark 2's suffered badly from varying levels of rust damage at the carriage ends. The worst affected models required a lot of engineering to address and partially accelerated their demise from service in the UK as well as here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

^^^^How come the RPSI are able to maintain MkIIs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

^^^^How come the RPSI are able to maintain MkIIs then?

When the RPSI acquired the mk 2s they had to deal with the rust. There is some information about what was done on the 547 Dinning car page.
    http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/carriages/547.html
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]By December 2005 the steel body of the coach had been painstakingly cleaned back to bare metal in rusty areas, cleaned, repaired and painted. Next to go in was the fibreglass insulation, and later the new wooden panelling was to go on top of that. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT]
    also remember the cost of doing this work would be much less than for BR/IE due to wages.

When the RPSI acquired the mk 2s they had to deal with the rust. There is some information about what was done on the 547 Dinning car page.
    http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/carriages/547.html
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT]
    also remember the cost of doing this work would be much less than for BR/IE due to wages.

You beat me to it :)

Something else to bear in mind; the RPSI had their pick of what was available so they could pick out some of the less corroded carriages. This was also the case with the Cravens when some of them in poorer condition were not taken on.

• Advertisement

so will the RPSI be getting their pick of mark 3s or have they any plans to preserve some? or are they all to bastardised at this stage?

So preservationists with rudimentary equipment are able to turn end of the road MkIIs into serviceable carriages but CIE/IE are not - speaks volumes! :rolleyes:

So preservationists with rudimentary equipment are able to turn end of the road MkIIs into serviceable carriages but CIE/IE are not - speaks volumes!

not able to, not willing to, don't want to, when they can get lots of shiny new ones to run into the ground so they can plead poverty to the government. sad but true in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

so will the RPSI be getting their pick of mark 3s or have they any plans to preserve some? or are they all to bastardised at this stage?

Very much doubt it. I would imagine it would be a horrendously expensive task to get the electrics and air con going again.

Edit: forgot braking system mentioned under, knew there was something else, not a snowballs chance in hell then.

So preservationists with rudimentary equipment are able to turn end of the road MkIIs into serviceable carriages but CIE/IE are not - speaks volumes!

You are years out of touch, Parky. It's moved on from the heady days of using wood glue, tarpaulin roof and a planing chisel :D

• Advertisement

Very much doubt it. I would imagine it would be a horrendously expensive task to get the electrics and air con going again.

could they not be converted to work off the same system as the mark 2s?

could they not be converted to work off the same system as the mark 2s?

Not without loads of time, expense and work.

RPSI's steam engines and Mark 2's use the vacuum brake system whereas the Mark 3's use an air brake so the Mark 3's would need conversion to vacuum or for the other RPSI fleet to have an air brake fitted, something that is almost 100% unlikely to be done. There would also be the refitting of the the interior, rewiring the electrics, overhauling the air and repainting them, ensuring compatibility with the door locking used on the Mark 2 and other jobs that I am sure others will add to the list.

Then there is getting bodies to do this work, cough up the money, finding track and siding and sheds to store and do all this work, etc etc and on stock that the RPSI don't have a need to run.

Maybe "Save the Rail" or one the New Ross crowds will buy a set of MkIIIs? Failing that Mr.Trebus is bound to want one or two to add to his collection of ice cream vans, artillery pieces, planes and clapped out steam engines. :D

stock that the RPSI don't have a need to run.

as in they have enough stock to cover them or they aren't interested in running such stock?

as in they have enough stock to cover them or they aren't interested in running such stock?

More so the the former but a bit of the latter (They are new stock to the punter on the street) and the practical the issue of braking power.

They are new stock to the punter on the street
    suppose. give it a few years though and they will have been forgotten and could be classed as (old) stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/7726741750/in/photostream/

146 looking as good as new at downpatrick. You wouldnt know anything happended.

I assume they are going to finish off the end with a white stripe?I myself only ever remember any of the fleet with the white stripe and from any of the pictures/videos i've seen from the past before the white stripe,i think it was a great addition.Are DCDR going to keep the loco in its current livery or will it be brought back to the supertrain or black livery?

Rud wrote: »
    I assume they are going to finish off the end with a white stripe?I myself only ever remember any of the fleet with the white stripe and from any of the pictures/videos i've seen from the past before the white stripe,i think it was a great addition.Are DCDR going to keep the loco in its current livery or will it be brought back to the supertrain or black livery?

Nobody knows for sure, the DCDR say that as it's the ITG's property it's up to them. I'd be disappointed if it goes back to original livery as 141 and 142 are already in that livery.

168 was going around for years with the IR point logo but without the stripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

I'd be disappointed if it goes back to original livery as 141 and 142 are already in that livery.

Couldn't agree more.141 and 142 look great in the black especially on the tour that RPSI ran a while back using both locos but i think 146 is fine in the livery she is already in.Again fair play to DCDR for getting her back going again but they still need the white stripe at the front!:D

Came across this on eBay (West Cork - I think) and thought that foggy_lad would like, especially the signal festooned by enthusiasts! :D

for%2Bfoggy%2Blad.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Chrisplayfair

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2017704409&k=TzfX9vW

A few photos uploaded featuring York Road Depot in Belfast. This time instead of going to the usual Milewater Footbridge, we go a little closer to the depot and higher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Came across this on eBay (West Cork - I think) and thought that foggy_lad would like, especially the signal festooned by enthusiasts! :D

for%2Bfoggy%2Blad.PNG
    I have seen signals being climbed many times on railtours and various other trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

for%2Bfoggy%2Blad.PNG
    Yes it's Bandon tank loco No.464 at Clonakilty on the last IRRS special to West Cork in 1961. I wonder how many of the travelling photographers bothered taking photos of the mundane C-Class hauled branch train in the background.:D

A few of the action yesterday on the RPSI train to Drogheda and a local shuttle from Drogheda to Skerries.

First off, we see 461 at Skerries. To allow the engine to turn around to the other end, the train had to propel from the up platform back into the loop; from here the engine changed ends and propelled the train back into Skerries before heading back to Drogheda. For the unlucky passengers, this meant disembarking just as the rains began to fall but it gave them a chance to watch some unique shunting movements.

DSCF0961.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

461 calls back to Drogheda, which was late after a braking issue held her up for 20 minutes outside the station.

DSCF0999.jpg

On the way back to Dublin, Laytown took on a lot of 461's excess steam as she raced home.

DSCF1031.jpg

And finally, some drama on the railways ;)

DSCF0982.jpg

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2024094456&k=Bfkvhwf

A few photos from last night's possession at Adelaide featuring engineering work taking place at the Traincare Facility. Also a few photos from Lisburn, Moira & Dunmurry

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2024094456&k=Bfkvhwf

A few photos from last night's possession at Adelaide featuring engineering work taking place at the Traincare Facility. Also a few photos from Lisburn, Moira & Dunmurry

in this photo
    http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2024097352&k=FnFc6HX&lb=1&s=A

is that just a trick of the photo in some way or does the track actualy bend as sharp as that?

in this photo
    http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2024097352&k=FnFc6HX&lb=1&s=A

is that just a trick of the photo in some way or does the track actualy bend as sharp as that?

It's actually reality! I didn't realise that the bend was so bad like that however, that is being renewed this week during overnight possessions in advance to Adelaide Traincare becoming fully operational for passenger rolling stock movements.

Tonight DR73926 Tamper was out on the Down line between Finaghy & Balmoral carrying out some essential maintenance. See photos here -

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2026257917&k=j4sDB56

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chris, does the depot have a second entrance, in case a train fouls the points as happened at Portlaoise?

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2012-Photos/August-2012/24556647_sBDRWS#!i=2017707694&k=tcMHPgG

Yes Victor, the depot has an entrance from the North end which can be seen in the bottom of this picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor wrote: »
    Chris, does the depot have a second entrance, in case a train fouls the points as happened at Portlaoise?
    Does Drogheda have a 2nd exit? Thinking of the incident a couple of weeks ago. (sorry to be wandering off topic here)

Advertisement