Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Detterent

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

megafan wrote: »
    Portable electric fence would work a treat about 100ish euro in farm supplies store.... & just run wire about 9" high over lawn & even if it's only used once a week cats will steer well clear of area!

This could cause serious injury & burns to a cat. Typical fence units are designed to work with think skinned hide animals like sheep & cattle. You also run the risk of electrocuting birds & any other wildlife in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Cats love soft sand for their toilet area, a bag or two of sand in a safe

area away from the kids would be a good alternative for the cats.

Ask the neighbours to do like wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

OP a live trap and deposit the strays at the vets, if they are owned the owners should keep them on their property.

Cats may be great hunters but that doesn't mean it is always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

OP a live trap and deposit the strays at the vets, if they are owned the owners should keep them on their property.

Cats may be great hunters but that doesn't mean it is always a good

thing.

Cats would not be so good at hunting if people did not build low walls

/fences around their houses, as traps for birds !....Why do people do

stupid things like that?.

Unlike dogs and children, cats have free reign , as I understand matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The reality of the situation is that domestic cats have roamed in Ireland for at least 2000 years. They are pretty much part of the ecosystem at this stage.

You are not going to be able to keep cats out of your garden, any more than you can keep birds out of your garden.

There is a also a natural population of feral cats in Ireland which, again, you cannot really avoid encountering. They are simply part of the landscape.

Pet cats in this climate normally have free reign. They generally do not cause significant problems and have coexisted with gardeners, farmers and the local wildlife for millenia.

The best ways of dealing with cats is either a deterrent, or by providing them with a safe area to bury their feces e.g. a sand pit that's closed to children e.g. with a fence that cats can get over, but kids can't (as was suggested above).

I think the threat to birds by domestic cats is a bit overstated by some. They tend to hunt ground-dwelling rodents more than they go after birds as, contrary to popular belief, cats aren't THAT good at getting high into trees. They do catch some birds, but they're far more attracted to mice and large insects than anything else.

A well fed, wormed, domestic cat shouldn't really be any issue in your garden either. A cat in those conditions does not carry toxicaria cati worms and is of no threat really.

Rodents, which you can't really see or control, and birds also carry pretty nasty worms which can (in some rare circumstances) infect humans too. In fact, rodents are more likely to carry diseases that humans can pick up than cats are as we do not share the same diseases with cats, but we do with rats and mice.

So, short of eliminating all wildlife from your garden, there's relatively little you can do other than wash your hands after handling soil and/or wear gardening gloves.

If you've a seriously huge population of feral cats, you might need to look at trapping and neutering or, frightening them off e.g. with your own cat or dog, or by making the environment unpleasant for them by using citrus scents etc etc.

Otherwise, to be honest, you might as well be trying to fight with the wind. There are cats everywhere in the environment here, they're very much part of it.

• Advertisement

Dogs have also been part of the enviroment for a long time, they are no longer tolerated roaming by themselves. Attitudes change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Dogs have also been part of the enviroment for a long time, they are no longer tolerated roaming by themselves. Attitudes change.

There's a bit of a difference, as roaming dogs have never been tolerated as they are very territorial and can be a vicious and violent threat towards humans and livestock i.e. they bite, attack and jump on people, chase cars, can kill sheep, poultry etc etc.

Cats usually just avoid interaction, or at worst, purr and rub up against you or bury poo in your garden.

The two situations aren't really comparable.

I've yet to hear of anyone who was viciously cornered and bitten by a crazed domestic cat, or a kid that's afraid to go out due to roaming cats threatening him/her, yet it happens all too often with dogs.

As for attitudes changing, they haven't. The majority of Irish cats live indoors and outdoors as they please.
    The main reason cats are kept indoors in some parts of North America is because of predators that tend to eat them e.g. cougars etc.

And then what ? Are you expected the Vet to act as a charity ? There is no legal requirement to control a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Saw a vid on youtube the other day and they suggested spraying deep heat on to used tea bags and leaving them under shallow soil.

Seems the strong smell drives the cats away, I haven't tried this yet so can't say if it's effective or not.

+1 ,,,, also chilli peppers ( the small green 'nuclear' SE Asian ChilliPadi type), garlic, peppercorns, Tabasco on old tea bags plus the Citronella cited by another poster.
    Any or combinations of these should be suitable deterrent.
    No need to get the howitzers out ......

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i have an 8 foot height Garden fences at both sides of my garden, and each year my vegetable gardens are destroyed by dozens of stray cats doing there business and tearing the soil up.

I saw a device in a magazine that has metal prongs that can be attached to top of fence to deter cats, but there pricey, so decided to make my own, but by using nails (point end facing up). There is no access to the neighbouring garden by persons as a wall separates our gardens.

My Question is, is this legal to put in place?

I got these plastic spike sections form a Company called Flock off sorry about the name but thats what it's called we use them to deter Birds landing on panels and window ledges you can put them on your wall and totally safe if someone were to climb upon the wall then they just break off so no danger of any damage to a child or person might work for you I will get the address in work tomorrow and post it here as maybe others would try it.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    And then what ? Are you expected the Vet to act as a charity ? There is no legal requirement to control a cat.

The vet can scan for a chip, hand it to a rescue or rehome themselves or put it down. The majority of stray animals are not healthy and pts by the vet is preferable to being splattered on the road.

It is to the cats detriment that there is no legal requirement to control a cat, cats lot in general would be greatly improved if owners had to account for their animals rather than neglect them or inflict them on those who may not be overly fond of them.

Solair wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference, as roaming dogs have never been tolerated as they are very territorial and can be a vicious and violent threat towards humans and livestock i.e. they bite, attack and jump on people, chase cars, can kill sheep, poultry etc etc.

Cats usually just avoid interaction, or at worst, purr and rub up against you or bury poo in your garden.

The two situations aren't really comparable.

I've yet to hear of anyone who was viciously cornered and bitten by a crazed domestic cat, or a kid that's afraid to go out due to roaming cats threatening him/her, yet it happens all too often with dogs.

As for attitudes changing, they haven't. The majority of Irish cats live indoors and outdoors as they please.
    The main reason cats are kept indoors in some parts of North America is because of predators that tend to eat them e.g. cougars etc.

There are places in America where you got to keep them on your property by law. I am a cat owner but I do not believe I have a right to impose my cat (who is a dote) on the world at large.

Not all cats bury their poo and they can cause damage to cars by using their claws as traction, they can spray outside peoples homes/vehicles, they can dig and damage peoples plants, they can fight and yowl at night, they can poop in sand pits (peopele should have lids for these).

As for farmers, it depends on what you farm. Cats can kill poultry or fish. Some cats (who are asshats in character) will scratch you rather than run away.

Roaming cats are no more benign than roaming dogs and are no safer than dogs when out.

The vet can scan for a chip, hand it to a rescue or rehome themselves or put it down.

A Vet can't put down or rehome a cat just because it doesn't have a microchip. Only a tiny minority of Cats are chipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Roaming cats are no more benign than roaming dogs and are no safer than dogs when out.

Never heard of anyone being seriously injured or mauled to death by an out of control roaming cat.

Mo60 wrote: »
    Never heard of anyone being seriously injured or mauled to death by an out of control roaming cat.

Exactly. Neither have you heard of a cat worrying livestock, chasing the postman, causing damage in road traffic accidents, causing a noise nuisance etc etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

The vet can scan for a chip, hand it to a rescue or rehome themselves or put it down.

You expect the vet to do that for nothing:confused: The person bringing in the cat(s) will have to pay for those services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

kynzvart wrote: »
    I was for ever coming out every morning to find my garden covered in cat poo,until I spoke to a friend who told me to go on the internet and buy some dried lion dung. Bought some and have to say the cats certainly do not like it.
    you put cat dung in your garden to deter cats from leaving cat dung in your garden...im liking it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Zelkova wrote: »
    Get a terrier or a shotgun.
    I've no love for cats,unless you've got a granary and you want to keep rodents at bay there's no point in tolerating them
    cats are filthy disease bearing invaseive foreign species that kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year...how owners justify or are allowed away with these animals defecating all over peoples private property with immunity is beyond me..their animal loving owners are subject to the same laws as the rest of us re. cleaning up their mess yes/no...or are cat owners in some special group thats immune to responsibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Maudi wrote: »
    cats are filthy disease bearing invaseive foreign species that kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year...how owners justify or are allowed away with these animals defecating all over peoples private property with immunity is beyond me..their animal loving owners are subject to the same laws as the rest of us re. cleaning up their mess yes/no...or are cat owners in some special group thats immune to responsibility?

Don't waste your time, it's like trying to defend Christianity to the Taliban.
    The logic is, cats roam and kill birds and **** in your garden because it's in their nature so we should tolerate them for it, dogs roam and hunt and kill cloven hooved animals because it's in their nature, so we should shoot them for it. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

bmaxi wrote: »
    Don't waste your time, it's like trying to defend Christianity to the Taliban.
    The logic is, cats roam and kill birds and **** in your garden because it's in their nature so we should tolerate them for it, dogs roam and hunt and kill cloven hooved animals because it's in their nature, so we should shoot them for it. Simple.

:confused:

Your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BROADWAYACES

So, I have decided that the arguing is nonsense and will get right back to the problem. I am going to place nails in my raised garden facing up to see if this is a cheap and easy fix for soft pawed cats. Sharp point on soft paw = no $#!T

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So, I have decided that the arguing is nonsense and will get right back to the problem. I am going to place nails in my raised garden facing up to see if this is a cheap and easy fix for soft pawed cats. Sharp point on soft paw = no $#!T

What happens if and when a child or another person gets spiked/impaled on a nail and you are being sued and being charged for it??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I had a small 40 foot by 16 foot garden in london and was plagued by cat mess, they destroyed the place and I tried many unsuccessful methods to get rid of them. I did not have nor want a cat of my own. The bird table was out in the open up high so no problems there.

In the end I achieved a compromise: I adopted the neighbours cat (somewhat). It was an older cat named Cleo. So I made friends with Cleo and she then considered the garden hers and saw off other cats. Most of the mess went with that move.

I had a small area of playsand that was really messed up with scat so after cleaning up I put a grill down over the bit for the kids to play in and left a bit free for Cleo to use as a cat litter and she soon went there only and it was very easy to clean up. I also put up a scratching pole to keep her attention and even bought her a treat now and then for her work.

worked for me!!! :D

You can achieve the same effect by placing thorn branches on the soil without injuring the cat.

May I suggest a much more humane and eco friendly solution.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

paddy147 wrote: »
    May I suggest a much more humane and eco friendly solution.:)

Paddy, where did you snap that? My local garden centres never have it in stock!

curiousb wrote: »
    Paddy, where did you snap that? My local garden centres never have it in stock!

Jones Garden Centre on the road down to Donabate,this morning.:)

http://jonesgc.com/

4 euro per plant.Plenty of them in stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

paddy147 wrote: »
    You do know thats actually illegal and if anyone or anything was fouled up on it or injured,then you can be sued.

Hope you are aware of that.
    Perfectly legal actually once its on your property and you've clearly indicated that its being used. Woodies sell it in 5 litre drums. It's called anti-burglar paint. Its based on a vaseline-like substance that stays gloopy and won't dry. Got some to deter kids a couple of years ago. Not scumbags of course, wouldn't be nice to say that. Little darlings obviously.

No effect on cats. They go around. Cats are smarter than little darlings...

endacl wrote: »
    Perfectly legal actually once its on your property and you've clearly indicated that its being used. Woodies sell it in 5 litre drums. It's called anti-burglar paint. Its based on a vaseline-like substance that stays gloopy and won't dry. Got some to deter kids a couple of years ago. Not scumbags of course, wouldn't be nice to say that. Little darlings obviously.

No effect on cats. They go around. Cats are smarter than little darlings...

Yes,you must place signs stating that,in clear view of people and on the walls where it can be read without any obstrustion.

Would the average householder place signs on their walls and propperty,warning people of "anti burglar" paint though????

So if you just apply that paint,with no clearly visable signage,then its "sue city" and open day for anyone who falls and injures themselves on your property.From the most evil burglar in the world,to the little kid who is just playing hide and seek.

Thats the world we live in today for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement