Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 AFL season discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Lids has an ankle I think, week to week at this stage. I hope Cloke can sort himself out for tonight but a wet ball won't make it easy for him. Our much vaunted midfield needs to start chipping in with a couple of goals each to lighten the load on Cloke and Elliott. White hasn't really produced much so far either.

Was Freo Essendon the really low scoring game last year where the Bombers came from miles back to win it? It will be interesting to see if Freo can take advantage of Sandilands being dominant in the ruck against Carlisle and Daniher without Fyfe and Barlow there to win the clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Cloke has been killing my dreamteam all season and i finally had the chance to get rid of him this week, is he worth keeping for this game?

Yep, Freo gave up a 30 point lead at half time to lose by 4 points or something.
    I'll be happy if they just don't put up another performance like last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Looks like Richmond fans have a long year ahead of them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Looks like Richmond fans have a long year ahead of them!

after making the finals last year I thought they'd have kicked on with a very promising midfield. they are going backwards at the speed of light!

bruschi wrote: »
    after making the finals last year I thought they'd have kicked on with a very promising midfield. they are going backwards at the speed of light!

Their ball handling skills were terrible, I know it was wet but they couldn't get the basics right. Different team to what we saw last year alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Nice to see Freo bounce back. WCE have sum work to do also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Mackman wrote: »
    Their ball handling skills were terrible, I know it was wet but they couldn't get the basics right. Different team to what we saw last year alright.

It is incredible how cr@p we look at moment.

There can be no excuse for not beating a severely depleted Brisbane side on Thursday.

We need to get Maric, Deledio and Rance back for Hawthorn and put in a performance in that game if we are to have any hope of turning this around.

If Tiges don't beat Brisbane tonight I am shredding my membership card!

jackbhoy wrote: »

Lol come on the Lions! :D

jackbhoy wrote: »

It's a pity Hanley, Rich, Merrett and Leunberger are out, it would've been tight with Brisbane at near full strength. But in spite of big Browny's 250th there's no way the Tigers lose this IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Was at the Oval today to see Crows beat GWS fairly easily. However, I am convinced these young guys, along with their senior players playing regularly, will be a real force in the competition the year after next.
    Big forwards, nippy midfielders and growing defenders. It is only a matter of time, methinks???

Yet another Hawks Cats epic happening right now, I could watch these two every day of the week for the whole season!

SSK wrote: »
    Yet another Hawks Cats epic happening right now, I could watch these two every day of the week for the whole season!

watched it there yesterday too. great result for Geelong. they just wont go back to mid table obscurity. whenever it looks like they are coming to the end of their time at the top end of the table, they always manage to hang on in and be perennial contenders. Hawkins has been immense for them this year. Always liked him as a player, very unassuming and goes about his job. But he is being a huge presence for them this year, and is making some key marks and kicking really important goals, especaialy at crunch times.

watched it there yesterday too. great result for Geelong. they just wont go back to mid table obscurity. whenever it looks like they are coming to the end of their time at the top end of the table, they always manage to hang on in and be perennial contenders. Hawkins has been immense for them this year. Always liked him as a player, very unassuming and goes about his job. But he is being a huge presence for them this year, and is making some key marks and kicking really important goals, especaialy at crunch times.

I thought this was the year they would struggle at last. How wrong can you get. They seem to have a conveyor belt of lads who learn the 'Geelong' way and just keep playing hard tough simple footy. Fair play to them. Really interested in how Port do against them next week. That could be another cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Trying to fill up a fantasy Dream Team league

Please join if you have a team

LEAGUE SPECKY SHIELD VI
    YOUR LEAGUE INVITATION CODE: P9633YR4

Lol come on the Lions! :D

The membership is safe for another week. Going to the game on Sunday with a bunch of Hawthorn fans, could be a painful afternoon!

Looks like we still without Deledio, Maric and probably Rance. Reckon we need at least Deledio and Rance to stand a chance against Hawks, Roughhead & Gunston could have a field day against our back line.....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

Big loss for the Dockers at home tonight. Fair play to NM came back after the Dockers started well. They have 3 huge games coming up before the bye week now.

Great day and a great win yesterday for the Pies. A very weird game with Essendon completely dominant in the first but completely rubbish after that. Great to have Swanny back to his best, the crowd went mental when he kicked that goal on the run!

I didn't see any of the Freo game but their inconsistency has to be a worry. North were terrible last week when I saw them so I'm surprised at that result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Early statement laid down by the Power. Had to get up early to watch this in a stream as not being shown by EPSN. Surely that game should of been televised.

Power were sensational. The Oval looks great also. Much better than AAMI.

Hopefully they can play like this come September!! The speed of Matty White was brilliant to watch today

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Early statement laid down by the Power. Had to get up early to watch this in a stream as not being shown by EPSN. Surely that game should of been televised.

Power were sensational. The Oval looks great also. Much better than AAMI.

Hopefully they can play like this come September!! The speed of Matty White was brilliant to watch today

There's a huge amount of momentum flowing with Port this year. Being back in the Adelaide Oval is a huge thing for them, along with having their own reserves side for the first time in the SANFL and the team is playing some superb football to back it up. I figured a year of consolidation was their go this year but they're genuine premiership threats now.

They have possibly the best midfield in the comp right now with Boak, Ebert, Wines, Cornes and Hartlett along with goal scoring mid/forwards White, Wingard and Gray and some very solid talls in Lobbe, Schulz, Trengrove and Carlile. A very enjoyable team to watch.

• Advertisement

yeah Port are definitely the form team right now, and to be honest, I wasnt expecting it. I thought they were lucky with a few games last year, and that they would be caught this year. but fair play, they have really built on last year and made themselves even better again. I've only seen one full game of them yet this year, their demolition of the Crows, and the speed and pace they work at is great. young players really standing up to the mark.

Yeah hopefully ESPN show some of their games.Magpies has been on every week so far I think and will be again this week against Carlton.

Does anybody know if its possible to get a pass to watch the games online where you can log in at anytime and watch games in full.

Its not easy getting up at 7am to watch streams!!

Yeah hopefully ESPN show some of their games.Magpies has been on every week so far I think and will be again this week against Carlton.

Does anybody know if its possible to get a pass to watch the games online where you can log in at anytime and watch games in full.

Its not easy getting up at 7am to watch streams!!

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

€100 for the season.

Port are looking great, great game style to watch too.

Freo are in a spot of bother. Forward line is a shambles, bomb it long to a 3 on 1 with Pavlich seems to be plan A, B and C. Discipline issues all over the place too, Sylvia and Morabito getting suspended in the WAFL. Johnson just getting off with a good record this week.

Gotta sort something out cause if we keep dishing up the crap we did against North Melbourne, we will scrape into the top 8. The next 3 weeks are very tough, a derby which are always 50/50, a red hot Port Adelaide in Adelaide and Geelong. Could easily end up 3-6 going into the bye. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Yeah Dockers aren't living up to expectations at all. The younger players coming through aren't taking any of the load at the moment. Mundy, Fyfe, 211, Johnson (bar the Roos game) and Pavlich have been keeping us competitive but there's not much Pav can do when balls are being pinged at him with three defenders on his back.

Mayne has been an embarrassment. His standout attribute has always been his goal kicking and how many has he kicked this season??? If he can't perform the main task that he's in the team to do why is he there at all.

Every player that has come up against Crowley this season has had over 20 possessions. Last year only 6 players managed to get 20 on him. Spurr, Suban and Sutcliffe are making up the numbers and would be under pressure if all our reserve players weren't too busy getting suspended and ensuring that they stay at the bottom of the WAFL with Peel Thunder. Not the start to the season everybody anticipated.

Big game for both of the WA clubs this weekend but for all the wrong reasons.

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

€100 for the season.

Yeah decided against it. Too many sport subscriptions at the minute to justify another €18 per month.

Got myself outta bed around 5ish on Sat to watch a stream of GWS v Port. Very small crowd turned up in Canberra. Must be the lowest of the season. Why are GWS playing games there?

Anyways weather was rubbish but a pretty high scoring game. Usually Port finish well as I reckon one of the fittest teams in the league but GWS gave them a little scare at the end and beat them in Q4. Polec the standout player for Port

Just watching the Eagles/Dockers game now that I recorded this morning.

Thank God, ESPN are going to show the Port game next week against the Dockers. I'll be able to record it and have a few beers in the evening watching it

Yeah decided against it. Too many sport subscriptions at the minute to justify another €18 per month.

Got myself outta bed around 5ish on Sat to watch a stream of GWS v Port. Very small crowd turned up in Canberra. Must be the lowest of the season. Why are GWS playing games there?

Anyways weather was rubbish but a pretty high scoring game. Usually Port finish well as I reckon one of the fittest teams in the league but GWS gave them a little scare at the end and beat them in Q4. Polec the standout player for Port

Just watching the Eagles/Dockers game now that I recorded this morning.

Thank God, ESPN are going to show the Port game next week against the Dockers. I'll be able to record it and have a few beers in the evening watching it

Seemingly, a lot of the team had a virus going into the match. That was the reason why Hartlett and Carlisle were pulled out and may have been the reason behind the fourth quarter result.

I had the misfortune of being at the Oval on Saturday to watch the Crows being beaten up by the mighty Demons. All I can say is I hope the experience is never repeated. Worse than woeful. However, I am joining the Port bandwagon and going along to the game next Saturday so looking forward to that.

They are starting to make the Oval a "Portress".

seipeal1 wrote: »
    "Portress".

:rolleyes: *groan*

Should be cracker game on Saturday, pity i wont be able to watch it live. I'll be checking the updates from a birthday lunch that some fool organised at the same time.

The only thing giving me confidence for Freo is the belting we gave port in Rd 23 last year. But that was a long time ago and in Subiaco. If we can pull together 4 strong quarters we should win, but we haven't been able to do that all season. If the weagles kicked straight in the second quarter on Sunday it would have been a different game.

What is happening the crows? They're throwing my tipping all over the place. Melbourne were quite good it must be said, Dawes is massive for them in the forward line. Gives them a huge target and gives them lots of structure.

Bull**** decision buy the MRP for Jack Viney. AFL trying to protect it's own ass while changing fundamental and unique aspects of the game

• Advertisement

Bull**** decision buy the MRP for Jack Viney. AFL trying to protect it's own ass while changing fundamental and unique aspects of the game

Yeah, love one of the panel telling him he could have pivoted onto his left foot to avoid contact. Even ignoring the arrogance associated with some asshole in a suit sitting in an office is telling you how you should have reacted in a split second decision on footy field, if Viney pulled out of that he would have been ridiculed for being soft.

They need to sort out the umpiring and MRP asap, it's beyond a joke now. Some of the decisions at the Richmond v Geelong game at weekend were incredible. I would be slightly biased of course, but was at the game with a Hawks and a Crows supporter and they were getting more annoyed than me. Some players get clotheslined and no action but Joel 'Ducky' Selwood drops his head into every tackle and wins free kicks with zero forceable contact or risk of injury. Meanwhyile Rance clears ball brillantly, makes slight contact on follow through and is pinged straight away. It's the inconsistency that makes it so maddening.

Advertisement