Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ads on touch site

• 08-04-2014 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

How do I get rid of the ads on the touch site? It's the only skin that works reliably with my phone.

Do I need to subscribe? I've paid my sub before, I'd be happy to pay again if it means removing the ads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I used to use AdBlock to get rid of the add but I use Boards so much that I just leave them on. Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I used to use AdBlock to get rid of the add but I use Boards so much that I just leave them on. Just ignore them.

Adblock isn't an option on mobile though.

I think there are ways to block ads on Android which is unfortunately what I'll have to do now since the mobile site is getting shut down.

I'll post up here with the solution once I figure it out.

quarryman wrote: »
    Adblock isn't an option on mobile though.

I think there are ways to block ads on Android which is unfortunately what I'll have to do now since the mobile site is getting shut down.

I'll post up here with the solution once I figure it out.

AdBlock is definitely available on mobile.

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

I used this for YouTube and it works grand.

AdBlock is definitely available on mobile.

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

I used this for YouTube and it works grand.

Yes I used this before. I'm just not mad about the permanent proxy settings but it's not a bad alternative in fairness.

It's a pity to have to resort to this. I'd happily pay a yearly subscription to avoid ads but it seems to user is not given a chance choice.

I don't even get the big deal about the touch site, it doesn't look much more usable rain than the mobile site. If anything it's less functional. There are far less threads per page for a start. What is the reasoning with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yes I used this before. I'm just not mad about the permanent proxy settings but it's not a bad alternative in fairness.

It's a pity to have to resort to this. I'd happily pay a yearly subscription to avoid ads but it seems to user is not given a chance choice.

I don't even get the big deal about the touch site, it doesn't look much more usable rain than the mobile site. If anything it's less functional. There are far less threads per page for a start. What is the reasoning with that?

If you sub and turn off ads on full site, they stay turned off on touch site. I think.

• Advertisement

I think if you subscribe you can disable ads but I'm not really sure.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

How do I get rid of the ads on the touch site? It's the only skin that works reliably with my phone.

Do I need to subscribe? I've paid my sub before, I'd be happy to pay again if it means removing the ads.
    I have been reliably informed that if you subscribe and switch off ads, it will also turn off ads on the touch site.

I have been reliably informed that if you subscribe and switch off ads, it will also turn off ads on the touch site.

Thanks Niamh. €50 is a bit steep for that though.

I'm using Adblock for now which blocks all ads on the site for free.

It's a pity, if they were the older less intrusive ads I'd be happy to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just in the last hour the ads have got real bad. Two large banner ads per page, what gives?

See attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Was just about to post the same thing. Fair enough having to have ads but ones that are taking over half the screen on a mobile site and having two per thread is a bit of a joke.

Makes the site really unusable

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Having the same issue here. Pretty head wrecking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We're looking at the ads now to see what's happening with them, might be a day or so before I have an update for you.

Dav wrote: »
    We're looking at the ads now to see what's happening with them, might be a day or so before I have an update for you.

Any update

Dav wrote: »
    Any news on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bump.

The ad problem is still with us. Any idea if it will be sorted soon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Some of these ads are now animated.

This one attached for example

Back to the top the last while the adds have gotten big again. Between various other issues finding I use the site less and less. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Completely destroy the performance of the site with horrible animations and JavaScript. Makes it unusable, prevents scrolling whenever an ad is on the page until the CPU gets some rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The touch site has become completely unusable on my phone over the past month, there's about a 2 second delay every time I try to scroll and even when scrolling it keeps stuttering. I have a Nexus 5 so shouldn't be a hardware limitation I and don't experience problems on any other site so it's definitely a problem with the animated ads on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Plus500 ad still showing for me a number of times over the last few weeks, still slows the touch site down considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Can you get rid of these plus 500 ads please. Playing havoc with my phone

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I haven't seen this one myself in several weeks - if you see it again, can you please grab the click through URL and post it in here? We can't block it without that I'm afraid. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement