Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found Money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've never seen such a pre-emptively defensive original post! Smacks of a guilty conscience...

If you do keep it OP, beware that it will do you no good.
    I don't mean that karma will get you back. I don't believe in karma.

No. You'll buy lots of crisps and sweets. Maybe even a few Easter Eggs, and eat them before Easter. Why not? You can afford it now.

But you won't really enjoy them. Not as much as you'd like. There'll always be a bitter aftertaste, and that's the result of your guilty conscience.

At first, you'll shrug off the mild feelings of guilt, laugh them away!

But they'll come back, stronger every time.
    You'll find yourself lying awake at night. Every creak of a floorboard will be the sound of a poor unfortunate, shuffling to your bedroom door to claim back the money you took from them.
    Every small sliver of light the blinds let through will be the glint in a hideous vulture eye, watching you, waiting eternally for the money you took.
    When you can't sleep, and find yourself tossing and turning, you'll hear not the rustling of the sheets, but the sound of six €50 euro notes rubbing together, always following you. Even when you lie still, you'll still hear that sound in the minutest movement, in the slightest breath of air, always the rustling, rustling of those six notes, those simple six little pieces of paper rustling together, "why it's just paper and nothing more! There's no wrong in my taking just six little rustling pieces of paper!" you'll cry, but still the sound will follow you, the rustling sound creeping along the floor, on the bed, in your mind until you cry out "IT'S THE RUSTLING OF THOSE HIDEOUS €50 EURO NOTES!!" and collapse into a permanent stupor, trapped in a grim mania, hearing only the rustling, rustling...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Fran1985 wrote: »
    no my point was that everyone's arguement so far has been that someone is at home crying and starving, and sitting in the dark with no electricity, possibly going to be evicted...etc cos the OP was keeping the money.
    No-one here knows who owns the money and for all we know, it could be any of the above. Just wanted to know if people would feel the same about the OP keeping it, if it was seanie, bertie or a builder. Thats all. But as i said, OP wont know until he goes looking to see who owns it, with a few shop notices.

Indeed. It could be a drug dealers money, but that wouldn't suit the auld early AH morality party.

Give it till after lunch when the thread has morphed a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I found found ~€35 worth of Golden discs vouchers a few years ago and I couldn't spend it because I kept imagining some poor old lady buying them for her disabled grandson or some other horrible guilt inducing image.

So I put an advert in the Evening Echo saying 'Golden discs vouchers found near Wilton S.C. on xx/xx/xx.'

Got a couple of calls from chancers who got the amount wrong. Then one day just as I was about to give up I got a call and it was....

I'm never telling the incredible ending to this story.

Ah come on chuck, it was your wife to be wasent it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

LoL @ the people talking about karma. They're probably religious too I guess.

Feck it, let's turn this into an anti-christian thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

If I was stone broke and couldnt pay rent Id probaly keep it, if I was flush Id give it in. Its either a miracle or a test. Dwell on that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

It's annoying how the OP has blatant disregard for the morals of An Gardai Siochana, especially the idea of them only taking it anyways!

I found myself in a similar situation a few months ago.

I found an iPod touch in Eyre Square, used my usb connection to log onto my laptop, checked user information, got the email address, emailed the owner and within a day or two she got it back and was delighted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

All those people who say they would bring it to the Gardai..... what would be the minimum amount you ld bring there if you found it?

€10/€20?

€10 could mean as much to someone as €300 does to another.

That said, i cant blame the OP for keeping the 300.
    People should just take better care of their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 forevertwisted

Remember a few years back seeing a woman come out of Thomas Cook and the holiday money she must have just got changed fell out of her bag, must have been £1000. Moral dilemma as no-one else saw it, paused for a few moments trying to decide what to do (yes im a bad person for not immediatly giving it back), briefly after I chased her down and re-united her with her money. Not so much as a thanks or a few quid for the kind deed, as a 16 year old that was a lot of money! It felt good doing the right thing but you would think at least some gratitude wouldnt have gone amiss. Maybe I should write this in the stingy thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Heard something similar recently, a fella found a ring i think worth a fair bit of cash, handed it in. What ever radio station i heard it on said that there was a standard recovery time and after that the lost goods were free to be claimed by the finder..the waiting time wasn even that long, a couple of months iirc

More then likely that envelope meant somethin important to whomever lost it, if i wasn absolutely stone broke and in debt id hand it in making sure theres a procedure in place whereby if i dont know the actual owner has gotten their money back then its all mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

really just cements in my mind the type of site this place is - full of aul ones and holy molys

@OP - I'd have kept the money and said nowt on the net about it.

@all the goody two shoes - i'd have enjoyed it more cos it wasnt my money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Recently found €20 at my feet in an aisle in Superquinn, handed it in to Customer Service.

They asked for my name and address in case nobody claimed it, but I told them not to worry about it , the lady straight away said that they'd put it into the charity box they have there as they've had that happen quite regularly apparently.

Turns out the €20 more than likely fell out of my own pocket, but I wasn't going to go back to Superquinn and look for the money back, someone who needs it more than I would will benefit.

I think the OP was expecting a swell of support for keeping the money & now that they didn't get the answer they were expecting is trying to rationalise it to themselves.

I'd give it to the Guards to deal with. It's not your money, never was and "finders keepers" is just infantile in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Broads.ie wrote: »
    LoL @ the people talking about karma. They're probably religious too I guess.

Nope! :p
    Broads.ie wrote: »
    Feck it, let's turn this into an anti-christian thread.

Just for you then: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106392/Pope-Benedict-XVI-tells-infertile-couple-shun-arrogant-IVF-treatment-sex-husband-wife-acceptable-way-conceive.html

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

sooo many do gooders in here its unreal , i bet not 1 of you would hand it back

keep it op , don't mind the bullies

anytime i have a large amount of cash on me i make sure its in a good place , and i always check it evert few mins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

sooo many do gooders in here its unreal , i bet not 1 of you would hand it back

You would be wrong then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

four18 wrote: »
    Before you all jump up on your Moral high ground, Yes I am going to keep it. 6x50 euro in a white envelope. Its either me or the guard I hand it to at the station, and dont be telling me any different. I hate types that tell me to hand it in and probably rob stuff in work or live at home and hand up a pittance every week for their keep. AND if you still live at home, have the guts to share how much you hand up each week...Washing ironing, hot water, evening meal, open all hours fridge etc !! internet etc.
    you go girl

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Blow the € on hookers. It's their dilemma then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

How many of you have checked to make sure you have your wallet on you since reading this thread? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

gurramok wrote: »
    How many of you have checked to make sure you have your wallet on you since reading this thread? :)

my wallet is leather and doesn't contain 300 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

four18 wrote: »
    Before you all jump up on your Moral high ground, Yes I am going to keep it. 6x50 euro in a white envelope. Its either me or the guard I hand it to at the station, and dont be telling me any different. I hate types that tell me to hand it in and probably rob stuff in work or live at home and hand up a pittance every week for their keep. AND if you still live at home, have the guts to share how much you hand up each week...Washing ironing, hot water, evening meal, open all hours fridge etc !! internet etc.

tsk liar:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

So have we all just accepted that karma is a credible belief system?

:eek: :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭useless

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for a cut of the €300, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me my money now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Mr. Mills?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you still an atheist if you believe in karma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

bbam wrote: »
    In the late 70's my dad left £17k punt in a telephone box after making a call.

He went back 4 hours later and it was still there. Lucky escapee !

your dad was a rent boy back in the 70's?????

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Years ago I was in our car with my family and I pointed out to my dad who was driving that a car in front had a handbag resting on the back bumper (old fashioned metal bumper). So he started flashing his lights and hooting the car and waving him to stop. Which of course he didn't as he thought we were crazies.

Anyway after a while he got fed up and pulled up, and we pulled up behind him, and he came back to us all ready to do road rage. Dad pointed out the handbag and the poor man nearly collapsed! He retrieved the bag and came back to say that they were setting out on holiday, and the bag had all their holiday money in it. I would imagine the missus got an earful though...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Are you still an atheist if you believe in karma?

No you are just a dope!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Was the name Bertie on the envelope?

His ones are Brown though just like his ass licking nose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

funny how everyone keeps sayin its probaly some poor persons money for paying the bill .. or someones lifes savings etc ..how do we know it wasnt somebody who is evil`s money?? perhaps a drug dealer.. paedo .. or worse jedward??

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Eire.

Well, as someone else said, it could be drug money so you may have done a good thing!! On the other hand it may not :( I do think the guards would have kept it also. And If somebody so careless with that much money, they can't be that badly off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lolz90

I'm a student working a minimum wage job a few nights a week. Still living at home so realistically all I spend my few quid on is a few pints a week and cigarettes.

I was walking home from work a two months ago and I stopped in for a late night pint. Had never been in the pub before so the barmen wouldn't have recognised me at all. I ordered my pint and thought I handed over €5. Barman came back with €15 change. I told him I only gave him a fiver and thought that was the end of it. Went back to the pub a few weeks ago and the same barman asked if I was the lad who he gave the wrong change too. Said I was, and he handed me an envelope with €15. He said at the end of his shift he realised the till was over by €15 so he put my money in an envelope in the off chance I might come back.

Karma is alive and well. OP, you really should have handed that money in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

lolz90 wrote: »
    Karma is alive and well.

Except someone probably got shortchanged by €15 and presumably didn't get their money back.

Advertisement