Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It doesn't matter how good a musician you are. It's the size of the neck you have

• 25-12-2011 1:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

Do you think this is a true statement or not?

It doesn't matter how good a musician you are. It's the size of the "neck" you have? 20 votes

True
    0% 0 votes
    False
    75% 15 votes
    Don't know
    20% 4 votes
    Jedward
    5% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I know what you're saying.. It is usually the more extrovert and confident person that gets the job, as opposed to the one that has the most talent.. This is the same in most areas of industry, not just music...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

In the music industry, both are an asset. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Ive seen so called " musicians " that are not good at all with their instrument and still manage to get into bands. And the killing thing is that they manage to stay in those bands even though they are less than average . One would imagine that they would be found out and eventually kicked out of the band. But they rarely are.

Rigsby wrote: »
    In the music industry, both are an asset. ;)
    "Neck" is good but you have to be able to back it up with your performance imo.

• Advertisement

"Neck" is good but you have to be able to back it up with your performance imo.

Agreed. Though lot of the time the "neck" far out weighs the talent.

Agreed. Though lot of the time the "neck" far out weighs the talent.
    Couldnt agree more. That bugs me though!

Couldnt agree more. That bugs me though!

Me too !! Though I suppose it' not worth getting too upset about. That's the way of things in the music industry, especially these days as apart from years ago. Even back then the industry had it's fair share of hard necks too. Being true to yourself is what matters IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 maxsweeney

Lads i think ye all got it wrong here, I think they mean physically a big neck like Corey Taylor and Henry Rollins.

maxsweeney wrote: »
    Lads i think ye all got it wrong here, I think they mean physically a big neck like Corey Taylor and Henry Rollins.

LOL!! In that case put me down as a "dont know" ! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Of course it's down to the size of the neck. That's why I play 6 string bass and 8 string guitar ;)

Malice wrote: »
    Of course it's down to the size of the neck. That's why I play 6 string bass and 8 string guitar ;)

Nice "family" you have there Malice :) Might take me a while to get my fretting hand up to par to play one though. Sometimes, I even find the precision type neck on my G&L L2000 a bit wide. :D

Might take me a while to get my fretting hand up to par to play one though.
    With the 6 string bass I find right-hand technique more troublesome, specifically muting strings. There is a bit of a jump certainly if you move from the B string to the G string or something but I haven't had to do that much. Getting used to the low B would probably take a while though. I have the opposite problem these days though. If someone hands me a 4 string bass and I want to play a D note I have to remember "fifth fret second string" rather than "third fret, bottom string" :).

As for the 8 string guitar, it's definitely a beast. I only have the guitar a couple of weeks and most of that time I've spent recovering from a hand injury so I haven't had much of a chance to play it apart from a few scale and arpeggio lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Is it not the case of how much your willing to compromise, sell out, suck satans massive....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭Deco1983

Malice wrote: »

As for the 8 string guitar, it's definitely a beast. I only have the guitar a couple of weeks and most of that time I've spent recovering from a hand injury so I haven't had much of a chance to play it apart from a few scale and arpeggio lines.

that sounds about right.....

Deco1983 wrote: »
    that sounds about right.....
    :pac: I should point out the hand injury wasn't caused by the guitar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭Deco1983

......again that sounds about right:)

Deco1983 wrote: »
    ......again that sounds about right:)
    ;)

Advertisement