Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

experience before joining a band

• 24-12-2011 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

how many years do you reckon you should have before auditioning for a band?
    i dont want if your good enough your ready answers
    im wondering how long the average player takes to be ready

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noideaforaname

5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IMO there is no definitive answer to this. There is no such thing as an "average" player. People differ, so they learn and develop at a different pace to one another. It would also depend on how often they practiced, the type of pactice, and the type of music to be played. Obviously it would take a lot longer to be ready for say, a jazz band, then another type of band. Ironically, one of the best methods for speeding up development and gaining experience is to play with others, preferably with people better than yourself. It does not have to be a band, just jamming. So, with a general question such as this, I would be reluctant to put a time on it.

5 minutes

With some bands I have seen, I doubt if they put in that much time !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think it depends on your instrument.

A drummer with any kind of natural ability could provide beats after a few months i would say, if they practiced daily.

They wouldn't be anything spectacular, but lots of music genres don;t really call for snazzy drumming, as long as they can play on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It depends on quite a few factors. As others have already said, natural ability of the musician, the technicality of the target genre(s) and the ability of the target band are all important factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Whenever the feck you want really

Whenever the feck you want really

Unfortunately that seems to be too often the case ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

as a bass player what would i need to join a standard gigging rock n roll band
    including equiptment

Rigsby wrote: »
    Unfortunately that seems to be too often the case ! :D
    yeah lol, but it's kind of true. There's no real set time.
    cloptrop wrote: »
    including equiptment
    Any amp smaller than 100W is a waste of time

cloptrop wrote: »
    including equiptment

While we all know that these guidelines are unfortunately, often not adhered to, this is what I' recommend :

1. An excellent sense of timing and groove.

2. About a year's experience of playing (not gigging) with others.

3. Be fairly adept on your instrument.

4. Have all the material to be played at a gig, well rehearsed.

5. A professional attitude, i.e. dependable, always turning up for rehearsals, getting on with band mates, not drinking too much before a gig, etc

6. Depending on the venue, an amp with a minimum of 300 watts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Rigsby wrote: »
    While we all know that these guidelines are unfortunately, often not adhered to, this is what I' recommend :

1. An excellent sense of timing and groove.

2. About a year's experience of playing (not gigging) with others.

3. Be fairly adept on your instrument.

4. Have all the material to be played at a gig, well rehearsed.

5. A professional attitude, i.e. dependable, always turning up for rehearsals, getting on with band mates, not drinking too much before a gig, etc

6. Depending on the venue, an amp with a minimum of 300 watts.

+1

And a tuner......

+1

And a tuner......

How could I forget the tuner ? !!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

After listening to a lot of bands, seriously, the answer, if any, is zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

a 3 hundred watt amp? **** better start saving and hoping that i can find a band that gets payed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A 150w amp would be grand for a start however if you had the cash to save a little extra a 300w would be better for the long run.

Just stay away from b*heringer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fenderfreak91

You cant really put a time or date on that you can be as bad as humanly possible and still get an audition for a band it kinda depends on how much balls you have also there are some people who are amazing but probly wouldnt feel comfortable auditioning for a band again all about confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

You could spend years practicing, but still have no experience playing with other musicians. Just get in an audition, see how it goes. You'll know what work you will have to do once you audition. I played my first gig after 4 months playing. I had two days practice to get it together. The first rehearsal, I was nervous and played badly. I spent the next two days practicing and I was on it for the next rehearsal. The gig itself was great. Just get out and do it. Meet other musicians and you'll get an idea of how much work you will have to do to get to a standard you are happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benestoria2

Have you ever actually played a bass? or is it just an idea you have for the new year get a bass and join a band?....If you have played at all you will know yourself when your ready but take it from me there are alot of bass players out there in bands that learn the root notes to the basic chords which takes about 4 minutes and they join terrible mickey mouse bands just ploding along playing the 3 notes of the 3 chord song..a proper bass player will create the groove in the song think outside the box any worry more about what the drummer is doing rather that the guitarist..but this my friend takes years to perfect and will only happen with years of playing in bands so there no real answer just know your instument learn the notes and keys then practice practice practice

Have you ever actually played a bass? or is it just an idea you have for the new year get a bass and join a band?....If you have played at all you will know yourself when your ready but take it from me there are alot of bass players out there in bands that learn the root notes to the basic chords which takes about 4 minutes and they join terrible mickey mouse bands just ploding along playing the 3 notes of the 3 chord song..a proper bass player will create the groove in the song think outside the box any worry more about what the drummer is doing rather that the guitarist..but this my friend takes years to perfect and will only happen with years of playing in bands so there no real answer just know your instument learn the notes and keys then practice practice practice
    This is what I did for the first month or two of playing, but you really can't learn otherwise til you play for a while with a band.
    And you're dead right, it IS more about paying attention to the drummer than the guitarist

Advertisement