Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Junior Cert Irish HL?

• 29-03-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

I'm doing my junior cert in June and I really want to get an A in Irish. I got a B in my mocks which I was a bit disappointed about... (I wanted an A). Anyway the composition section in paper one (aiste, eachtra, díospóireacht) and the letter on paper 2 were my weakest sections. I wrote an eachtra and a personal letter for both. My friend's Irish teacher said to her if you want an A you need to either write an aiste (essay) or a díospóireacht (debate) for paper one and a formal letter for paper two. Is this true? How can I improve on these sections to ensure I get an A? For the mock all I did was learn off phrases from revise wise, what else can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I personally wouldn't agree with the teacher in this case. Our Irish teacher has us learn off an Aiste/Eachtra for the exam and we just edit it using our own initiative to make it suit the title on the day. It worked for most of the class, people generally got 35~40 out of 50.

Our class never touched debates or formal letters. For the litir in P2, our teacher says that, besides good Gaeilge, an "individual style" is important. In other words plenty of (cheesy) sayings and the like:

Caithfidh mé a rá = I must say
    Dara an scéal= by the way
    Níl suíomh gan locht (not sure of spelling)=nothing is without fault.

But different things work for different people, everybody to their own.

I tried to do this on the day and I got 75% overall. Like yourself I wanted that A, but better to get a B now and work for an A, than get an A now and end up with a B in the JC.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Kelly090

I personally wouldn't agree with the teacher in this case. Our Irish teacher has us learn off an Aiste/Eachtra for the exam and we just edit it using our own initiative to make it suit the title on the day. It worked for most of the class, people generally got 35~40 out of 50.

Our class never touched debates or formal letters. For the litir in P2, our teacher says that, besides good Gaeilge, an "individual style" is important. In other words plenty of (cheesy) sayings and the like:

Caithfidh mé a rá = I must say
    Dara an scéal= by the way
    Níl suíomh gan locht (not sure of spelling)=nothing is without fault.

But different things work for different people, everybody to their own.

I tried to do this on the day and I got 75% overall. Like yourself I wanted that A, but better to get a B now and work for an A, than get an A now and end up with a B in the JC.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the feedback and advice! Good luck in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

I know people always say quality over quantity, but a diospóireacht can be handy when you learn off a simple tús and críoch. It fills it out, and if you learn it properly it should put up the grammar marks some bit. 3 well developed points in the middle, use at least two "mar shampla..." things in the whole essay and you should get a decent mark. I got 42/50 and I was short of time for it. I can send on the tús and críoch if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Learn off an eachtra (just make sure it's 100% correct) and the same with the letter, learn off an opening, paragraph about your family and a closing and you sound like you'd be able to do the points you have to add in!
    Good luck :)

Xgracie wrote: »
    Learn off an eachtra (just make sure it's 100% correct)
    You'd want to learn loads of eachtras if you were relying on it for the exam though.

EDIT: Just thought about it there, you're right. The same eachtra could happen at a dioscó, cluiche peil or laethanta saoire. :P

• Advertisement

I know people always say quality over quantity, but a diospóireacht can be handy when you learn off a simple tús and críoch. It fills it out, and if you learn it properly it should put up the grammar marks some bit. 3 well developed points in the middle, use at least two "mar shampla..." things in the whole essay and you should get a decent mark. I got 42/50 and I was short of time for it. I can send on the tús and críoch if you want them.

Yeah that's a good idea, thanks! There are some phrases in my Irish book which I can use for the opening and closing paragraphs, thanks anyway though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

I`m hoping for an A myself in June too! I got 82% in the mocks so I`m nearly there!
    I would recommend the eachtra as no matter what comes up you can always make up a few sentences to change your prepared one around on the day. From eachtras you have written in class pick one topic to write about. A fire is the best as it can happen anywhere. Make up an introduction paragraph suitable for it with basic, yet good irish sentences e.g. Tharla an eachtra seo anuraidh ach ta se chomh soileir i m`aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhair gur tharla sé inné. Say what month it was, what you were doing etc. and make sure you get as much EXPRESSIONS as possible into it! Thats where the marks are ;)

Have loads of expressions in your main body when your saying what happened. You could even through in about being taken to hospital to extend it!

For the closing paragraph, say something like Fanfaidh an imeachtaí an lae sin i mo chuimhne go deo na ndeor.

Just remember for the eachtra expressions are key. Try to have a rough idea of your expressions and eachtra written out and learned for the day.

For the letter all you can do is learn off an introduction and close. Again, expressions wouldn`t do any harm. Make sure you develop each point they tell you to write about!

Hope I`ve helped :D

I`m hoping for an A myself in June too! I got 82% in the mocks so I`m nearly there!
    I would recommend the eachtra as no matter what comes up you can always make up a few sentences to change your prepared one around on the day. From eachtras you have written in class pick one topic to write about. A fire is the best as it can happen anywhere. Make up an introduction paragraph suitable for it with basic, yet good irish sentences e.g. Tharla an eachtra seo anuraidh ach ta se chomh soileir i m`aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhair gur tharla sé inné. Say what month it was, what you were doing etc. and make sure you get as much EXPRESSIONS as possible into it! Thats where the marks are ;)

Have loads of expressions in your main body when your saying what happened. You could even through in about being taken to hospital to extend it!

For the closing paragraph, say something like Fanfaidh an imeachtaí an lae sin i mo chuimhne go deo na ndeor.

Just remember for the eachtra expressions are key. Try to have a rough idea of your expressions and eachtra written out and learned for the day.

For the letter all you can do is learn off an introduction and close. Again, expressions wouldn`t do any harm. Make sure you develop each point they tell you to write about!

Hope I`ve helped :D

Yeah I did the same thing with my eachtra in the mock I just studied vocab and phrases about a car accident and no matter what came up I decided to use that...thanks for all the help! I will learn off some more phrases and hopefully it will work for me on the day. Good luck in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

does anyone have a sample story about a fire that I could use?

I know this is fairly obvious but make sure you don't leave out any point in the letter. They'll absolutely crucify you for marks... I learned the hard way coz I didn't read it properly while rushing.

• Advertisement

I know this is fairly obvious but make sure you don't leave out any point in the letter. They'll absolutely crucify you for marks... I learned the hard way coz I didn't read it properly while rushing.

Haha thanks... I did the same thing for my German letter in my mock. Better off making the mistakes now though than in the real thing :)

Just wondering if anyone knows of some impressive Irish phrases to include in compositions that will help bump up my marks? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Kelly090 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows of some impressive Irish phrases to include in compositions that will help bump up my marks? :)
    As in eachtras or aistes? :-)

As in eachtras or aistes? :-)

Yes ^ for eachtras/aistes/debates if you or anybody else knows any impressive ones ;) thanks :)

Yes ^ for eachtras/aistes/debates if you or anybody else knows any impressive ones ;) thanks :)
    I only know ones for eachtras...we haven't done debates and I hate aistes :-)

Tá sé chomh soiléir i m'aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné. (It's so clear in my mind I would swear it happened yesterday.)
    D'fhoghlaim mé ceacht tábhachtach an lá sin agus ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad air go deo na ndeor. (I learned an important lesson that day and I will never forget it as long as I live.)
    Bhíomar i gcruachás ansin. (We were in a dilemma then.)

They're the only one I can remember now...seanfhocals are really good in eachtras as well :-)

I found these sheets we got from our teacher very handy for dispoireacht even though they were made for litir fhoirmiúil. At first I used to have the sheets out in front of me doing our weekly aiste but at this stage I know practically all of them and I use them in exams. Hope it might be of use. :P

I only know ones for eachtras...we haven't done debates and I hate aistes :-)

Tá sé chomh soiléir i m'aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné. (It's so clear in my mind I would swear it happened yesterday.)
    D'fhoghlaim mé ceacht tábhachtach an lá sin agus ní dhéanfaidh mé dearmad air go deo na ndeor. (I learned an important lesson that day and I will never forget it as long as I live.)
    Bhíomar i gcruachás ansin. (We were in a dilemma then.)

They're the only one I can remember now...seanfhocals are really good in eachtras as well :-)

Thanks so much these are really helpful!:)

I found these sheets we got from our teacher very handy for dispoireacht even though they were made for litir fhoirmiúil. At first I used to have the sheets out in front of me doing our weekly aiste but at this stage I know practically all of them and I use them in exams. Hope it might be of use. :P
    These are great! Thanks so much :)

Sorry to sound stupid but what is an aiste? We only do eachtras! Also the Irish Revisewise has a really great selection of phrases for the eachtra/aiste/debate if you think it would be worth picking up :)

Sorry to sound stupid but what is an aiste? We only do eachtras! Also the Irish Revisewise has a really great selection of phrases for the eachtra/aiste/debate if you think it would be worth picking up :)

Aiste is essay. So you could consider them all aistí. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Aistes are like the opinion pieces kind of-like "famous people are setting a bad example for young people today" was one we had in our mock.

Thanks so much these are really helpful!:)
    You're welcome :-)

Eims14 wrote: »
    Aistes are like the opinion pieces kind of-like "famous people are setting a bad example for young people today" was one we had in our mock.

Ah I see! Sounds complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Ah I see! Sounds complicated!

Not really usually if i do then i just get really melodramatic and throw.in a load of.nathanna cainte its also handy for.me cos im a creative as a twig. so.storys aren't really my thing

Eims14 wrote: »
    Not really usually if i do then i just get really melodramatic and throw.in a load of.nathanna cainte its also handy for.me cos im a creative as a twig. so.storys aren't really my thing

I don't even know what nathanna cainte is! I thought I was good at Irish till I came on here lol I just learn off an eachtra

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kmac16

I got an A in higher level Irish in the JC 2 years ago. I learned off one full eachtra on a fire and I planned to adapt it to suit any indoors eachtra that came up and it worked. I also learned off a few phrases from an eachtra lasmuigh. I think if you did what I did it would suffice to get an A and it should cover whatever eachtras are on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

hf98kk wrote: »
    does anyone have a sample story about a fire that I could use?

I have loads of phrases and vocab I can give you no whole stories though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Disorganised Disaster

I'm doing my junior cert in June and I really want to get an A in Irish. I got a B in my mocks which I was a bit disappointed about... (I wanted an A). Anyway the composition section in paper one (aiste, eachtra, díospóireacht) and the letter on paper 2 were my weakest sections. I wrote an eachtra and a personal letter for both. My friend's Irish teacher said to her if you want an A you need to either write an aiste (essay) or a díospóireacht (debate) for paper one and a formal letter for paper two. Is this true? How can I improve on these sections to ensure I get an A? For the mock all I did was learn off phrases from revise wise, what else can I do?

I dont know about the compostition sector, our class only really did aistes. You definatley dont have to do a formal letter though! I got an A without one and so did a lot of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

To lengthen your story and add more vocabulary and expressions you can start off by:
    1. Talking about the day and before the accident happened
    Tharla an eachtra seo anuraidh ach tá sé chomh soiléir i m`aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné. Tús an earraigh a bhí ann agus bhí sé an maidin go hálainn. Ní raibh cíos, cás ná cathú orm.
    2. Describe the event (pick one topic e.g a fire and base any eachtra around that)
    Chuir mé fios ar na seirbhísí éigeandála. Ba bheag nár bhuail taom croí mé. Thosaigh an arm tine ag scréacháil
    3. Say you were knocked out and woke up in the hospital
    Níor chuimhin liom a dhath eile. Bhí me suaite agus spíonta amach. Tógadh mé go dtí roinn timpiste agus éigeandála san otharcharr.
    4. Give a conclusion (you were on the news and will always remember that event)
    Bhí tuairisc ar iméachtaí sna nuachtáin agus ar an teilifís. Is annamh go bhfuil mé sna nuachtáin! Fanfaidh ar imeachtaí an lae i mo chuimhne go deo na ndeor!

I hope I have helped you and if you need anything else just ask!

• Advertisement

To lengthen your story and add more vocabulary and expressions you can start off by:
    1. Talking about the day and before the accident happened
    Tharla an eachtra seo anuraidh ach tá sé chomh soiléir i m`aigne go dtabharfainn an leabhar gur tharla sé inné. Tús an earraigh a bhí ann agus bhí sé an maidin go hálainn. Ní raibh cíos, cás ná cathú orm.
    2. Describe the event (pick one topic e.g a fire and base any eachtra around that)
    Chuir mé fios ar na seirbhísí éigeandála. Ba bheag nár bhuail taom croí mé. Thosaigh an arm tine ag scréacháil
    3. Say you were knocked out and woke up in the hospital
    Níor chuimhin liom a dhath eile. Bhí me suaite agus spíonta amach. Tógadh mé go dtí roinn timpiste agus éigeandála san otharcharr.
    4. Give a conclusion (you were on the news and will always remember that event)
    Bhí tuairisc ar iméachtaí sna nuachtáin agus ar an teilifís. Is annamh go bhfuil mé sna nuachtáin! Fanfaidh ar imeachtaí an lae i mo chuimhne go deo na ndeor!

I hope I have helped you and if you need anything else just ask!

Your so good at Irish, thats so helpful! Thanks so much :)

Advertisement