Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Diploma in Further Education (Teaching Adults)

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering did anyone complete this course or are due to commence it?
    This course I'm looking at is in NUI Maynooth.

Thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Did you go to the information session on 13th of feb? There were a few students there who are doing the course now and a past student who is now teaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭clau22

Yes, I attended both the online Q&A session and the information session last Thursday. I have submitted my PAC application, so it's a waiting game now!

clau22 wrote: »
    Yes, I attended both the online Q&A session and the information session last Thursday. I have submitted my PAC application, so it's a waiting game now!

Good luck ;-)
    Did you have an interview yet?

Thanks! :-)

I have it this Thursday evening eeekkkk!!! Did you complete this course or are you starting it?

My dilemma now is what to wear for the interview, was thinking of a suit, maybe that's too formal though?

Thanks! :-)

I have it this Thursday evening eeekkkk!!! Did you complete this course or are you starting it?

My dilemma now is what to wear for the interview, was thinking of a suit, maybe that's too formal though?

I also applied for the course, my interview is on Thursday morning, I think smart/casual is the way to go, you want to be comfortable and relaxed. I did my degree course there and loved Maynooth, great for matures. Hope all goes well for you, we may end up as classmates!

• Advertisement

Ah will the very best of luck to you! Yes, I graduated from NUIM in 2012, I did the BA, yep loved Maynooth and also was a mature student!

I'll keep you posted on how I get on Thursday, might see you in September, all going well! ;-)

Well, attended the interview yesterday and felt really comfortable with both people who were interviewing me, felt it went well, how did you get on?

Hiya,

Yes, I too attended interview yesterday evening, and felt ok about it. It was very informal, as they said more of a 'chat' than an interview!
    Interviewers were very nice also. There must have been about 7 others being interviewed. Someone told me they may have 40 places available.
    Glad your interview went well. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks we'll hear back. :-)

Still no word!

louliewan wrote: »
    Still no word!
    I know! Last Thur would have bern the 2 weeks since interview, when I heard nothing I thought surely by Fri! I'll wait till Thur and if I hear nothing I'll ring!

• Advertisement

I got a message to say there was a high volume of applications and it would be mid march before interviews were finished but I was hoping to know before now. Hopefully by the end of the week we'll know ;-)

Still interviewing so it will be another while before we know

Yes, hopefully by the end of the week we should know! Very high volume of interviewees and unfortunately only 35 places approx!

Yes, hopefully by the end of the week we should know! Very high volume of interviewees and unfortunately only 35 places approx!

Any news?

Hi,
    Yes, I received word yesterday, I got accepted, now the fun begins!
    Have you heard anything back?

Hi,
    Yes, I received word yesterday, I got accepted, now the fun begins!
    Have you heard anything back?

Congrats, well done! Got accepted also, can't wait

Aw that's great! Be seeing you so at the Easter info session! :-)

Aw that's great! Be seeing you so at the Easter info session! :-)

Easter info session?

Well at the interview and I'm almost certain the info session that was in NUI we were told that we'd be meeting up around Easter time to go through placements etc, I presume once we accept and post Garda vetting form they'd get in touch with us about dates?

Well at the interview and I'm almost certain the info session that was in NUI we were told that we'd be meeting up around Easter time to go through placements etc, I presume once we accept and post Garda vetting form they'd get in touch with us about dates?

Ah that's grand, thanks, be seeing you then ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭38Flowers

Hi there,

Just wondering what this course qualifies you to do exactly?

Thanks

Hi,
    You can teach in any Further Education sector, FETAC accredited centers, eg: PLC colleges, Youthreach, VTOS, ETBs, teaching adults. Does not qualify you to teach primary/secondary.
    Hope this was of some help?!

Thanks a million for the quick reply Clau22

Is this qualification a requirement to work in these areas?
    And how many hours per wk is the course?

Thanks for the help

No prob, my emails come in straight away on my phone!
    Mon 6-9.30pm, Tue 9-5pm.
    Yes, you will be registered on The Teaching Council once qualified so those places I mentioned you would be required to be registered on Teaching Council. This will be the 3rd year if the course where you will be registered with The TC.

Thanks for all the info., much appreciated! Best of luck with the rest of the course. :)

@louliewan Hiya just wondering have/are you looking for teaching practice placement? I had an appointment this morning with one centre so fingers crossed! Have a few more in town I can try.
    Do you know of anyone on this year's course, like are you preparing for the course or know what's the coursework etc? I have been in touch with a former student, briefly and a current student who's been answering my questions and providing me with info.
    Also have been in contact with Rose.
    Be great if got both placements before the summer! ;-)

Hi Clau22, i have one place sorted tg, going to enquire in another one in Tallaght tomorrow. The only information I have on the course is what is provided in the module description, I was going to look into some of the theorists over the next while, just to get an idea of what their ideas were. Good luck with placements, I'm sure it will be fine for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sairaxx

Hi how are you. Just wondering would u have any info since you completed the course as im considering doing it myself.
    Thanks a mill

@sairaxx Hi,

I will be starting this course in September, so the only info I have is from an online Q&A session I attended plus an info session held in the college jn Feb. You can look up the course on the NUIM website. I can tell you the course is 1 year full time, 11.5 lectures, 100hrs teaching practice in a FETAC accredited centre. I hope this is of some help?!

• Advertisement

Did you get to attend today? Seems like a great bunch, very friendly, and staff in the department seem very approachable. The meeting was very positive, cant wait to get started. How are the placements going for you?

Advertisement