Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed - Unity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There are microtransactions in this?

There goes all my interest. There's already too many games coming out to play so the negative buzz and the microtransactions make it easier for me to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Oh dear :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I have bought every Assassin's Creed on release (sometimes pre-ordered), but I will be passing on this until the bugs are fixed and I see a decent discount applied - maybe 50% off in the Steam Christmas sale? A shame, really. I reckon this might go down much the same as AC3, and hopefully whatever comes after Unity will mirror Black Flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

When are the reviews for rogue out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

ShaneU wrote: »
    When are the reviews for rogue out?

The guy who reviewed Unity at IGN said they only received their copy of Rogue today, so it will take them a while to get through it. Maybe by the end of the week if most websites only received the game today.

Hope gamers vote with their wallet this time. Too common this scenario. Especially with game releasing in na before review embargo.
    Sly move.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Game has been burnt out by the developers. I never liked it beyond AC 2 and even then it wasn't great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If ever there was an argument for a fallow period for a franchise, it's for Assassin's Creed (perhaps Call of Duty too). Not only would it likely give the creators an opportunity to really polish the game and explore the mechanics and design in more depth, I also reckon it would be a powerful marketing tool that could reignite the interest of players burnt out on too many Creeds.

Obviously Ubisoft are milking the franchise for all its worth - with no minor amount of financial success - but I definitely reckon a year off is exactly what the series needs creatively and maybe even commercially (in the long-term, anyway).

Also would be nice if they managed to make a game that wasn't full of bull**** filler and farcically misguided campaign missions, but I'm just being idealistic now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

More Reviews.

Eurogamer - 7/10

As the seventh major instalment in the series, though, not to mention the first designed for new console hardware, Assassin's Creed Unity feels like a missed opportunity. Going back to basics at this point may have resulted in a less substantial game than recent years have led us to expect, but it might have delivered a more satisfying one. As it is, mild improvements in traversal and combat are quickly overwhelmed by the creaking systems onto which they have been grafted. Revolutionary Paris is one of the most beautifully realised environments in a series that has had its fair share of them, but the game you play doesn't really do it justice.

Joystiq - 2.5/5

Assassin's Creed Unity is the best and worst of Assassin's Creed. It's hard not to appreciate everything that it gets right, and you'll have a good time if you can wrangle some friends for co-op, but it's impossible to ignore where Unity falls tragically short.

Gamespot - 7/10

But is it the next-gen Assassin's Creed game we've all been waiting for? Not quite. It's very good, maybe even great in places, but the story's smaller focus has come at the expense of its exquisitely rendered backdrop. The grandness and spectacle that so often graces the finest Assassin's Creeds is sadly sorely lacking here.

Videogamer - 8/10

It's a good time to be an Assassin's Creed fan. I just wish my console could run it properly.

IGN - 7.8

Assassin’s Creed Unity leverages the new-generation consoles to add spectacular new sights and successful co-op multiplayer, but in doing so, it’s created some substantial new problems instead of solving the series’ most persistent ones. The scope is stunning, the customization is satisfying, and the multiplayer touches upon some really ambitious ideas. But the lack of a strong main character or interesting take on the Assassin’s Creed universe costs it momentum and excitement, and the persistent control problems are still a thorn in its side. The first truly new-gen Assassin’s Creed game is a gorgeous, entertaining, and successful proof of concept for what lies ahead for the series, though it isn’t what I’d call revolutionary.

Kotaku: NO

That isn't the game Ubisoft made. They made what amounts to a showpiece for a new graphics engine, a game that will initially turn heads but which quickly reveals itself to be frustrating, repetitive, and dull.

I've been happy with Assassin's Creed for a long time. Any series can have an off year, and hopefully Ubisoft will do better the next time around. But this year, for the first time ever, I'm telling you to skip the year's biggest Assassin's Creed.

Game Informer - 8/10

Inordinately long load times, repeated onscreen notifications, and a couple of hard freezes prove that Unity is a complex game that hasn’t yet had all of its bugs smashed. However, Unity’s frequent missteps are balanced against an astonishing array of engaging content set in a stunning world. Even as I tallied problems, I marveled at the game’s breadth of gameplay and richly realized world. I encourage fans to give Unity a try, and leave your expectations at the door. For both better and worse, Assassin’s Creed is moving in a new direction.

Polygon - 6.5

The ingredients are all here for a spectacular new standard for the series on Sony and Microsoft's new machines. But in the quest to build something that looked and sounded "next generation," Ubisoft Montreal failed to fix the problems that have accumulated over so many annual release. Combined with an uninspiring story, and a long list of considerable technical problems, Unity falls short of the fresh start Assassin's Creed needs.

Destructoid - 7/10

If Ubisoft fixes the glitches, Assassin's Creed: Unity will be a much stronger game, even if the ceiling is a bit lower in general. Unity's potential is not as strong as some of the better entries in the series, but it's good enough for existing fans to continue to journey.

USGamer - 3.5/5

Unity attempts to improve on some of Assassin's Creed's innate problems, but it misses the mark as often as it hits. Nevertheless, you'll want to play it for the gorgeous rendition of revolutionary (etc.) France and the involving, opened-ended primary assassination missions. It's clear Ubisoft is trying to shake up the series a bit, but next time they need to shake a little harder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's nasty to embargo the reviews until way after release. Really nasty. It doesn't actually affect me, as I usually wait a until a sale before buying a game, but it's still a really really nasty way of doing business.

It seems as if there is no difference between the major publishers these days. Ubisoft, EA, Activision, they all seem to have such contempt for their customers.

I'll still buy this, but only after a couple of price reductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Well I know I'm part of the problem but im going to but this game regardless of bad reviews. I like to make my own mind up and I've loved every AC game apart from the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Disappointed to see the reviews, i thought Ubisoft would really up their game.Just going to buy GTA5 next week and buy Unity and Far Cry 4 after a few months.It'll be probably the first AC i wont be buying on release day.They might bring rogue to next gen but tbh it looks like a mirror to AC3 and Black flag with little or no innovation.There's only so far you can go with regards buying games just for the story.

I just hope the Division isn't going to be a let down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Surprised, but not surprised at the same :pac:. Haven't been following the game as intently as previous years, so I was unaware of the embargo, but it makes sense given all the reviews pouring in. I'll pick it up to kill another week till the release of GTA V and another week closer to Far Cry, and I still want to experience Paris in AC environment of sorts, but once completing it, I'll probably trade it in if it doesn't hold my interest past the story and multiplayer.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Game has been burnt out by the developers. I never liked it beyond AC 2 and even then it wasn't great.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was never going to bother with this, but the level of technical issues, micro-transaction BS I am concerned what Ubisoft have managed to do to FC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

A series that has gone on for this long and still hasn't fixed/improved it's combat doesn't even deserve the reviews it gets.

It says a lot that the features people most enjoy (sailing) have nothing to do with the core of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Is the main reason for the mediocre reviews all the glitches and frame rate drops? If so can't they just patch these issues over the next few weeks or months?

Redo91 wrote: »
    Is the main reason for the mediocre reviews all the glitches and frame rate drops? If so can't they just patch these issues over the next few weeks or months?

Stor

Stor

• Advertisement

Stor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just cancelled my order of this, what a mess. They should have delayed this and not release another Assassin's Creed 3. I'll pick it up cheaper later when it's patched up and fixed. I thought this was going to be good and the franchise going back to it's roots but no.

Ubi are becoming as bad as EA releasing broken games lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Anakin Ancient Rumor

It's off my list now.

I usually buy myself 2 games for Christmas. Dragon Age 3 and Far Cry 4 are the current front runners.

Stor

Stor?

Stor?

Stupid internet. Sorry.

The story has gotten alot of flack stating that, the lead character is bland. And the story is not very interesting.
    These were 2 big concerns.

The technical aspects besides bugs were, not being able to use Cover system correctly with stealth missions. and the crowd aspect being annoying and feels like they are not in the same universe as character.

Not. Sure if they can patch that.

Hopefully they can and we get the game we were hoping for on next gen. Personally I don't think this we happen. I have a feeling it will. Be a mess for a while and ultimately will. Be remembered just like creed 3.. Which I played 2 hours of.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It's true that instant kills are gone

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-11-assassins-creed-unity-review

WTF?

Its a game about assassining and they take that out?

Stupid internet. Sorry.

The story has gotten alot of flack stating that, the lead character is bland. And the story is not very interesting.
    These were 2 big concerns.

The technical aspects besides bugs were, not being able to use Cover system correctly with stealth missions. and the crowd aspect being annoying and feels like they are not in the same universe as character.

Not. Sure if they can patch that.

Hopefully they can and we get the game we were hoping for on next gen. Personally I don't think this we happen. I have a feeling it will. Be a mess for a while and ultimately will. Be remembered just like creed 3.. Which I played 2 hours of.

No worries. Thanks for the reply.

Ya like most I had high hopes for this so it would be a shame if it turned out like ACIII. From reading reviews it seems to me like most actually say it is a decent game but the glitches/frame-rate drops are the biggest issue most people seem to have. What ever about the crowds and cover system couldn't they fix the bugs and frame-rate issues with a patch?

Ya like most I had high hopes for this so it would be a shame if it turned out like ACIII. From reading reviews it seems to me like most actually say it is a decent game but the glitches/frame-rate drops are the biggest issue most people seem to have. What ever about the crowds and cover system couldn't they fix the bugs and frame-rate issues with a patch?

these issues could be rooted in the game engine or ubisoft could just not bother fixing them once they reach their quarterly profit margin for their shareholders. hopefully i am wrong.

interesting to see what nick that far cry 4 is in next week, would not have thought an EA game(dragons age) will be leading the reviews for pre xmas game launches.

cant help but look forward to The Division and Rainbow Six a tiny bit less, or atleast lower my expectations for both by about 30%.we shall see...

the perfect scenario would be, that ubi learn from rushing this9(doubtful ala creed 3), people vote with their wallet and for it to be patched up nice and good next month and we get it in January for 30e on sale.:p

• Advertisement

these issues could be rooted in the game engine or ubisoft could just not bother fixing them once they reach their quarterly profit margin for their shareholders. hopefully i am wrong.

interesting to see what nick that far cry 4 is in next week, would not have thought an EA game(dragons age) will be leading the reviews for pre xmas game launches.

cant help but look forward to The Division and Rainbow Six a tiny bit less, or atleast lower my expectations for both by about 30%.we shall see...

Ya my expectations for those three games have definitely been lowered. Hopefully they get their act together. I'm a big fan of Far Cry and Rainbox Six so would be gutted if they turned out similar.

Advertisement