Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harrys Future

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hodgson will see out at least the next world cup with England, there's no way he'll be jettisoned even if they lose all 3 group games. Expectations with the English media for the Euros is at an all time low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

golfball37 wrote: »
    Hodgson will see out at least the next world cup with England, there's no way he'll be jettisoned even if they lose all 3 group games. Expectations with the English media for the Euros is at an all time low.

I agree. He will get til the next world cup at least.

What a job though. In that press conference yesterday he looked like he'd had enough already.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Even either expectations so low if England don't get to at least the quarter finals Roy will be turned on big time. If I'm honest It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't win a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Harry won't get the England job now. If Hodgson bombs, a younger man will be in.Funny thing is, Lambert and Moyes are Scottish and While Rodgers is (norn) Irish. Nigel Atkins (Adkins) is probably the best young English manager. Neville Neville's son might get the gig! Defoe toenail away from contending for the title. They were arrogant at Arsenal after the Newcastle game, and lost their bottle/confidence/mojo after that.
    Harry's biggest faults?
    He doesn't rotate enough; what the hell were Modric and Bale doing playing against Stevenage both games. Nico and Saha starred against Newcastle, and were hardly seen again. Why?
    He constantly lowers expectations, ok with the press, but you get the feeling that his lack of utter belief transmits to the players at times. Could you imagine Fergie or Mourinho expressing doubts in their own players. Wenger sounded utterly delusional at times this season, but guess what, they finished above us.
    Coaching. There's something missing in the coaching ticket. Bale's positional awareness, ditto Benny at the back post, the total lack of a set piece, VDV sitting in midfield leaving Ade on his own, resulting in him wandering out to the wings where he's not outnumbered.
    Having said all that, we play good stuff, are improving still I believe, and are surely ready to refresh the squad. Three or four quality players in, clear out of Bassong, Bentley, Jenas, Gomes, probably Charlie and Pienaar unfortunately. Caulker and Naughton will return to fight for places, and Huddlestone and Dawson might be like new signings. No reason to panic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What does the future hold for Harry now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I genuinely think this is one of the darkest days for Spurs. We will definitely lose at least one of our best players, and possibly more. Worst still, this trauma doesn't finish tonight, it'll continue when Chelsea start the qualification process for next seasons CL. I'm absolutely sickened. The pain starts tonight and now lasts all summer. Bollox anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Get rid of the idiot .. should have gone for it against Villa but played it safe. Wa***r

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

SuprSi wrote: »
    I genuinely think this is one of the darkest days for Spurs. We will definitely lose at least one of our best players, and possibly more. Worst still, this trauma doesn't finish tonight, it'll continue when Chelsea start the qualification process for next seasons CL. I'm absolutely sickened. The pain starts tonight and now lasts all summer. Bollox anyway.

Cheers SpurSI
    Pretty much sums up my feelings right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

When did that rule come in where the winner of the Champions League has to be in it the following year? Didn't it come in when Liverpool won it in 05 but finished outside the top 4? Then they had to enter the CL at the qualifying stages if I remember rightly.

Shouldn't we be in it by right? Why can't Chelsea enter via the qualifiers and us as well?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Safe to say Luka is gone, I'd be very surprised if Fergie didn't go after Bale as a replacement for Giggs. VDV could go either way but I think he'll stay. Ade will probably follow the highest bidder which won't be us.

At the very least that's 2 maybe 3 starting players from this season need to be replaced. I'd say we might get £70-80m for the two lads. They'll probably invest half that if we are lucky on new players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

flyswatter wrote: »
    When did that rule come in where the winner of the Champions League has to be in it the following year? Didn't it come in when Liverpool won it in 05 but finished outside the top 4? Then they had to enter the CL at the qualifying stages if I remember rightly.

Shouldn't we be in it by right? Why can't Chelsea enter via the qualifiers and us as well?

See unfortunately it's only an issue when it affects us. I agree that having finished 4th, we should not miss out on a place in the CL as over the course of the season we've deserved it, but they're the rules. I can't quite remember feeling this bad as a Spurs fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

flyswatter wrote: »

Because Liverpool had to take the place off another team in some small country and that team were supposed to start in CL qualifying round 1 and as Liverpool took their place so did they.

Because Liverpool had to take the place off another team in some small country and that team were supposed to start in CL qualifying round 1 and as Liverpool took their place so did they.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_FA_Premier_League#Final_league_table

Here's the table from that season. 5 teams qualified for the CL. Everton came fourth, Liverpool won the CL but came 5th and still qualified for next season.

What has changed since then that means we miss out?

Ares wrote: »
    That's bollocks. Liverpool were granted an additional spot and took no spot away from anyone. Absolute bollocks.

Yep. I think Liverpool got preferential treatment.

Did they ****. The Champions should always be allowed defend their title. Like Madrid in 2000.

Indeed in 03-04 the Premier League in March announced that if Arsneal/Chelsea won that years champions league and finished outside the top 4 they would automatically get a place.

If anything Liverpool failed to get preferential treatment from the fa when this came up the next year.

The rules are set in stone and perfectly clear. Spurs threw away a third place finish.

I don't get what your bitching about.

I don't disagree that the Champions shouldn't be allowed defend their title. I do think Spurs earned a place on merit though, by coming 4th and all.

As I said Everton got a place that season and didn't miss out. Are the rules as set in stone as you say when they seem to have magically changed in the space of a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That's bollocks. Liverpool were granted an additional spot and took no spot away from anyone. Absolute bollocks.

Makes no sense at all. The spot wasn't magically made up and given to them. It had to be at the expense of someone else. Maybe not in england but definitely sonewhere. If an additional single place were given you would have an uneven amount of teams in qualifying rounds / byes etc that iirc was not the case.

Editing this - there was a long debate after this post which the moderators have decided to delete without noting it in the thread.

The end result was that Liverpools participation meant that the 1st qualifying round was expanded and the second qualifying had less matches in it. In summary they didn't cost another team a place in the competition but somewhere along the way a team who would have been in the 2nd qualifying round ended up in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Guys please......... It just didn't happen. I am gutted. The best team lost tonight. Why ate we arguing eh? It's a sad state of affairs for snub team who's future is dictated on a result they have no impact on. Let's move on, build the team and start a fresh challenge.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    This is embarrassing lads.. the rules are what they are now, Liverpools scenario changed the rules, we're not in and don't deserve to be.. just accept it.

Verging on John Delaney and 33rd team levels of cringe in here.

Cop on FFS
    We knew this from ages and ages ago. If we got third and arsenal were fourth, we would be celebrating the rule. It has disastrous implications but i hope the board play a game of opposite limbo with the vultures for bale and modric. How high can you go? £80 mill would do nicely.

Harry Redknapp, not fit to manage our great football club, close the door on your way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp, not fit to manage our great football club, close the door on your way out.

agree 100% with above hatch , how do ya feel with your 4th now harry eh?

last night was a defining moment for our club. Gutted.

Villa - parker for vdv said it all ....

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    agree 100% with above hatch , how do ya feel with your 4th now harry eh?

last night was a defining moment for our club. Gutted.

Villa - parker for vdv said it all ....

Exactly. The same guy who told us we would challenge for the title, then decided it was the target to finish 3rd, then says it's great to finish 4th, and then say's we should be happy finishing above Liverpool and Chelsea, what land is he living in.

It's not just the parker for vdv change, although it's a good example, there are several examples. His handling of situations such as Bent, Keane, Lennon, VDV, Dos Santos etc etc has been awful. And his constant media talk, about himself during the England phase, the Modric issues and so on. He is not for us.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Why did all the stuff posted last night get deleted?

And why are the posts stating that Liverpool got preferential treatment still allowed up?

What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

And why are the posts stating that Liverpool got preferential treatment still allowed up?

What's that all about?

I'd imagine it was to do with the fact that it had feck all to do with Harrys Future but a note to that effect wouldn't have gone astray. :)

I edited my post earlier to hopefully stop the same debate happening again.

I'd imagine it was to do with the fact that it had feck all to do with Harrys Future but a note to that effect wouldn't have gone astray. :)

I edited my post earlier to hopefully stop the same debate happening again.

Yeah, sorry for dragging it off topic, just didn't want to start a new thread. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Harry will be given 1 more year to get us back into the CL,unfortunatly he will fail because our direct rivals are going to throw money in their squads leaving us only in the market for 2nd tier players.
    It's fair to say that last nights result has knocked us back at least 5 years,maybe even more.And until we move into the new stadium and start paying the stellar wages the top players command we will find ourselves between 5th and 8th for the forseeable future.

What's that all about?

Because most of it had fcuk all to do with the thread.
    I didn't have time to delete them all, so just deleted what I saw in a short period. No offence intended by not deleting certain ones.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Because most of it had fcuk all to do with the thread.
    I didn't have time to delete them all, so just deleted what I saw in a short period. No offence intended by not deleting certain ones.

Grand. Maybe put up my post again where it shows that Liverpool did not take anyone's spots.

Right now the thread has the posts that claim Pool took someone's spot, which as demonstrated, is wrong. Delete this away when you've read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Harry will be given 1 more year to get us back into the CL,unfortunatly he will fail because our direct rivals are going to throw money in their squads leaving us only in the market for 2nd tier players.
    It's fair to say that last nights result has knocked us back at least 5 years,maybe even more.And until we move into the new stadium and start paying the stellar wages the top players command we will find ourselves between 5th and 8th for the forseeable future.

what direct rivals are going to do that ? Arsenal will lose van persie and wont re-invest the money. They wont spend big during the summer, either will liverpool or newcastle. Even if the pool do spend big then it wont be big enough.

Arsenal will be a poorer team without rvp , thats for sure.

Next season is an opportunity for us to get back in champs league and win the europa league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I know this is gonna start a long argument but I have to disagree. We are Spurs. We don't have a divine right to a great manager. Harry is far from perfect but he is the best manager we have had in about 20 years. The chairman knows that, the players know that, and I think the majority of the fans know that.

Bayern beating Chelsea cannot possibly make him less fit to manage our club, that is irrational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ormus wrote: »
    I know this is gonna start a long argument but I have to disagree. We are Spurs. We don't have a divine right to a great manager. Harry is far from perfect but he is the best manager we have had in about 20 years. The chairman knows that, the players know that, and I think the majority of the fans know that.

Bayern beating Chelsea cannot possibly make him less fit to manage our club, that is irrational.

+1

Advertisement