Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling to India Travel Insurance

• 25-01-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi I plan to cycle to India this year and have been looking up Insurance to cover my trip (both health and content) has anybody any suggestions and have any experience with this.
    I plan to cycle to Turkey and then into Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, China and then India.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Went with https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/ for a 6 month trip. They have an option for cycling touring (Higher Risk) . Didn't bother with contents cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have cycled to India (overflew Pakistan) and also used them, although it ran out after a year and I'm still on the road. You really only want coverage for the utter disasters (e.g. need limb reattached / emergency medical evacuations;) everything else doesn't really matter and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You can't get directly from China to India on a bike (no open border) but maybe you know that. Your best bet if you want to do it is ride illegally through Tibet dodging the police checkpoints and cross into Nepal (I met a cyclist in Kathmandu who had done this and only got a slap on the wrist. YMMV.) You can get the Nepalese visa at the border no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

blorg wrote: »
    I have cycled to India (overflew Pakistan) and also used them, although it ran out after a year and I'm still on the road. You really only want coverage for the utter disasters (e.g. need limb reattached / emergency medical evacuations;) everything else doesn't really matter and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You can't get directly from China to India on a bike (no open border) but maybe you know that. Your best bet if you want to do it is ride illegally through Tibet dodging the police checkpoints and cross into Nepal (I met a cyclist in Kathmandu who had done this and only got a slap on the wrist. YMMV.) You can get the Nepalese visa at the border no problem.

that sounds like an awesome trip

Complete off topic, did you ever set up a website or a blog Blorg? Would love to see some of your pictures/hear stories of your travels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Question about touring within Europe and Insurence, would an E111 card be enough or is it recommended to get extra cover?

• Advertisement

@Donal- not yet although I'll stick something up eventually.

As to touring within the EU, I don't consider that any different than touring at home and so never bothered with anything beyond the E111.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DeanMcMenamin

blorg wrote: »

Thanks a million for the reply your trip sounds amazing, where did you fly from and to. Was the flights expensive and was there any trouble with your bike on the plane.

Thanks a million for the reply your trip sounds amazing, where did you fly from and to. Was the flights expensive and was there any trouble with your bike on the plane.
    I flew from Muscat in Oman to Mumbai. There wasn't too much trouble with the plane, I turned up early and argued and lied as you often have to. I cycled to Muscat from Dubai after getting the ferry from Bandar Abbas in the south of Iran (overnight, easy enough to sleep on the deck.)

It is actually substantially easier to fly to India from Dubai, but I wanted to ride across UAE+Oman so as to do as much as possible on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sciencegeek

Hi guys,
    Hoping to do something similar to ye both (although taking it in stages because of time restrictions). Last summer cycled to Moldova. I'd love to continue on this route via turkey and Iran this summer. What is the situation like in Turkey (refugees/Syria) and Iran (always getting a bad rap in the press). I cycle with a female so is this an issue? Hope the travels are going well....

Advertisement