Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A question (writing about surfing in Ireland)

• 18-11-2014 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hello guys unt gals,

Some regular surfers might be good to chime in on this one.

While I am not an avid surfer, (a classic weekend warrior with a longboard), I enjoy reading about it, and watching interviews, especially with people or in places that wouldn't be considered "the norm".

A recent journo graduate, I'm trying to occupy my time and compile some articles for possible publication.

To date, I haven't written anything on surfing. I was thinking about trying to get in touch with Fergal Smith,and approaching a newspaper here to see if they'd be interested in carrying it.

Anything I have read in the media to date seems to treat surfing as a novelty as opposed to a sport.

Saying that, the big wave surfers did get some exposure and it was something that was treated quite seriously.

I don't think I've ever heard anything on newstalk about it. Maybe it's just a case that until someone makes more of a splash (pun intended) in the international world of surfing, the mainstream media won' focus on it.

There was one story recently about homophobia in the surfing community.

I was in Cornwall a few months back, and while it is a beautiful spot, it was crowded.

In my opinion, Ireland has far more to offer than Cornwall for surfers, but I would be more aware of Cornwall in the glossy mags than the West of Ireland.

A good thing I suppose in terms of keeping crowds at bay! I'm not for a second suggesting I write about all the great spots around Ireland!

But anything you folk think could be covered, I'd be willing to try and muster up a few articles. :cool:

Maybe some comparisons between surf cultures in different countries and the likes could be a good place to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Irish times had a journalist do a number of features a couple of years ago - not sure it went anywhere but got a bit of publicity at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A lot has been done on the big wave surfing alright, but maybe not so much done on lads who might be competing in other tournaments around Europe or the world, or some other aspects of the Irish surfing scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

I went to Cornwall once a good few years ago and I couldnt get myself back out of there quick enough, I was ment to stay for the weekend but I sat back into the car that afternoon and high tailed it out of there.

I came home more depressed then I had been in a long time at what the future held.

And while I dont know the bloke, anything I have heard about Fergal Smith, he's the wrong boy to be chasing, Id say what your trying to pimp would be the furthest thing from his mind.

I don't really know what I want to pimp to be honest. I have been following the Line9 vids and his name popped into my head.
    Maybe something like looking at what people do to facilitate surfing as a major part of their lives, much the same way people might take on certain types of jobs to facilitate being in a band etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

How about an idiots guide to surfing - I'm sick of people saying its windy the surf must be good.

Couple of years ago when everybody had money and petrol was cheap lots of people took up surfing and it got busy (for Ireland) then with the recession an high petrol prices it got quite for a while. Lots of young lands and ladies have gone to Oz to work a good few of them will try surfing there and come home wanting to keep going so in as little as one or two years it's going to take off again. So making your self the go to guy for articials can only be good for you.

Fergal's videos are very good and I'd say he'd make a good interview what harm could come of contacting him and taking a trip to Clare

Also there are a lot of new up and coming photographers around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

I've interviewed Fergal and he's very approachable and generous with his time. Tbh, I've found that with a lot of the surfers and photographers out west. I think your bigger issue will be finding an interesting angle. Despite what you think there's been loads of coverage on surfing in the irish media over the past 10 years. A whole spate of it in the immediate aftermath of John McCarthys AIB add a few years ago, and again when Prowlers was in the news. The challenge will be finding a new way to write about it. What would you like to say other than what's been covered before in print, radio and tv. i.e. "Here's something you may not know but Ireland has some of the best surf in the world. Let's talk to some surfers." I'm not knocking you, I'm genuinely asking the question you need to ask yourself. Why do it? What's the angle? I'm not sure any of the broadcasters or publications would need or want another of the same kind of articles. But if you could find something new to bring to the table...

You're right. It's finding a new angle. It's already been done otherwise. I was more interested in Fergal's pursuits outside of surfing than the surfing itself. The gardening etc.

Perhaps there is another community within the community of surfers, or sea watersports enthusiasts...

Look at it another way, plenty of adventure sports in Ireland with little or no interest in the press, it's not just surfing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

There's already a book out about surfing in the west coast of Ireland.
    I think its called "Cliffs of insanity"

Most of the Irish surfer's I know of are very humble and laid back.
    They tend to stay away from the limelight and keep it more underground rather than get caught up in all the hype and egocentric side of extreme sports.

Bodyboarders are the same they like it the way it is, and to find out about the surf scene you're going to have to get your feet wet and get and work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

seachto7 wrote: »
    You're right. It's finding a new angle. It's already been done otherwise. I was more interested in Fergal's pursuits outside of surfing than the surfing itself. The gardening etc.

Perhaps there is another community within the community of surfers, or sea watersports enthusiasts...

A new angle would be for example a series of articles about each specific beach/reef break. With description, history but focusing on the specifics of the actual place like which exact place is best for catching waves there, is it best on high or low tide etc. You could combine it with an interview with a local surfer that knows the spot very well.
    In result you would have an interesting series of articles interviewing local surfers and giving people interesting detailed information about the specific spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fins magazine was good when it was out

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What about Fergal's brother Kevin? He's the one who mostly films and photographs Fergal these days I think, like the Growing series on MSW.

He's a highly accomplished surfer himself as far as I know but is rarely seen on front of the camera (though I think injury might have had a part to play in that). Maybe writing about the people who document these things and what makes them tick could be a different angle to take.

In fishing magazines they used do a thing called watercraft, they analyse certain fishing marks and what's the best tidal conditions, wind direction etc

It could be good to maybe print a surfing guide around the west coast.

Someone else mentioned something similar in an earlier post.

Watercraft helped my fishing

You could also maybe get in touch with the original surfers who remember the olden days and get the old war stories about having no wetsuits and battling the elements. ..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MACtic wrote: »
    A new angle would be for example a series of articles about each specific beach/reef break. With description, history but focusing on the specifics of the actual place like which exact place is best for catching waves there, is it best on high or low tide etc. You could combine it with an interview with a local surfer that knows the spot very well.
    In result you would have an interesting series of articles interviewing local surfers and giving people interesting detailed information about the specific spots.

That's a nice idea, but I have a feeling it would alienate a large portion of the surfing community and would also be pretty hard to get locals to spill the beans about their favourite spots. Would be fine with well known spots but off the beaten path kind of spots would be a bit of a touchy subject :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You could do a write up on each of the surf towns in Ireland, Tramore, Lahich, Enniscrone, Strahdhill, Bundoran, Portrush handy for hens and stags.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's a nice idea, but I have a feeling it would alienate a large portion of the surfing community and would also be pretty hard to get locals to spill the beans about their favourite spots. Would be fine with well known spots but off the beaten path kind of spots would be a bit of a touchy subject :P

How would this alienate "a large portion" of the surfing community? Any reasons why you think so?
    As for the actual spots - it's not the nineties anymore. People know about most of the spots anyway. It's not any secret anymore. Anyone can find information if they want.
    I also haven't encountered any situation when someone would refuse to share the information. Surfers in Ireland are very open and I can recall many situations when others would share where they surfed, how was it, etc. The same way I share with them.

Of course there will always be those super secret spots only known to locals but most of the people wouldn't go there anyway because it's far away or difficult or only working at very specific times. That's why I wouldn't worry about such mega secret spots anyway. There's many places that would generate a long series of articles already.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

I tend to agree with MACtic that this notion of keeping spots secret so they don't get ruined is a bit outdated. A quick online investigation will put you onto a lot of "secret" spots. The reason Irish surfing hasn't been ruined by crowds is not because the spots are kept secret, it's a combination of the weather (so many people will cry off surfing in ireland because of the temperature during the best time of year to surf) and the remoteness of the spots (how many people, experienced or otherwise, can be arsed driving over 3 hours from where they're forced to live and work for a couple of hours surfing?). We've all done it, but honestly, if you don't live on the west coast how many times during the year is the average punter gonna make the trip? I'd say twice. Maybe.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Anything that would go into detail about known spots could be giving the game away for where and when is best to catch waves in these places, and if folk might not be keen on giving out that information.

Something on older guys and gals surfing, 40+ or 50+. I suppose the stereotypical imagine is of hip cool youngsters on their boards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Anything that would go into detail about known spots could be giving the game away for where and when is best to catch waves in these places, and if folk might not be keen on giving out that information.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I think secretive approach is counterproductive at it's core. It limits and restricts not only collaboration and knowledge transfer but any social aspects as well.

Look for example at popular channels on youtube. The most successful ones are the ones that focus on deep analysis and attention to details. This is true for every subject that people are interested in. The more detailed and thought out the content is - the more interesting it is.
    To give an example let's look at Shred Show on youtube. It's very popular and has very high amount of views.
    The secret of it's success is the amount of detail that Chris goes into when talking about the boards, fins and other equipment. This is what gives him views and makes him popular.
    That's why I think detailed and honest approach is the key here. People that are interested in specific subject find the actual details most interesting.

I suppose so. Good point.

• Advertisement

One possible angle is to write about the effects of the recession on surfing and the local communities and how those communities are surviving

rodento wrote: »
    One possible angle is to write about the effects of the recession on surfing and the local communities and how those communities are surviving

From what I see they're doing ok.
    Surfer's adapt quite well to economical hardship.
    Actually I think they're better at being frugal than the average person.

Lahinch seems to be thriving,no matter what the weather is, its busy.

Sometimes the worse the weather is the more people want to catch sight of the sheer brutality of the ocean.

Advertisement