Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NHL: 2012 Playoffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Game five of the Pens-Flyers fiasco tonight, not even going to bother trying to call this one.

Some of the more ridiculous stats so far:
    • Fleury GAA: 5.43, Sv%: .817 (had the second highest total of goals against after three playoff games in NHL history, 17)
    • Johnson GAA: 6.00, Sv%: .667
    • Bryzgalov GAA: 4.95, Sv%: .844
    • Bobrovsky GAA: 8.11, Sv%: .722
    • Total goals against: 44 / Total saves: 198 (Sv% 0.818)
    • Matt Read is 2 for 3 (66.7 percent), Danny Briere is 4 for 7 (57.1 percent), Jordan Staal is 5 for 10 (50 percent), Max Talbot is 3 for 6 (50 percent).
    • Most goals after four games of a series in NHL history.
    • In all four games, the team that has scored first has lost.
    • In all four games, there has been a goal in the first four minutes.
    • There have been 20 first period goals in the first four games, an average of 5 per game. Pittsburgh have as many first period goals as Ottawa, San Jose, Boston, Vancouver, Phoenix, Nashville, Detroit and Washington combined.
    • The series has produced 282 penalty minutes in four games, an average of over 70 per game.
    • Game 1: 4 minor penalties. Game 2: 8 minor penalties. Game 3: 24 minor penalties. Game 5: 20 minor penalties
    • A total of 55 minor penalties, 6 majors, 1 bench minor, 9 misconducts, 4 game misconducts, 1 match penalty,
    • The Flyers have scored at least one power-play goal in the first four games of the series and have collected 9 power-play goals on just 15 opportunities
    • The Penguins PK stands at 40%, the Flyers at 66.7%. The Flyers have also scored 3 SHG, with Max Talbot scoring two and assisting on the other.

It really is one of the craziest playoff matchups ever.

It'll go the distance, and then be a 1-0 in game 7. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

Well last night was a total bust. Had high hopes of leaving Washington with a 2 game advantage, but ended up frustrated as **** after being held by Hotby yet again.

The kid is doing really well, but i feel is being given a helping hand by inadequate offensive play by the Bruins. No point in just firing on net all night if no-one is going to get in to the dirty areas. If that keeps up we'll be having an early summer.

Pens v Flyers tonight ........ 1-0 Pens.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Was checking out the odds on the game tonight, I've seen the total goals line at 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 before, but never at 6.5...

Tonights is at 7.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

madness at the end of the bruins game last night, bruins had a good extra 4 seconds play and nearly got a goal out of it...

that could have been some disaster...

surely the pens-flyer series has to calm down and a small bit of defense be played...

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    madness at the end of the bruins game last night, bruins had a good extra 4 seconds play and nearly got a goal out of it...

that could have been some disaster...

"With 9.5 seconds remaining in the third period, there was a stoppage and resulting face-off in the Washington zone. During the stoppage, the game clock operator and Series Manager determined that 0.9 seconds should have been added to the time remaining in the third period and attempted to contact the on-ice officials to delay the puck drop to accommodate making the necessary clock adjustment to 10.4 seconds remaining.

"The off-ice officials were not able to attract the attention of the referees or linesmen despite sounding the horn, which was not audible due to crowd noise, and the puck was dropped.

"The NHL Situation Room in Toronto immediately was aware that the clock had not started for 5.3 seconds after the face-off and, therefore, would have disallowed a goal scored with 5.3 seconds or less showing on the clock."

• Advertisement

Normal service has resumed. Penguins taking stupid penalties and paying the price, 2-1 after the first, with all the goals coming on the PP. On the 5 on 3 when Hartnell scored, Orpik looked like the only Penguin who wasn't a statue. Interesting two periods ahead.

Fleury still looks awful.

Fleury still looks awful.

Scratch that, incredible third period from the Flower and yet another come from behind victory in this series. There have been more lead changes in this series than the other 7 combined, that says it all.

Roll on Sunday in Philly!

Honkeytown takes out Hockeytown in 5.

Preds are my tip to go all the way this year. Realistically will play Phoenix (unless VAN or CHI undo 3-1 deficits) in Round 2 and should have too much for them.

Hopefully that's not the end for Lidstrom, but all good things must come to an end I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

25 game suspension for Raffi Torres.

Link to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

25 game suspension for Raffi Torres.

Link to follow.

Full explanation here:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=173753

Please please please let Boston go out before us.

Well I can't see us coming back from this now. B's played tonight like it was a pre season game, no control, no effort, no use.

Our top lines have been awful this series, and in these games they need to show up. They better leave it all on the ice tomorrow, or it will be a very long summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

Hey guys, been searching around for ever for a channel to watch the games and i stumbled upon this thread. anyone know for the canucks came tonight.... i thought it might have been on espn but no dice :( any chance of setanta???
    very disappointing start for the nucks so far :(
    but at least Boston isn't doing much better :)
    wish i could just be in van to watch the games, downtown was insane for the finals!!

Setanta has the rights. No idea if they're showing the game though.

As for the game on at the minute: Philly are up 2-0. With the team scoring first losing every game so far this series, I'm already looking forward to game 7!

I don't like to moan about calls on the ice for the most part, but we have no hope of getting through this series if we are playing against the officials as well.

20 more minutes, give it everything.

I don't like to moan about calls on the ice for the most part, but we have no hope of getting through this series if we are playing against the officials as well.

20 more minutes, give it everything.

Pulled through in the end, Game 7 will be a cracker.

Disappointed to see the Pens out so early but they weren't near good enough over the series. Flyers will be very tough to beat.

Gutted...

tolosenc wrote: »
    Gutted...

Not meaning to rub it in, but from what I gather that's the first time a Presidents Trophy winner has failed to win more than a game in the playoffs since 1993. A win for Ottawa tonight and both the top seeds are out.

Not meaning to rub it in, but from what I gather that's the first time a Presidents Trophy winner has failed to win more than a game in the playoffs since 1993. A win for Ottawa tonight and both the top seeds are out.

It's embarrassing. More so that AV seemingly refuses to accept that the reason we lost was not Jonathon quick, but rather our inbility to score over the last few months. We do have a mental block when it comes to agressive goalies, made Timmy T look better than he is last year, and made Quick look better than he is this year.

Still. Preds will win the Cup this year. Certainly better than every team in the West.

Don't think we'll pose much of a threat next season. Playoffs, and probably division title, though. We need a decent Luongo trade this summer.

Only Boston and Chicago being eliminated this week will make it better! :P

• Advertisement

It's embarrassing.

It was strange watching them lose with dignity this time around . No hair pulling, biting or crying after the game was a strange sight. Even knowing that they lost with Schneider in the nets was an odd feeling. It's so much more fun watching the wheels come off of Luongo in the big games. I'm a big fan of Ryan Kesler, so watching him play as poorly as he has this post season was also very strange to me.

With all of the above being said, just knowing that the Vancouver Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup......ever........not even once ...... makes my heart warm.

Not meaning to rub it in, but from what I gather that's the first time a Presidents Trophy winner has failed to win more than a game in the playoffs since 1993.

If you were going to rub it in, you would have posted something like this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

tumblr_llevr3OeFg1qg7n8x.jpg

If you were going to rub it in, you would have posted something like this !!

vv-meme-generator-lose-series-4-1-take-that-canucks-724da0.jpg

Saw this one and thought you might enjoy it...

vv-meme-generator-lose-series-4-1-take-that-canucks-724da0.jpg

Saw this one and thought you might enjoy it...

A part of me is sad that I didn't get a chance to see Roberto Luongo self destruct again. All in all, the Vancouver goaltenders played well in this series.

Never been so nervous watching a game as I was last night, my heart was jumping all bloody night.

Back to the Garden Wednesday night to hopefully break through this stubborn Caps D, it's been an absolute slog this series. I knew it would be tough, but this has been heart stopping stuff. For the neutral it must be great to watch.

Great to see the Canucks out, hopefully tonight Ottowa will finish off the Rangers.

Either way it's shaping up to be a storming post season.

Huuuuge save by Lundqvist midway through the 2nd. Teams are level with the Rangers shading it, but Ottawa dangerous in attack. Nicely set up.

3-2 win after a rock solid performance by Lundqvist. Another Game 7 to look forward to on Thursday night.

Congratulations to Mike Smith and his Coyote teammates. You advanced to the next round of the playoffs for the first time since relocating. Mike Smith was OUTSTANDING.

True story, many, many years ago(2001). I told then Chicago Blackhawks General Manager, Mike Smith, that he should draft goal-tending prospect Mike Smith in the NHL Entry Draft. He looked at me like I had three heads (in fairness...he was right ....I had never seen him play and only said it because they had the same name).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

It isn't a surprise that any of them made the play-offs but it is a very surprising final foursome in the West! The year of the underdog?

Advertisement