Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I think classic circuits like Spa should be a permanent fixture on the GP calender and never be under the threat of being removed.

Agreed, it's painful to watch super tracks like Spa, with real history behind it, struggle against the likes of the Middle East ones. Unfortunately, money speaks is what counts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Schumacher to compete in his 300th GP at Spa.
    Michael Schumacher thinks his Mercedes team must celebrate his 300th grand prix in the right way - with a strong performance on track in Belgium.

Despite some recent difficulties for Mercedes, Schumacher believes the high-speed nature of Spa-Francorchamps allied to car improvements should help his outfit get back on form.

"Spa is like my living room; for me, it's clearly the number one race track in the world," said Schumacher, who will become only the second driver in history to compete in 300 grands prix.

"It's uncanny how I always seem to have special moments there - my debut, my first win, a world championship victory and many great races.

"The fact that I will also take part in my 300th grand prix at Spa was somehow almost inevitable and we will have to celebrate it in the right way. I'm proud to be just the second driver in the history of the sport to reach this milestone and there's no question that we are looking to have a particularly nice weekend.
    Full article on Autosport.

Made his debut there in the Jordan in 1991 and has had 6 victories there. Won the 1995 GP there after starting from 16th on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think classic circuits like Spa should be a permanent fixture on the GP calender and never be under the threat of being removed.

I agree 100% and I mean 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭amacca

EnterNow wrote: »
    Agreed, it's painful to watch super tracks like Spa, with real history behind it, struggle against the likes of the Middle East ones. Unfortunately, money speaks is what counts

pity....Spa is just such a great great track

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

but even Spa is not as good as it was a few years ago. Classic corners are now just flat out in top gear, no effort required, Bus Stop is gone. It's not the track it once was IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

but even Spa is not as good as it was a few years ago. Classic corners are now just flat out in top gear, no effort required, Bus Stop is gone. It's not the track it once was IMO

agree, even eau rouge these days looks easy for the cars to full pelt whereas before that was a corner which separated the men from the boys. likewise the bus stop chicance, old one, provided opportunities for overtaking for those brave enough like schumi against damon in the 1998 belgian gp

Maybe some people would be happier with a calender full of Bahrains? You can't win with some people, impossible to keep them happy.

On low fuel some of the corners are now flat-out but they won't be in the race. They've been like that well over 15 years, I remember Villeneuve commenting on it when he first went there so it's not a new thing.
    I preferred the bus-stop to the current chicane but that's just because I like odd little layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Even worse when you compare it to the pre 80's configuration. That track was epic to drive in Grand Prix Legends.

Even worse when you compare it to the pre 80's configuration. That track was epic to drive in Grand Prix Legends.

Great track on GPL, very fast.

Spa-Francorchamps%201957.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great track on GPL, very fast.

Spa-Francorchamps%201957.gif

I wish they'd make this for Forza. I'd spend all day trying to take Masta flat in a Volvo 240!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Its not far off in all fairness, the bus stop in my opinion.
    I always liked the old bus stop chicane, it was a rare case of a chicane actually providing a challenge for the drivers. Coming flat out from Blanchimont and then having to brake hard at the precise moment, then a quick flick left and right. It was like threading the eye of a needle.

Only three days to FP1, thank the lord. And its a BBC covered race correct? Oh this weekend shall rock, hard. Five bloody weeks its been :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

EnterNow wrote: »
    Only three days to FP1, thank the lord. And its a BBC covered race correct? Oh this weekend shall rock, hard. Five bloody weeks its been :mad::D

Can't wait..
    It was like the winter break ..
    Fingers crossed for Kimi and Lotus for their first win this weekend..

vectra wrote: »
    Can't wait..
    It was like the winter break ..
    Fingers crossed for Kimi and Lotus for their first win this weekend..

yeah i think kimi will be close especially since he won there last. kimi should have won bahrain gp so he has a chance to correct that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Weather at Spa for the weekend is unsettled, I do love a wet race in Belgium.

Gintonious wrote: »

thats great to hear, hoping schumi gets a good results. it will mean a really unpredictable race, with lots of overtaking

Damn, doesn't help the Lotuses.

Just showing 1mm drizzle Friday morning.. Cloudy but dry thereafter

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Spa/forecasts/latest
    GO ON KIMI YA GOOD THING..!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Just showing 1mm drizzle Friday morning.. Cloudy but dry thereafter

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Spa/forecasts/latest
    GO ON KIMI YA GOOD THING..!! :pac:

Somehow I see Vettel vs Kimi battle this sunday IF the weather is not too cold and Lotus works as designed

• Advertisement

freestyla wrote: »
    Somehow I see Vettel vs Kimi battle this sunday IF the weather is not too cold and Lotus works as designed

Hopefully with Vettel ending up facing the wrong way minus a wheel, while Kimi sails to victory

Even just a dry qualifying wouldn't be too bad, initial pace seems to be an even bigger issue for Lotus in the wet. It'd be nice to have a proper five-way fight for the title but I can see Webber falling back and just have to hope Alonso slows down a little :pac:

I do find it interesting that Kimi is referred to as the king at Spa, when clearly it's Michael.

Although I do think Kimi has a better chance this weekend than Michael. Either way would love to see the king on the top step for his 300th GP.

I do find it interesting that Kimi is referred to as the king at Spa, when clearly it's Michael.

Although I do think Kimi has a better chance this weekend than Michael. Either way would love to see the king on the top step for his 300th GP.

I would love to see Schumi on the top step too. If he doesn't make it to the top step, it still would be great to see him on the second or third step.

It will all depend on how the Merc performs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Has Michael beaten Kimi around Spa since 2002? Nope! That's why Kimi is King of Spa!

ottostreet wrote: »
    Has Michael beaten Kimi around Spa since 2002? Nope! That's why Kimi is King of Spa!

Has Kimi won at Spa 6 times? Nope! That is why Michael is the King of Spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

_smaller.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

well it cant be anymore boring than the rest of the season

Has Kimi won at Spa 6 times? Nope! That is why Michael is the King of Spa.
    Don't worry, Kimi will be 5 times winner next Sunday :D

• Advertisement

Don't worry, Kimi will be 5 times winner next Sunday :D

Still won't be a 6 time winner, will he?

Advertisement