Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla Web Design Course

• 02-04-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I know it sounds a bit vague but I would like to specialize in designing websites in Joomla only and was wondering are there courses specific to this that will also introduce me to css & html* etc (*have some css & html knowledge)

Thanks in advance
    Shanley.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

joomla is a content management system (cms),you dont need css or html to edit your site,thats the whole point in it!if you wanna learn html/css w3schools.com/is the best for beginners,plent there to keep you busy for months. download notepad++ and just keep practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

dysfunktional I would edit that post pronto.

OP, there are bound to be some books around the place that would be more useful than a course.

You can always post in the community forums, they may point you in the right direction too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dysfunktional

nellyshark wrote: »
    dysfunktional I would edit that post pronto.

Why should i edit my post???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'll leave you to guess based on what I have removed and a good read of the charter and stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

There are very strict rules in place re warez or anything of that nature on this forum. If you want to risk it, fine, just a heads up :)

Edit Just saw A_W has dealt with the issue, cant say I didn't warn you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Theres a brilliant tutorial on Lynda.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

That's a tough ask, I doubt you'll find it.

This course might be suitable for getting your HTMl & CSS up to speed, as well as helping with overall knowledge of how to approach web projects.
    http://www.madartstudio.com/?p=125

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They don't really do all that many Joomla courses, you don't need one though.
    A good grounding in HTML and CSS will see you able to do allot with changing templates. To make templates you'll need some PHP, although there are blank templates out there to start from.

Joomla is a community based project, the easiest way to learn is to get a few books and follow the community, there's bound to be someone out there doing the same things you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Joomla (and most other CMS) are comprised of 4 main ingredients...
    • PHP
    • MySQL
    • HTML
    • CSS

Then add javascript, jquery, mootools, etc to the list.

You do not need to be an expert in any of them to be competent in Joomla but it certainly helps to have a grasp of each of them. I would say a course in PHP is far more valuable than a course in Joomla (and far easier to find also).

Joomla Books: http://www.packtpub.com/books/joomla!
    Getting started: http://docs.joomla.org/Main_Page

Advertisement