Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE technical info broadcasts - 1983 on Youtube

• 18-03-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭

very interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Fb9Zqg44o

A technical bulletin for the TV trade with various RTE radio and TV transmission news items starting at '11:30 Tuesday' on a date in 1983 accompanied by relevant still pictures!
    Though news of an increase in coverage of Spur Hill UHF transposer (which used to be on channels 29 and 33) is accompanied by a picture of the town of Cobh - which I know it never covered!

when did these ' TV trade' news broadcasts come to an end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Nice spot !:) That really brings me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I think they came to an end when the teletext service 'Aertel' started. I do not know when that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

OMG... WOW and other TLA's cannot express the wonderment of seeing this again!! :)

1986 for Aertel, but I cannot give a firm year when Tech Info disappeared off screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cmylod

Very much a radio programme with static pictures, isn't it!

This text is what the voice man is reading out.
    Here's a photo vaguely related to a location mentioned.

When did Kippure drop the Band III (or "111"!) extension ch. J?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

cmylod wrote: »
    Very much a radio programme with static pictures, isn't it!

This text is what the voice man is reading out.

A lot of adverts on RTE prior to about 1990 used the same format (for a long time it appeared to be two live announcers on each adbreak)
    When did Kippure drop the Band III (or "111"!) extension ch. J?
    Late eighties/early nineties RTE1 moved down to channel E and RTE2 inherited channel H. Why they didnt do this from the outset is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A lot of adverts on RTE prior to about 1990 used the same format

I rememeber UTV back then having adverts like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Loved the bits about Maghera FM's (or rather "VHF/FM's") being on reduced power because they couldnt get spare parts for the TX and how "illegal broadcast stations" (and to a lesser extent "radio telephones" -whatever they were) were apparently the source of all evil.

How quaint :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Great piece of nostalgia!

You have to love them playing out to the theme tune of The Pink Panther!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Late eighties/early nineties RTE1 moved down to channel E and RTE2 inherited channel H. Why they didnt do this from the outset is beyond me.

Maybe Channel E couldnt be used prior to the mid 1980's because of cochannel UK 405 line transmitters ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Maybe Channel E couldnt be used prior to the mid 1980's because of cochannel UK 405 line transmitters ?

There certainly would have been overlap with ch. 7 (St. Hilary), & ch. 8 (Strabane, Preseli).

• Advertisement
Advertisement