Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on the Increased Role of the Gardai in Love/Hate

• 13-10-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Do people believe that the more active role of the Gardai since last season has added to the show or regressed it a little?

Firstly I think Brian O'Byrne is a fantastic actor but I always come away disappointed when the guards get in the way of what will be an exciting scene.

Of course it has to be realistic and occasionally these guys get caught but it seems like the guards are becoming as big players in the show as Nidge and Fran.

Last season was a disaster and in my opinion the increased role given to Gardai in the show was a large part of why.

Opinions?

Do you think the increased Garda presence has added to L/H? 15 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Putinovsky wrote: »
    I always come away disappointed when the guards get in the way of what will be an exciting scene.

You mean Gardai doing what Gardai do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You mean Gardai doing what Gardai do ?

Yes. I just feel the show is giving too much time to the actual police. The most interesting part about the show is that it focuses on and gives insight to the criminal underworld something that most are not privy too. At the moment it seems to actually be turning into a Police show.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two episodes in .

Don't see any problems so far can't be all one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Gatling wrote: »
    Two episodes in .

Don't see any problems so far can't be all one sided

Did you watch last season? The entire season was almost dedicated to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The depiction is fine. They're understaffed. Some are dedicated. Some are timeservers. Nobody high up really gives a monkeys about low level gang crap. Interest is only displayed when the mention of the Christy Kinehan character connection comes up. A result there could involve promotions and good media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think he wants the show to be more dimensional then just seeing things through the criminals viewpoint. I like that, not that I necessarily think the execution has been outstanding, but he obviously takes a lot of influence from shows like The Wire who managed to balance the two very well.

There is only so much material about the gang, to have a fully fleshed story the nemesis needs to be detailed also. They could improve it sure, but I do applaud them for trying it. They are hitting the main points well regarding, interest, staffing, budgets etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My main problem with the garda characters is they just aren't as intense as the 'bad guys'. It might be more realistic that way but for me it just makes their scenes feel on a lower level to the rest of whats going on. The exception being the bald garda but they dont seem to focus on him so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Did you watch last season? The entire season was almost dedicated to the guards.

No it wasn't, that's just silly. I just posted on this in the other thread. I like it and I think it has added to the show. Brian F O'Byrne is very good, and I think the real life Garda is also very good. (I think the third main Garda in the show is also an ex member ?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Because last season was so Gardai heavy it feels like I know the characters when they're on screen now. Last night's episode just worked so well on many levels, the Gardai stuff included (except the shooting of Fran's windscreen, it just wouldnt be done by a guard in reality).

Brian O'Byrne is one of my three favourite things about the show at the moment, along with Patrick and Franno. A brilliant actor. Watch his performances talking to Tommy in the car last year and Siobhan this year, he has way of using little nuances to great effect.

The lad with the line of the show last night: "I like Fran. He's a mad bastard" is also growing on me.

I don't think it adds anything to the show, its grand to show a bit of background gardai but we don't really need to see the in and out working of the guards in a crime show.
    I think its just too difficult to try and show both sides in one show, a crime show should show Crime, a cop/police show should show that side.

I just think its too much in a short series to try and get in depth with both sides.
    Show the guards, but we don't need to know them, or what they are thinking/working at.

We REALLY don't need to know their personal lives! I don't care if the cigs wife doesn't care about his job! Snore snore........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They are trying to show in the Guards as the yang to the ying, and it's not working at all. You can see it a mile off, even now with the scenes in the "gaffers" home. The seasons arnt long enough to do it justice, so I don't like how they are getting so much airtime, and it disrupts things.

Also have to admit I think the Guardai acting is pretty poor overall

TheDoc wrote: »

Also have to admit I think the Guardai acting is pretty poor overall

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

I think he's pretty bad in Love Hate, all the Guards seem very false to me. The dialogue just sounds like it's being read straight of a sheet.

Packoman wrote: »
    I think he's pretty bad in Love Hate

:eek:

Brían F. O'Byrne and Fran are the two best things about the show

Advertisement