Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Times get tough

• 17-05-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

(Firstly, I just want to apologise if I am posting this in the wrong thread as never done this before)

I am just hoping for a bit of advice and direction.

Currently, like most people, I'm struggling to make ends meet. I have worked constantly since I finished college (fetac 5+6) and it just seems that my wages don't stretch far enough these days.

I have debt from putting myself through college and I contacted mabs as I am behind on my rent and loan. I was off work for nearly three weeks because I was sick.

Mabs advised me to contact Saint Vincent de Paul, I've now put in for a visit from them. I am just wondering what happens on this visit? Has anyone been through a similar situation?

I feel bad for even contacting SVP as I believe that I am working and there are people worse off than me but Its getting to the point where I don't know will I have food in two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experiences you would like to share.

:)

Asmilehelps

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Moved from Humanities to Personal Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Hi OP

I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

Would it be possible for you to live with family until the debt is cleared?

The vincent de paul will send out two volunteers they will assess your home situation talk with you look at finances ask about you and assess what help they can give you. Sometimes that is groceries or financial, it can be money for fuel for heating or some second hand clothing or furniture. They are trained to recognize and assess situations.

The visit is to help build a relationship between you and them. If they feel other services can help you better or along with they won't drop you they will see you through with them. They might help you fill out forms or go with you to visit other organizations and advocate for you.

You sound like such a sweet person with such a great attitude.

Please don't feel guilty for asking for help when you need it. And they can help you with food etc.

You seem like the type of person who is ready to help anyone. So why feel bad and not ask for help? And also you didn't ask to be sick.

I like you had student debt. I cleared my student debt after college but I was living at home at the time. It must be so scary for you. I think having the visit from the Vin De Paul will be good in that way they can give emotional support and peace of mind..

I think the loan being cleared would be easier if you stayed with family is that at all possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

don't feel guilty for asking for help.
    the st v de p are there to help those who really need it and are great. growing up, my dad was a member of our town's st v de p and while individuals were never mentioned in our home due to respect for them, he certainly felt blessed and very lucky to help those who needed it.

if you find that you can't catch up with the rent etc, would moving home be an option for a while?

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Asmilehelps

Hi OP

I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

Would it be possible for you to live with family until the debt is cleared?

The vincent de paul will send out two volunteers they will assess your home situation talk with you look at finances ask about you and assess what help they can give you. Sometimes that is groceries or financial, it can be money for fuel for heating or some second hand clothing or furniture. They are trained to recognize and assess situations.

The visit is to help build a relationship between you and them. If they feel other services can help you better or along with they won't drop you they will see you through with them. They might help you fill out forms or go with you to visit other organizations and advocate for you.

You sound like such a sweet person with such a great attitude.

Please don't feel guilty for asking for help when you need it. And they can help you with food etc.

You seem like the type of person who is ready to help anyone. So why feel bad and not ask for help? And also you didn't ask to be sick.

I like you had student debt. I cleared my student debt after college but I was living at home at the time. It must be so scary for you. I think having the visit from the Vin De Paul will be good in that way they can give emotional support and peace of mind..

I think the loan being cleared would be easier if you stayed with family is that at all possible??

Thank you for your kind words, it would be great to move home but I don't drive and home is about an hours drive from work and with shifts, public transport is not an option either. I did try and ask work could I change my hours for a couple of months but they wouldn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Asmilehelps

don't feel guilty for asking for help.
    the st v de p are there to help those who really need it and are great. growing up, my dad was a member of our town's st v de p and while individuals were never mentioned in our home due to respect for them, he certainly felt blessed and very lucky to help those who needed it.

if you find that you can't catch up with the rent etc, would moving home be an option for a while?

best of luck

Thank you also for the kind words, it's great to actually know someone that had a direct link to svp. No moving home isn't an option in my case at the moment. I don't feel as guilty asking for help now that I've heard from some people. I thought I might even be able to volunteer with them, to give back to others and to SVP for they help they may be able to give me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Thank you for your kind words, it would be great to move home but I don't drive and home is about an hours drive from work and with shifts, public transport is not an option either. I did try and ask work could I change my hours for a couple of months but they wouldn't allow it
    I am so sorry to hear that.:( But don't feel bad asking for help or anything. You deserve help. You will make a great volunteer by the way. I have done a little. You sound like a wonderful person I really hope things get better for you. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brokenhearted

Hi there, I went through something very similar with a mortgage and a lot of debt as was out of work for quite a while, getting back on my feet was really tough. In the end I went to my local relieving officer, I ended up getting some help with my mortgage and it was great, it wasn't a lot but a huge help to me. Maybe you could check with citizens advice if this could be possible for you? Could you check and she if there is any payment protection on your student loan that you could claim on?

It is tough, always ask for help it always make you feel like you are in control and I can say 5 years ago I didn;t see a way out, but I am now managing, and from here will only get better x x

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Is there a possibility of re-financing the student loan, ie going to your bank and seeing if you can borrow it over a longer period to reduce the monthly payment?

I know it would mean you're paying it back for longer and probably with more interest but it might help you to get on your feet a little over the next year or so.

I know it's easier said than done but would you be able to get a job closer to your parents?
    What is your living situation at the moment, are you living alone or house sharing?
    Sorry if I sound terribly nosey, would just like to try and give some good suggestions to you as you sound so nice, so I'm just looking for more info :)

Advertisement