Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using UPC for Saorview possible?

Options
  • 28-03-2015 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this has been asked a few times, but after googling and looking at the boards threads I haven't seen a direct answer to this.

We had UPC but since moved to Sky. I was disappointed to realise Sky doesnt have RTE1 HD and a few other Irish HDs and Plus 1s.

So I was considering the idea of using Saorview by buying an indoor aerial and trying it out (we dont have an outdoor aerial installed), but Im pretty sure our TV isnt approved for it ( I referred to this approved list). And I dont fancy buying a set top box , €70 seems to be the cheapest one.

Anyway, we still have the UPC outlet and box. I had heard that a friend of a friend (literally) used their UPC box to get saorview channels?

Have any of you heard of this? And if so would you know how to go about doing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Some non-approved TVs have the necessary tuner/decoder (DVB-T/MPEG-4), check the TV's manual for the specs.

A number of digital channels are carried unencrypted on cable, this might be the reason they're still available on your friend's box. What channels do they continue to receive?

The problem there is the cable could be disconnected at any time if you no longer subscribe to any UPC service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Thanks The Cush, I did a bit of googling after you mentioning the tuner/decoder and it seems my TV might be good... http://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ps50a556s2f/specs

I might just buy an aerial in Maplin and give it a go anyway.

As for the people who get those channels via UPC , unfortunately I dont know them and as far as I know they've even moved out of that house so Im stuck for getting any more info on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

yes it seems you have the correct tuner in tv,question is powered or non powered indoor aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Where are you located? If you're close to a transmitter then chances are you'll be able to use a bog standard pair of rabbit ears or even a coat hanger to test out whether your tv will work or not, before blowing a bunch of money on a 'digital' aerial in Maplin.

I went and bought a powered aerial in Maplin (with the intention of returning it if it didnt work), but for some reason i couldnt pick up anything. When going to scan for digital channels on the TV I could only select from 8 countries, Ireland not being one of them, there was an "other countries" section too which I tried. It picked up services alright, but when I went to look at them they were just blank screens or an indication on the TV that there was supposed to be sound ( a picture of a speaker).

Having looked at the Samsung manual for that TV it says it cant guarantee normal operation for countries other than those 8.

Either I got the wrong aerial or my TV just cant pick up locally (digitally). I can get a refund on the Aerial anyway.

Im located very near limerick city centre, about a half a mile away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Saorview is currently carrying a pile of 'test' services, for whatever reason: did you go through everything?

The actual TV & radio channels should be in there somewhere.

You were right, I checked again and they were there! Was getting my hopes up only to get a big "hd not supported" message on my TV for the non radio channels . So I can listen but not watch :(

Thanks for the help

Yeah, it's a 2008 model TV, so probably pushing it a bit WRT the necessary video decoding ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i would have thought been mpeg4 possibility was there in picking them up,the aerial was powered on yes? was it a freeview labelled tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zig wrote: »

That TV's full model no. is PS50A556S2FXXC.

What is the full model no. of your TV including all the letters at the end of the model no.? I believe UK/Ireland models end in the letter U. Also IIRC Samsung models sold here from about 2009 had an MPEG-4 decoder.

France and Italy have used MPEG-4 decoding prior to this so it might be worth checking these setup countries if you haven't already done so.

A "hd not supported" message does appear to indicate a TV with an MPEG-2 decoder only.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    ... the aerial was powered on yes?

Nothing to do with the aerial: the channels are being tuned in, but not showing picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Thurston? wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the aerial: the channels are being tuned in, but not showing picture.

Yeah, sounds as though it's a Freeview TV, not Freeview HD. I have the same thing with my second TV, gets the sound (and the radio stations that come via Saorview) but no picture.

A €25 DVB decoder box will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The aerial is in fact actually analogue.

"Digital" or "HD" aerials is dishonest advertising. Proper TV aerials are UHF and appropriate group. I've even seen a VHF aerial advertised as HD Digital. TV currently doesn't use VHF at all!

Many (all?) Irish retailers were of course selling Freeview TVs when it was 100% known that MPEG4 would be used and MPEG4 sets were available. Without any warning!
    Right up after ASO! DURING the official pre ASO Digital period.

Really they should have stopped at least 2 years before ASO, or even 2 years before Digital launch.
    Sale of Goods Act is SIX Years. So if your TV was sold without a warning after 2009, (i.e. from Jan 2010) really you are in good position for a refund.

Normal SOGA is two years minimum. But it applies UP TO six years. Many retailers dishonestly took advantage of people being on Pay TV (Sky or UPC).

Another "scam" is the meaningless "HD Ready" in UK and Ireland on TVs. Either TV can get HD via tuner and display 1080 lines (an HD TV) or it's just a Monitor. "ready" suggests upgradeable.
    Almost no TV had Tuner/Decoder upgrades.
    If a TV is 720, it can never be upgraded to HD, it simply converts real HD to 720 (or even less!). "HD Ready" is the most dishonest label ever on a TV.

The spec was known and TVs available long before 2010.

Thanks for the help everyone, having tried the other countries too and not picking up anything I brought back the aerial! Ah well!

Advertisement