Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options
  • 01-10-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭

Article in the Sunday Times
    Bond investors were told last that the launch of the service was imminent, and it would have an attractive "user interface" and recording facility. The television service is currently being trialled with 400 customers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

yea, its on field trials for a while interally in eircom and the STB user interface is supposed to be really awesome, really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh as Im curious as to how it stacks up against the new sky box and the Horizon offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

sounds very good if the prices are more or less the same as the ones they trialled in the RED C survey, it will be only 3 to 5 euro for multi-room and HD as and add-on with an extra 5 to 10 euro for additional channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Don't make me laugh, I can't even get broadband on my line here..........

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This sort of crap was tried by Smart TV out in Parkwest a number of years ago, and the only reason it survived as long as it did was that they had a monopoly there until the management company relented and let Sky in.

Hi-def TV-quality video over IP only works well on a LAN supporting multicast, sending that over your broadband connection is asking for trouble.

well Eircom seem to be very confident it will work, otherwise they wouldnt be spending millions on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Red Alert wrote: »

Hi-def TV-quality video over IP only works well on a LAN supporting multicast, sending that over your broadband connection is asking for trouble.

Necessary faster :

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/japan-launches-worlds-fastest-home-internet-20130416-2hxge.html

37 euro a month for 2gigabit - they're being robbed though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It'll run over the e-fibre network which supports multicast.

Also, this is nearly a decade later than Smart Telecom's attempts at it. Technology has moved on a LOT since then.

The public information about the project says eircom are installing Huawei MSAN lite MA5600T in those cabinets. ( http://knnetworkservices.com/projects/telecoms/fixed/eircom-nga-super-fast-fibre-broadband/ )

Specs:
    http://www.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-access/fttx/olt/ma5600t/index.htm

Have a read through. It has a LOT of IPTV related features.

There are over 1000 of those units being deployed in the current rollout. So they'll be bringing the network very close to the end users. Assuming the DSLAM has dedicated bandwidth for IPTV, it will run very nicely indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not the same technology as Smart.
    But still a problem if you are more than 100m from cabinet and want more than one or two TVs.
    Also 92% of what subscription TV viewers watch is free content! So unless you made of money or really want Sky Sports, Saorview + Freesat is much cheaper and for 4 to 1000+ rooms the only sensible solution. You really don't need pay TV in more than a couple of rooms unless you are a Hotel, Prison, Hospital or Guest House offering Sky Sport (and that will seriously cost you!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The more options the better in my opinion.
    At least it puts it up to UPC and Sky.

I'll wait and see before I make any pronouncements on the technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/eircom-launches-tv-service-in-direct-challenge-to-sky-and-upc-29665613.html
    The new service, called ‘eVision’, will offer two basic packages, with 34 and 54 channels, respectively.

Incremental services will offer premium stations such as Sky Sports and Sky Movies. The service will come with a free set-top box, which will be capable of ‘pausing’ live television and storing up to 240 hours of television content.

The packages are aimed at Eircom customers, who will be charged €10 per month in addition to existing Eircom bill. Non-Eircom customers will need to sign up for a landline to avail of the service.

no itv or sky news? looks like they are having the same issue as sky did with TV3 blocking them if one is to speculate. I think i will stick to my 200 FTA channels (granted only 4 in HD) and recordable including ITV HD. that beats TV3 SD any day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's a decent alternative to UPC or put another way if you don't have UPC in your area its an alternative to SKY but of course you need to have proper fibre connection for it to be viable and one supposes most of them are in areas covered by UPC. Still cheaper though depends on the channels, until you see the list its hard to be certain isn't it?

https://secure.eircom.net/apps/tv/eoi.jsp

that's poor....TV link on their website is down, and on the day of an announcement like this!

Anyone got an idea of how much this would cost (incl line rental) v's UPC and Sky for a basic pacake

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

What about us rural customers with 2MB download speed (on a good day).
    We are paying top dollar but have a sh$%*e service.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭mollser

Jeekers, there's a rake of channels on there that upc don't have, particularly noticeably fox and comedy hd, and the eden/reality etc group of channels.

Attractive for the money, fair play eircom.

RogerThis wrote: »

Does'nt look much cheaper when I see what they have from that link

€16 for the 54 channels
    €5 for a few HD channels
    €29 for just sky sports 1 + 2
    = €50 + line rental/broadband which is €30?+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm,

No SKY channels in either of the cheapest packages is not much to shout about if they want to go to war with UPC - the cheapest UPC quad play bundle looks rather better value at 50 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

mollser wrote: »
    Jeekers, there's a rake of channels on there that upc don't have, particularly noticeably fox and comedy hd, and the eden/reality etc group of channels.

Attractive for the money, fair play eircom.

Fox is on UPC C 126

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No Sky News...a deal breaker for me. I know it's not much good but it's my default vegging out in front of the tv channel when there's nothing else on.
    No UTV/ITV option either.

Otherwise it seems good. I wonder who'll beat them with this offer now.

13 channels for 10 euro a month. the rest are all free to air and unlike satellite if you cancel you wont get to see any of the free to air channels. however even at 16 euro its still 11euro cheaper than skys basic package and HD is only 5euro extra making it 21 euro compared to 42euro with sky for the cheapest HD offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

Just noticed the Sky Sports package. This just includes Sky Sports 1 & 2. Where's the other channels? (Sky Sport 3,4, news & Extra). The Sky News & UTV option would really turn me away from it. Also the remote looks like it's straight from the 1980's. I'll be staying with UPC. Eircom should have invested their cash in improving their network rather than launch a service which is the same as what the competition is offering. Five years too late Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Wow I would get HD and Multiroom as well for less than what I am paying Sky & Bt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Gmol wrote: »
    Wow I would get HD and Multiroom as well for less than what I am paying Sky & Bt.

as peopel talking about the budget have been saying ad-naseum "the devil is in the details"

quick comparision for me anyways(full price excluding gimmicky special offers)
    sky broadbconnect lite up to 24mb plus offpeak calls 40euro per month add sky basic pack 27 euro = 67euro add hd for 15 euro with multiroom 15 euro =97euro
    eircom efibre advanced 50mb 45euro plus eircom tv at 16 euro is 61 euro. add HD and Multi-room is 71 euro. that saves 6euro to 28euro per month.

I cant get UPC so no comparision with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Apparently the Sports channels are not HD. I am not sure about the movies.
    Adrian Weckler ‏@adrianweckler 1h
    Just got Eircom TV demo. Nice, fast EPG. Lack of HD for sports channels, though. Positioned as 'value' offering to buttress broadband, phone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The pricing for the basic service is very good value.

But the lack of a deal with BSkyB for their basic channels (though it's a long time since Sky One or Sky News were a "must" for me) or for Sky Sports 3&4 would put me off (although Sky has undertaken to Ofcom that all Premier League will be on Sky Sports 1&2, that doesn't apply to anything else).

They have got BT Sport from the off at the same pricing as UPC

to be honest sky 1 and sky news are not missed much these days with BBC news a very good replacement for Sky news. UTV and ITV2-4 are a big miss that they probably wont sort out in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

7upfree wrote: »
    Fox is on UPC Ch 126

But Fox HD isn't on UPC

Advertisement