Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

This is probably more a Boards question but does anyone know how I can unsubscribe from a thread which I know I also unsubscribed from??? There is no bell to click just a little tab. I've clicked the thing several times and I know I'm unsubscribed but I'm still getting the notifications of new posts! Its the Newstalk Megathread. 😕 And its infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm getting the same with some threads on the Christmas forum. No known fix, as of yet, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Found it, at last! You need to go to this page https://www.boards.ie/discussions/ and unclick the stars from there specifically.

You may have to switch to mobile "mode" to see it properly.

Finally found the thread on the 17th page there. What does 'mobile mode' mean, I don't use my mobile for internet stuff, I only use the desktop computer.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to change certain setting when logged in from my phone, and not from the computer, nor from the mobile with "desktop mode" (in the browser settings) switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed JB, I use my phone as little as possible - just for making phone calls and sending texts - I much prefer to use the laptop.

I hate being tied to the mobile. The computer is much more comfortable for me. Hope this site improves soon, can't believe this changeover has created so many problems. Often wonder if those doing the changeover really knew anything about Boards at all as so many things have been mucked up! We wait in hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Don't wait in hope Jb1 we are going to have to teach them - that's our only way out of the situation they landed us in - as far as I can reckon!

So how do we silver surfers teach splash pool toddlers how to surf? /wink wink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I switched on my computer at 658 and only now can I use it. It took all that time to 'warm up the valves'. It is getting worse over the past few months and occasionally locks up. I run CCleaner regularly but it really does not sort the problem. I tried CTRL ALT Delete but nothing stands out as using a lot of data. My daughter says it is time to change the computer, which is not a problem but I would hate to scrap something that might be fixed. I reboot regularly during the day but it locks up eventually. The computer is a desktop and two tbytes of storage. I run Chrome and excel mainly.

Can you help please? Any suggestions would be most helpful as it is very frustrating waiting to start or restart.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Install a cheap Solid State Disk (SSD) and put your OS and applications on that. Also, more RAM would probably help too.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you Esel. I will say it to the daughter. If it will sort it out I will be a very happy old codger.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Is there any cleanup program on the net I might try first please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Try defragmenting you hard drive.

I'll do that now. thank you for the suggestion.

So i tried a de-frag but it said it does that regularly. There was another option, something about location/s which I clicked and it went through with a search and it made a great difference, happy days. Computer is much faster now and so far no lock-ups. Thank you both for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have a collection of whatsapp videos and photos that I would love to have in one long segment.... is there a DIY way of doing this? I have not done any video editing before. I would like to have a copy of these items also in case phone 'dies' or is stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

One long segment?

• Advertisement

I have some several video clips of seconds long and one of 3 minutes and thought be nice to put all together with photographs interspersed in one piece. The clip of three minutes is too big to 'share' via gmail for example. Auld one here! want some simple way of doing this, nothing fancy!

Hi Garlinge - what device are you hoping to do this video project on? phone , pad or computer? its is always easier to edit video on a computer but it's not impossible on other devices, and maybe there is a free app for it? Depends on what type of phone you have - mac, samsung, whatever make n model!

Your 3 minute clip - well if you put it on a site - such as youtube - then 3 minute vid is no problem - just link the video to your post on whats app or facebook or an email.

I would be using a laptop. I have whatsapp on it as well, browser version. Phone is a samsung. Must have a go at youtube as way of preserving and sharing the longer clip. Lots of photos on a tablet/laptop as well as whatsapp photos.

I'm guessing that your laptop runs on Windows.

You might have windows movie maker on your laptop? (It depends what version of windows you have, newer versions of windows don't have it and recommend not to download free versions .)

Newer versions of windows use a new app https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-films-with-video-editor-94e651f8-a5be-ae03-3c50-e49f013d47f6

You could also try free online video editors such as

adobe spark or moviemaker online

There are loads of online tutorials - this is one on

adobe spark

I had a moment of insanity today and bought a Mi Smart Band 5 in Lidl. The 'manual' is laughable as there is more information about recycling and warranty than there is actually explaining this gadget. So I asked Youtube and watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQNITTt8VDY. I can't believe anyone actually can speak this fast with so much information. Suffice to say I did actually download the App. I believe I did open an account. I have not been successful in pairing the yoke with my phone mainly because I usually only use my phone for calls and texts so using the internet on it is mystifying! After several tries to pair the two it tells me to make sure it is charged up!! Damn, why didn't it say that on page one!!!! Anyway I had no clue how to charge it, loike, where do I plug the other end? Decided it will charge with the computer and it seems to be charging up now. But what does this yoke do? Anybody know? Stop laughing you at the back!!

I think it's a "body monitor" with some access to your smartphone. I can't help you much with how to use it, but if you need to listen to the video again, if you click here

you can change the speed of the video.

Thanks New Home. I'll go through that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

This FXSAPIDebugLogFile file has appeared in temp files and I cannot delete it. It says it is open in Windows Explorer. I am using Wins 10.

Does anyone know how I can delete it? It is there for over a week.

• Advertisement

It's a log file for Windows Fax & Scan.... so I guess you have that enabled.

You cannot delete it until that setting is turned off.

Rough path to Setting (Probably changes slightly in every version of Windows)

Control Panel > Programs/Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off> Print & Document Services/Fax and Scan

If checked/enabled then turn off.

You'll probably need to reboot before you can delete the file - and all the above is assuming you do not use Windows Fax/Scan.

Advertisement