Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Magnet Networks

• 04-01-2006 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Im thinking deeply into to signing up for these, Eircom is too expensive and the broadband is alright, but i want faster.

I was thinking of gettin the 4mb link. These are very affordable but they arent in my area yet, has anyone signed up with them yet?

www.magnet.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tones_ie

Not yet....but like u very intrested...rang em up and was told my exchange wont be ready for 9 months..(Belcamp) good ould eircom..ehh :P

But yea...there 4 mb line looks nice....Ohh well.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I can't get copper wire ADSL at all.
    About 8km from end of Chorus/NTL cable network.
    So I got Digiweb Metro. The 3M down and 0.5M up seems genuine. Includes a real phone connection (not just Skype, but dedicated wireless bandwidth) that you can transfer existing number to so I will be saving 27 Euro a month by ditching Eircom soon.

It's a kind of DOCSIS Digital Cable system converted over Metro Protocol 5Mbits duplex 10GHz wireless. I'm 12.5km out from base station. In theory they can run several digital TV channels over it also, though it isn't clear if they ever will.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

watty wrote:
    It's a kind of DOCSIS Digital Cable system converted over Metro Protocol 5Mbits duplex 10GHz wireless. I'm 12.5km out from base station. In theory they can run several digital TV channels over it also, though it isn't clear if they ever will.

Digiweb engineers say they will in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 linky

i have just connected to magnet using LLU. I live 2kms from my exchange and my line has tested to 20 megs. That being said I have had my problems with Magnet. To start with i could only get one tv working properly as they only tuned my line to 8 megs. After alot of phone calls i managed to get an engineer out to the house to check the system. They retuned the line to 12 megs. This solved some but not all of my problems. The 2wire modem does not work properly its wireless connection kept on breaking down and losing the connection. We eventually got around by installing a wireless adapter. If anybody else needs information let me know as I have been through most of the problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

linky wrote:
    i have just connected to magnet using LLU. I live 2kms from my exchange and my line has tested to 20 megs. That being said I have had my problems with Magnet. To start with i could only get one tv working properly as they only tuned my line to 8 megs. After alot of phone calls i managed to get an engineer out to the house to check the system. They retuned the line to 12 megs. This solved some but not all of my problems. The 2wire modem does not work properly its wireless connection kept on breaking down and losing the connection. We eventually got around by installing a wireless adapter. If anybody else needs information let me know as I have been through most of the problems

Don't Magnet say on the end of the ads/flyers that the performance of the BB and TV is entirely dependent on the performance of your phone line......so they have an out if needs be?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IMO, Magent should only be allowed to advertise their Broadband/Phone package as is. The TV service is NOT broadcast TV as ANYONE would understand it. It is simply a video streaming service. Delivers poor quality, single screen viewing and limited channels and eats into BB speed.

Their so called Digital TV service damages the market place for all the providers of a true digital TV service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote:
    IMO, Magent should only be allowed to advertise their Broadband/Phone package as is. The TV service is NOT broadcast TV as ANYONE would understand it. It is simply a video streaming service. Delivers poor quality, single screen viewing and limited channels and eats into BB speed.

Their so called Digital TV service damages the market place for all the providers of a true digital TV service.

Ouch! Didn't realise it was THAT bad Watty.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

I just signed up to magnet

it was explained that I was close enough to the nutley exchange to get about 12 or 14 meg so there is enough bandwidth there for the phone and tv not to eat into my 8 meg broadband

I get 2 set top tv boxes which connect up by ethernet cables and I am told that I can get video on demand for free

So far all this is a promise so I will report back in a few weeks when its all up and running

i have to get esat to hand back the phone line to eircom and then magnet can take it over from eircom

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Onthebus wrote:
    it was explained that I was close enough to the nutley exchange to get about 12 or 14 meg so there is enough bandwidth there for the phone and tv not to eat into my 8 meg broadband

I get 2 set top tv boxes which connect up by ethernet cables and I am told that I can get video on demand for free

Each set top box will use about 4Mbit/s, so a total of 8Mbit/s. That will leave you with about 4 - 6 MBit/s.

Let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 linky

Hi watch out for the quality of the phone line as I find it gets worse after 18.00 each evening and returns at about 20.00. As you can see its right in the middle of high network demand that this happens. Also magnet can get the fax to work over VOIP as long as you have an ATA. I have some questions about how they will connect to Sky as they require a phone line. That being said I have ordered movies over the Sky system with no problems and the indicator on the front panel of the Sky box had been indicating that they have made contact with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Onthebus

Im wondering what format and resolution the tv is?

And then what might be the best computer based system to use for recording tv that magnet are supplying?

Anyone tried anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 office.ie

A note of warning Re magnet business broadband upgrading
    I have used magnet for 10 years for broadband.
    I was never happy with the deal they gave me e.g. charged me for 8mb of speed and never got past 3mb.
    I called a few times and got the staff member to agree it could be better and leave it with them,So I did and they never called back
    I mean their not going to reduce the price unless I stick with ringing them .
    So I got busy in work and let it slide.
    The company next door told me they got upgraded to fibre from Eircom ,Great news so we have it available in our small estate.
    No silly me I rang magnet and they assured me it was not available,all the while I am looking at my neighbors connection and receipts from Eircom.
    Magnet said I will put you on the special special list as soon as its available we will be on to you like lightning.
    Months later which was 2 weeks ago I called them ,they confirmed it was available and I asked to speak to the sales manager to discuss the fees and some form of deal as I had not got what I paid for over the last 10 years .
    He's to busy to speak to little old me .I decided to explain it to the guy on the line he assured me he could sort it out so I agreed to an upgrade saving me 5 euros a month for over 100mb of speed ,it will only take 40 /60 minutes of down time no problem I said.
    And now began the 40 minutes.
    1. 2.00pm Wednesday kn networks called and checked the line, he installed the modem despite telling me he was not suppose to .The line worked up to the modem , but we have a firewall the KN guy said this needs to be bridged you better call magnet.
    2 called magnet and they said I need my IT people to do some configuring.
    The net effect was because the sales guy in magnet did not know what he was selling and to whom he got it completely wrong.
    I had to put in an urgent call to my IT company they visited for a half Day €375.00 extra and said magnet have done this before.Normally they should tell the customer this and both teams can be arranged to be there giving this lovely 40/60 minute down time
    50 % of my sales come online 40 percent by email and the balance over the phone, I lost both of these from 2.00pm Wednesday till 1.00pm Thursday just 24 hours. Magnet still got it wrong a few times in between this.
    Ironically the sales guy wanted to talk about putting the phone calls over the web so we would have been 100% dead.
    Our offices have piped music radio and all I can hear in the background while this is going on is a radio ad for magnet saying .Hi I'm gordon kellett CEO of magnets blah blah buy buy buy ,well if i could have got him.
    The sales guy rang eventually and said , not sorry it never passed his lips . he said maybe he should have asked more questions about our setup.
    I will keep my phones with Eircom for now , Because if the net goes down you will have nothing .
    Also did you know that Eircom power their own lines so if the electricity goes the basic phone can still be used at the main point of entry in your premises , Your fax machine with a handset will do.keep this on its own line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

office.ie wrote: »
    A note of warning Re magnet business broadband upgrading
    I have used magnet for 10 years for broadband.
    I was never happy with the deal they gave me e.g. charged me for 8mb of speed and never got past 3mb.
    I called a few times and got the staff member to agree it could be better and leave it with them,So I did and they never called back
    I mean their not going to reduce the price unless I stick with ringing them .
    So I got busy in work and let it slide.
    The company next door told me they got upgraded to fibre from Eircom ,Great news so we have it available in our small estate.
    No silly me I rang magnet and they assured me it was not available,all the while I am looking at my neighbors connection and receipts from Eircom.
    Magnet said I will put you on the special special list as soon as its available we will be on to you like lightning.
    Months later which was 2 weeks ago I called them ,they confirmed it was available and I asked to speak to the sales manager to discuss the fees and some form of deal as I had not got what I paid for over the last 10 years .
    He's to busy to speak to little old me .I decided to explain it to the guy on the line he assured me he could sort it out so I agreed to an upgrade saving me 5 euros a month for over 100mb of speed ,it will only take 40 /60 minutes of down time no problem I said.
    And now began the 40 minutes.
    1. 2.00pm Wednesday kn networks called and checked the line, he installed the modem despite telling me he was not suppose to .The line worked up to the modem , but we have a firewall the KN guy said this needs to be bridged you better call magnet.
    2 called magnet and they said I need my IT people to do some configuring.
    The net effect was because the sales guy in magnet did not know what he was selling and to whom he got it completely wrong.
    I had to put in an urgent call to my IT company they visited for a half Day €375.00 extra and said magnet have done this before.Normally they should tell the customer this and both teams can be arranged to be there giving this lovely 40/60 minute down time
    50 % of my sales come online 40 percent by email and the balance over the phone, I lost both of these from 2.00pm Wednesday till 1.00pm Thursday just 24 hours. Magnet still got it wrong a few times in between this.
    Ironically the sales guy wanted to talk about putting the phone calls over the web so we would have been 100% dead.
    Our offices have piped music radio and all I can hear in the background while this is going on is a radio ad for magnet saying .Hi I'm gordon kellett CEO of magnets blah blah buy buy buy ,well if i could have got him.
    The sales guy rang eventually and said , not sorry it never passed his lips . he said maybe he should have asked more questions about our setup.
    I will keep my phones with Eircom for now , Because if the net goes down you will have nothing .
    Also did you know that Eircom power their own lines so if the electricity goes the basic phone can still be used at the main point of entry in your premises , Your fax machine with a handset will do.keep this on its own line.

we don't drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement