Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for us noobs who have just gotten accepted ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

deisedude wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that one of the corridors there smells like a combination of **** and toast? :eek:
    Could never quite place the scent myself.
    OP, for a start, bring stuff you know you're gonna need. You're not gonna need to bring your tv and DVD player or anything like that. If you have a laptop, do bring it, most useful thing you can have in college, IMO. If you forget something, chances are, someone will have one you can borrow. At least until you parents can send it on to you or whatever. Bit of common sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 surfandturf

Anyone else notice that one of the corridors there smells like a combination of **** and toast? :eek:

I think its more of a hospital/old people smell ... which is why i often fondly refer to it as the geriatric ward :pac:

Good thing ill be spending most of my time in the shiny new WGB ... wonder what it will smell like ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

bleg wrote: »
    Don't bother joining a club/society.

What kind of stupid narrowminded comment is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

notnormal wrote: »
    well i imagine the apts arent huge, so im just wondering what stuff ill really need to bring for myself?

and also what stuff people have brought only to have it take up waay too much space and brought home after a week?

hope thats specific enough

Bring everything you'd normally need at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Figure out the ORB asap. It's like Pan's Labyrinth.

• Advertisement

No it's not..... Coffee Dock + Exit = Sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Which socs are the best? In terms of meeting people/travel etc. Not to mention for entertainment!

ALincoln wrote: »
    Which socs are the best? In terms of meeting people/travel etc. Not to mention for entertainment!

Depends on what you can afford and where your interests lie

ALincoln wrote: »

The best societies really are the ones that match your interests/hobbies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Try debating then? Does UCC have an equivalent of say TCD Hist? Is it good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

well i imagine the apts arent huge, so im just wondering what stuff ill really need to bring for myself?

and also what stuff people have brought only to have it take up waay too much space and brought home after a week?

hope thats specific enough

Just bring your 'stuff' like. I disagree with the not bringing your tv, dvd etc. if you've no internet you'll have crap all else to do. Bring stuff to keep ya occupied. Bring whatever you'll want to bring.

Niiiiiiice image I've got in my head now deisedude!

Smells like must to me. :o

Definately! That bulding's a maze!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I brought a toasted sandwich maker yokebobby. My flatmates grew to love it as much as I did.

Just pretty much bring all the stuff you use regularly at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

Was planning on bringing my all-in-one printer scanner yokey that ive had for years, but its decided it doesnt want to connect to my laptop :mad:

fussy little bo*****s...

Is it worth buying a new (cheap!) all-in-one between myself and my friend (who I'll be living with)?

Was planning on bringing my all-in-one printer scanner yokey that ive had for years, but its decided it doesnt want to connect to my laptop :mad:

fussy little bo*****s...

Is it worth buying a new (cheap!) all-in-one between myself and my friend (who I'll be living with)?

Now that you have to pay for printing in college it might be. Try and work out the per-page cost if you can and compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

Got accepted to do arts in ucc:) and at the moment I'm trying to decide on what subjects I want to do. I know I definitely want to do Spanish and psychology and then I was thinking sociology and Italian but what I want to know is, do you think taking two languages is too much? Like I'm going to do non beginners Spanish and beginners Italian. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Remember to keep on top of the work. You don't want to have to panic at the last minute. Tip away at it during the year and you'll be fine, and make absolutely sure you have time to enjoy yourself, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

DUDE! wrote: »
    Got accepted to do arts in ucc:) and at the moment I'm trying to decide on what subjects I want to do. I know I definitely want to do Spanish and psychology and then I was thinking sociology and Italian but what I want to know is, do you think taking two languages is too much? Like I'm going to do non beginners Spanish and beginners Italian. Help!

My buddy's taking two and absolutely loves it. If you're willing to put in the effort and you have a genuine interest, then it should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

I've a good few friends taking arts, they're all looking forward to it. One of them'll be taking non-beginners spanish, she'll be the really smart one showing off. She's scarily fluent *whispers* she got an A1. I ish scared haha

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Avoid Elec eng!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

Jeebus wrote: »
    Howdy,

Just been accepted into UCC. Am absolutely delighted.

I was thinking, seeing as a lot of you have been here for ages, that you could share your advice with those of us who haven't been so lucky ! "Don't go to the chinese on shop street, they use human meat" and the like.

I'm moving into Castlewhite soon, need to make a whole new set of friends as I'm not living with anyone I know. I'm not so worried at the moment, the post-getting-my-offer happiness is not going to fade for a while, but still, any advice is always appreciated ! :)

Thanks a lot :)
    are you in med '09 jeebus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

DUDE! wrote: »

Congratulations on getting Arts.

I think it's fairly managable if you put the effort in.

You already have a bit of a head start in non beginners Spanish and you're doing beginners Italian, so that's better than picking up two subjects from scratch.

Stay on top of the work, you'll have to focus on them and make sure you enjoy doing them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

This is all gonna sound very obvious but it's true:

*Go to your lectures. As well as it being important for, y'know, education and stuff it's also a good way to get to know the people in your class. Talking to people before and after lectures is a good way to make friends.

*Do get involved in clubs and societies. I didn't really get involved in 1st and 2nd year (too shy and too lazy) but regret it now. Again, it's a great way to make friends.

*Enjoy it. College should be the best years of your life. If you're not enjoying it, then consider dropping out. It's not worth spending 3 or 4 years doing a degree that you're not happy doing, or studying somewhere that you can't stand.

That's just general advice for any college. As for UCC specifically:

*Hot chicken rolls/sandwiches from Cliffords Daybreak are great. The Coffee Dock is alright but nothing special. The Main rest is a bit dodgy: food really isn't that great but then again, student food is meant to be cheap so I guess you get what you pay for.

*Remember that there's a 2nd hand bookshop run by the SU. It's next to the Common Room. It's surprising how many people are unaware of it's existance.

*If you're new to Cork, check out the Cork City forum. There are threads there about the best restaurants and cafes in the city. My personal favourite place is Tribes on (Tuckey Street) It opens late at night, which is handy, but is closed Monday for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

*Hot chicken rolls/sandwiches from Cliffords Daybreak are great.

This is possibly the single best advice on this thread thus far. Its as if they are crafted from the hand of God
    NOTE: Chicken Rolls at Gilabbey Daybreak are but a pale imitation of Cliffords.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

This is possibly the single best advice on this thread thus far. Its as if they are crafted from the hand of God
    NOTE: Chicken Rolls at Gilabbey Daybreak are but a pale imitation of Cliffords.

gillabbey will never match cliffords! FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Jeebus, it appears you have become caught up in a completely irrelevant argument between two idiots. Firstly I'm going to ask why you chose Cork, where you're from and what course you're doing?

#1 Castlewhite apartments are perfect for first years. You'll be living in a block with other students...perfect for meeting people and interacting so you won't end up depressed and lonely.

#2 Cork is amazing. I'll be graduating from my BA in September and I'm going back to do a masters because I just love the city, the people, the course and the college that much!

#3 Acknowledge the people in your class. Everyone is in the same boat, except the assholes who have chosen the same course as their friends and they remain in their own little clique all the time. You don't really want to be friends with those people anyway! Meet people from everywhereI have friends in all areas of the country...Just remember the free accomodation next summer when you're sick of going out at home!...And You'll soon realise that the friends you had in school are probably idiots. There's a major lesson to be learned in Uni and that's that you can choose your friends!

#4 Go to lectures...it makes it a hell of a lot easier to do the assignments/exams and its the only way you'll keep in contact with your new buddies.

#5 Use the facilities available to freshers VIA the Student Union i.e. Free doctor, free counselling, free internet, free printing, free activities. You'll get e-mails from the SU telling you about events...go to them. Most will be on in the New or Old Bar and Castlewhite is seriously close to both of these!

#6 Get drunk and go to Fast Eddie's...the worst nightclub in the city. It's amazing! And also, brave Freakscene/Gayscene...Never had a homosexual feel you up? It's an experience you'll never forget! :-P

#7 Enjoy it...I know this is all cliche etc, I'm only 21 but seriously, you won't know where the time has gone! I remember being in first year and never going to lectures, never leaving the apartment except to go drinking and it feels like yesterday! Now I'm starting a masters and all the fcuk acting is gone out the window and reality is nigh! They will be the best days of your life...UCC is an amazing college.

But....if you decide you don't like it then fcuk it! It's not the end of the world! You have until the end of October I think to drop out and not pay fees the following year. It's a mad transition to have to make so don't get caught up thinking you'll be letting people down...It's your life and your education!

(Did I rant slightly?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Can I suggest maybe European studies with your languages? It'll stand to you more than psychology and sociology (which if you take to degree level are impossible...from what I hear!)

Good post but remember, printing ain't free no more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

#6 Get drunk and go to Fast Eddie's...the worst nightclub in the city. It's amazing!

I think Feddies is gone. Last time i was in Cork the letters were down from over the door. Alas the noobs will never know the joy of paying €8 entrance fee only to realise nobody is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Yep. Aras Na Laoi. Big yellow building a few minutes away from campus.

ah yes... i know that place, really small corridors.... always roasting hot. never realised it was law. always thought it was maths for some reason!!:D

• Advertisement

ah yes... i know that place, really small corridors.... always roasting hot. never realised it was law. always thought it was maths for some reason!!:D

You're half right, its both. Or was until maths moved to the new building

Advertisement