Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porridge is bad for you

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ok, now I'm gonna break my own damn rule, but only cos you write such long dense posts.:p
    Like how I passed my leaving cert Irish exam the clue and answer is often to be found in the opening statement/question. Emboldened for your convenience :D
    And they never will, been on this merrygoround a few times. Ice is a raw vegan, so you know, a diet that has never supported any human population in history. I don't think the anthropological angle is a match for a dietary religion.
    True enough. They had me at mineral destruction in cooking.
    That's Wrangham's hypothesis, but it's built on sparse evidence. The rapid expansion in our brain's along with commensurate gut shrinkage occured 1.8m years ago, but the earliest hearths are from all from less than 250,000 years ago (there's one site in Keyna from 1.6m but that's still very speculative as regards any cooking occurring there). Not saying it's not possible, but the evidence leans more towards the move from plant to calorie dense animal foods, ie the expensive tissue hypothesis. You need a massive boost in DHA to support a big brain, you don't get that from starch.
    Oh I concur it was the move to animal protein that more and more drove the changes. We went from an apple shaped beer bellied ape to a V shaped hominid very rapidly. A sure sign of a novel diet. And that's just in the bones. The tools utilised add to that with their external adaptation/exaptation(sp). Humans are bloody brilliant for that stuff. I'll bet within 5 years cooking will be pushed further back. I'll further bet at around 1 MYA. I don't look at the tools so much, nor the hearth evidence, I look at the isotope results from the bones. That and how that reflects on the other existing evidence. Plus I look at some apparent outliers among moderns. I regard the andaman islanders(a thread in itself across a myriad forums hereabouts) and some of their more quirky tells. Pretty much alone among fully modern humans they didn't know how to make fire. They understood it's importance, but stored it after lightning strikes and the like. With Incredible ingenuity while they were at it. Either somewhere along the line from Africa they lost the ability(probable), or the ability itself is a lot later than we may think today(changes the books). They tend not to have hearths and cook their food lightly, so evidence of them cooking is very sparse in the record. And we know they do.
    But even then we've done a lot of evolving in the past 250,000 years. We're more adapted to cooked foods than raw. And although I think raw food is a worth-while contribution to a diet, the bulk of calories should be cooked unless you like to chew all day long like our more herbivorous cousins.:)
    :) That said as a treatment for modern ills I'd have some support for Ice's position. More than one experiment has been done which had modern not healthy but not sick, the chronically well :) people try a raw food diet for a short while and it made a significant diff to their health. All good. But like you say, short term and long term the jury's out. As a palative for a fcuked up diet it's may be bang on, as a long term strategy, I'm not so sure.
    Maybe it's because I'm a woman but the image of man the hunter and woman the leaf and berry gatherer always irks me.:D Women actually gathered a large amount of protein in the form of shellfish, lizards, insects and grubs
    Very true. It wasn't just veggie material. Native Australian women a great example. Indeed I watched a telly programme on just that subject and the women were bringing home a significant, if not the majority amount of daily nutrition. The men may have been bringing home the bacon, but the women were bringing home the veg and tea and biccies and everything else. A ratio the ladies in question joked about. :)
    According to the latest research, megafaunal extinctions are actually more likely to have been climate related.
    It's an interesting one alright. Very debatable. For another thread methinks.
    Humans are efficient scavengers and opportunists, we were never top of the food chain, you can't be when things still eat you! It's a romantic notion that has persisted despite evidence to the contrary.
    Ohh I dunno. Wolves are predated on by other predators, often their own kind, as are lions etc. Apex predators will eat other apex predators. Even T- rex shows signs of this. Sound familiar? One of the first pathologies noted in our ancestors is a case of hypocalcemia(sp :s) in a homo erectus female. Caused by ingesting the liver of a predator. To this day many tribal types have a taboo and stories around ingesting predator livers. Neandertal were very much the apex predator of their day and when we showed up we continued and took that mantle from them.
    Although yes, animal protein is of significantly higher bioavailiability, the allergy argument doesn't really prove anything, prevalance of allergies to a protein is no indication of it's suitability in the diet. I used to think so, but the pathology of allergies is more down to an auto-immune response occurring during the presence of an otherwise innocent protein, than anything intrinsically wrong with the food.
    I agree, but still for me it's striking that of all the protein specific responses in modern humans worldwide, red meat reactions are waaaay down the list. That for me may show an archaic adaptation. Indians may be lactose intolerant because of Hindu religious practice, but I'll put good money they don't react badly to the meat of a ruminant animal in near the same way
    It only seems to increase longevity if the mice are calorie restricted from birth, if you calorie restrict them half way through their life the benefits drop dramatically. Also, human studies have been short term, lots of things that cause markers to improve short term can turn pear shaped in a few years.

Initial improvement in health = what you take out of your diet
    Long term maintennance of health = what you put in to your diet

Plus have you seen any long term CRONies? They look like hell:

http://www.calorierestriction.org/cr4_dvds
    [/QUOTE]Oh agreed ED, it's "out there" on a few levels. Not unlike the raw food diet aforementioned. One interesting study looked at intermittent
    fasting in humans and found an overall positive response regardless of the age of the individal. Which would make sense given our history. Being hungry the odd time is likely good for you kinda thing.

I swear I'll not multi quote again :o:o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Do you have a link to anything about isotope ratios showing significant starch consumption from c.1.8m years ago? I always thought this kind of evidence was debatable unless it's something with a unique carbon signature like corn? I wish I had more time to read up on this stuff, but I settle for frequenting anthropology forums and having my ass handed to me in debates. :D

I don't doubt raw veganism in the short-term causes people to improve their health. But then again so does any variety of extreme diet, including zero carb, which is almost the exactly the opposite in terms of content.

I'd attribute this to the elimination of the most potentially problematic foods. So the success of a LFRV diet is no more attributable to the lack of animal foods as the zero carb is to the lack of plants.

Another factor is intermittent protein restriction causes favourable improvements on health, long term protein restriction comes with it's own set of issues in my own experience, notably a drastic drop in mood and loss of muscle.

Longer term, 5 years later maybe less, problems happen. Teeth fall out, weight starts to be regained, depression and other issues creep in. Either way the inevitable deficiencies of either approach become apparent. At this point the belief that this is The Best Way To Eat (TM) is so ingrained that the person has an almost Stockholm-syndrome like dedication to continuing the diet and that the reason it's not working is that it's not strict enough.

Overall the most depressing thing is that we have yet to discover the diet that allows for consistent and permanent weight loss. Until we're stuck with evangelists (like myself lol!) trying to convert people round to our way of thinking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you have a link to anything about isotope ratios showing significant starch consumption from c.1.8m years ago?
    Oh sorry no it was animal food ratios that went up. Now erectus shows signs of parasites(tapeworms in particular) so not deep frying their meat, but the change to meat is clear and cooking makes meat more bioavailable to a gut more omnivorous in makeup. IMHO that's why erectus was likely the first human to leave Africa. That would be a lot harder for a veggie, unless it was a grass eater. The plant foods they would have encountered in the new environments would be different to what they left behind. A whole new safe/poisonous database would have to be written up. For carnivores it's a lot easier. If it moves you can eat it. If it moves slowly and is large, Happy Christmas! :D Plus with the change from forest to grassland fruit and veg pickings were very slim. May be why we started to look under the grasslands.
    I don't doubt raw veganism in the short-term causes people to improve their health. But then again so does any variety of extreme diet, including zero carb, which is almost the exactly the opposite in terms of content.

I'd attribute this to the elimination of the most potentially problematic foods. So the success of a LFRV diet is no more attributable to the lack of animal foods as the zero carb is to the lack of plants.

Another factor is intermittent protein restriction causes favourable improvements on health, long term protein restriction comes with it's own set of issues in my own experience, notably a drastic drop in mood and loss of muscle.

Longer term, 5 years later maybe less, problems happen. Teeth fall out, weight starts to be regained, depression and other issues creep in. Either way the inevitable deficiencies of either approach become apparent. At this point the belief that this is The Best Way To Eat (TM) is so ingrained that the person has an almost Stockholm-syndrome like dedication to continuing the diet and that the reason it's not working is that it's not strict enough.
    +1
    Overall the most depressing thing is that we have yet to discover the diet that allows for consistent and permanent weight loss. Until we're stuck with evangelists (like myself lol!) trying to convert people round to our way of thinking.
    I reckon we have, just it requires consistent and permanent application. I would also personally believe that any "perfect diet" can't be applied worldwide to all populations. I ain't talking about blood group diets :)(completely daft IMHO). I'm talking about deep and shallow genetic heritage that might come into it. What may be tip top as a dietary component for one population may play havoc with another. EG Soya for Asians OK, may not be so good for Europeans and Africans and others though. Gluten and lactose would be other obvious ones with local adaptations. Applying a one size fits all probably won't work worldwide.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

@ Wibbs & El_Dangeroso:
    Just a quick note of thanks to you both for an excellent debate, this is exactly the sort of thing that makes Boards.ie so great.

Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Rovi wrote: »
    @ Wibbs & El_Dangeroso:
    Just a quick note of thanks to you both for an excellent debate, this is exactly the sort of thing that makes Boards.ie so great.

Carry on...
    + 1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Humans are efficient scavengers and opportunists, we were never top of the food chain, you can't be when things still eat you! It's a romantic notion that has persisted despite evidence to the contrary.

Studies have suggested early Europeans were the highest level predators around

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/38/16034.full

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon we have, just it requires consistent and permanent application. I would also personally believe that any "perfect diet" can't be applied worldwide to all populations. I ain't talking about blood group diets :)(completely daft IMHO). I'm talking about deep and shallow genetic heritage that might come into it. What may be tip top as a dietary component for one population may play havoc with another. EG Soya for Asians OK, may not be so good for Europeans and Africans and others though. Gluten and lactose would be other obvious ones with local adaptations. Applying a one size fits all probably won't work worldwide.

Absolutely, there's some evidence coming out that this is modulated in part by our gut bacteria, really cool study recently coming out about how Japanese people have different bacteria that make them uniquely suited to their diet.

In my own experience I eat rice, but if rice is my main starch I start to get blood sugar issues. But if I replace it with an equal amount of potato my blood sugar is rock steady.

But to be honest I'd just love to see people going back to using traditional fats, there's no human on the planet adapted to the amount of veg oil we in the west eat. Those of African descent seem particularly vunerable, it seems to make them far more susceptible to diabetes.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Studies have suggested early Europeans were the highest level predators around

http://www.pnas.org/content/106/38/16034.full

We got our fair share of protein for sure, but we would have still been predated upon, I dunno if that precludes you from being an apex predator or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

We got our fair share of protein for sure, but we would have still been predated upon, I dunno if that precludes you from being an apex predator or not.

As Wibbs states above, wolves are not unknown to eat other wolves. Not only did we kill and eat more animals than wolves, we domesticated them!

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    As Wibbs states above, wolves are not unknown to eat other wolves. Not only did we kill and eat more animals than wolves, we domesticated them!

Or they domesticated us.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Or they domesticated us.:)
    Nah, that was cats. :D

Absolutely, there's some evidence coming out that this is modulated in part by our gut bacteria, really cool study recently coming out about how Japanese people have different bacteria that make them uniquely suited to their diet.
    I reckon our gut flora is going to become more and more important for study as time goes on. Not just in yakult ads :D Both our personal population and our genetic and localised populations and how they affect us. EG Helicobacter pylori which is one of the main causes of stomach ulcers in the west is endemic among Africans gut flora(and others) yet causes no such issues.
    In my own experience I eat rice, but if rice is my main starch I start to get blood sugar issues. But if I replace it with an equal amount of potato my blood sugar is rock steady
    That;s interesting alright.
    But to be honest I'd just love to see people going back to using traditional fats, there's no human on the planet adapted to the amount of veg oil we in the west eat. Those of African descent seem particularly vunerable, it seems to make them far more susceptible to diabetes.
    Oh god yes a thousand times yes. Very very few veggie oils are good for you, yet the majority think they're incredibly healthy. Just like "corn fed" is a byword for health(and it's really, really not) so is "Vegetable oil". Sure if it's coconut oil, or hemp oil or high quality cold pressed pure olive oil, but sunflower/rape/peanut oils in my humble are a disaster. Then when they're hydrogenated... Oh god. The problem is now with all the veg oil fired into animals even lard has a good chunk of veggie derived oils. Even with OK oils like Olive, people of an Irish genetic heritage have only been exposed to it for under two generations. It might be gangbusters if you're Greek, Spanish, French of Italian, but for if you're of Northern European stock? I'd personally not go overboard on it anyway. Black folks living in higher latitudes also have the issues with Vit D production. I'd not be surprised that that's much of the problem. When white skinned people can show some Vit D deficiency because of more hours spent indoors*, then if you're black skinned you're kinda fooked.

Aside People are avoiding the sun more and more, yet are happy to chug down vit C(with added sorbitol) for its apparently good effects in the body, yet ignore Vit D which IIRC is involved in more gene expression than any other micro nutrient /Aside.

Aside People are avoiding the sun more and more, yet are happy to chug down vit C(with added sorbitol) for its apparently good effects in the body, yet ignore Vit D which IIRC is involved in more gene expression than any other micro nutrient /Aside.

Interesting thing on vitamin d, African people seem to not be as affected by D deficiency as caucasians, at least where stroke and heart disease and stroke are concerned.

Africans who move north do have much higher rates of autism though.

I think C is important, but probably not for the reasons we think, it does bugger all against viruses, but it's really important for skin and teeth.

Vitamin D is the nutrient du jour alright, I wouldn't go supplementing without adequate A, K2 and magnesium though. That's the problem with most trials in this area, they don't acknowledge that nutrients work in concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

Ice. wrote: »
    That may be acceptable to you but I don't want moderate health, I want excellent health.

+1

OP, I tried raw for a couple or years and did not work for me. It's an awful lot of hassle to gather and eat the amount of fruit that you need to keep you going calorie-wise and then you're hungry again very quickly as a result of the sugar highs and lows. Like for a raw-foodist you have to sit down in the morning and eat from half a kilo to a kilo of fruit in one sitting! That's a lot of chewing and a lot of time and also i was going to the shop every second day cos I was going through fruit and veg so quickly and it is highly perisable. There is also all the drawbacks that the others have mention and personally I do not think raw-food is healthy long-term. An one more thing, that girl in the video looks fairly anorexic in quite a few of the images.

Interesting thing on vitamin d, African people seem to not be as affected by D deficiency as caucasians, at least where stroke and heart disease and stroke are concerned.
    Funny enough this has long been an interest of mine, IE why did some modern humans get white skin(more correctly lose their black skin). The theory, nay gospel being that as we moved to higher latitudes we lost the melanin in our skins to make up for the shortfall in sunlight and the drop in Vit D. Incidences of rickets in some migratory populations seemed to copperfasten that. It's defo a good theory. However I have always had my doubts that this was even sniffing at the whole story. One word; Tasmanians. The modern human population made it to Tasmania at about the same time(if not earlier in a permanent sense) as moderns made it to Europe, yet the Tasmanians(sadly and criminally no longer with us) were about as dark as folks can get(the same as native Australians). If it was a response to a similar level of sunlight over the same very long time one would expect them to lighten to some degree, yet they most certainly did not. Their diet didn't seem to offer a buffer to offset this. For while they had access to more plant foods compared to the almost wolflike profile of early Europeans, we ate more seafood. So likely we were getting more D in our diets. Something else was going on IMH. For me it was more down to cross breeding with existing archaic Europeans, random mutation(s) and mate selection pressures in a sparse population. But I'll shush before I'm passed over to those poor bastids in the paleontology forum :o:)
    Iristxo wrote: »
    +1
    Oh I agree, but I think we also agree that extremes and block exclusions are usually not the best bet, unless you have pathology that suggests it.
    Iristxo wrote: »
    OP, I tried raw for a couple or years and did not work for me. It's an awful lot of hassle to gather and eat the amount of fruit that you need to keep you going calorie-wise and then you're hungry again very quickly as a result of the sugar highs and lows. Like for a raw-foodist you have to sit down in the morning and eat from half a kilo to a kilo of fruit in one sitting! That's a lot of chewing and a lot of time and also i was going to the shop every second day cos I was going through fruit and veg so quickly and it is highly perisable. There is also all the drawbacks that the others have mention and personally I do not think raw-food is healthy long-term.
    Plus one. Like I said earlier pure raw plant food primates spend a looong time foraging and consuming and digesting such foods. Even mostly plant food primates do. And they don't have our requirements. And we're a very strange great ape in soooo many ways. While we may differ to a tiny percentage in our genome to chimps, we're so different in those couple of percentage points.

That said one of our differences is that we have the brains to collect a huge range of plant foods today and in the past. High value plant foods with it and as well we can extract the most bang for our buck out of them(EG cooking tubers and roasting nuts). Plus most of all we have incredible levels of dietary adaptability built in. We're like bipedal primate rats. :D You could have twins where one is a dyed in the wool vegan and the other is more a meat, fish and eggs person and so long as both were varied and high in quality, both would be healthy.

However I do think raw food diets as a palative and a treatment for some of the illnesses of the chronically well in the west are likely fruitful(no pun). Temporary raw food diets do seem to make good changes in the overweight, and cardiovascularly* compromised. As short bursts of pure protein with very low carbs may reset the sugar/insulin mechanism to healthy baseline. Ditto for short supervised fasts(the odd day I mean).

Prolly isn't but should be a word. :D

Wibbs, you'd love this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1597260916/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=trevresa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=1597260916

It's hints at how humans and plants co-evolved and how different ethnicities developed different tolerances to plant toxins.

Corn is a cool example of this, it experienced a genetic mutation that would be catastrophic but for the fact that it made it far more attractive to cultivate by humans, Omnivore's Dilemma goes into this at length.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Africans who move north do have much higher rates of autism though.

Very interesting. I often wondered why peopel of South Asian ethnicity in Britain are regularly linked with rickets but blacks(who you would initially suspect would have it worse as they have much darker skin) not as much. Thought it was down to conservative Muslim/Hindu style clothing

Oh I agree, but I think we also agree that extremes and block exclusions are usually not the best bet, unless you have pathology that suggests it.

Definitely. Unless it's table sugar that you're excluding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

The human body is amazing. It has a way of getting what it needs even from restrictive diets.

I remember reading this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1465244/Boy-thrives-on-jam-sandwich-diet.html

Never eat anything but jam sandwiches and crap and had correct protein and nutrition. Not suggesting it is the way to go :)

Still its interesting and proves that you could thrive on a fruit and veg diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

His blood test results however are a different story.

The results indicate that Craig may be bordering on suffering from an iron deficiency which, if left unchecked, could lead to anaemia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series7/jam_sandwich_diet.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

His blood test results however are a different story.

The results indicate that Craig may be bordering on suffering from an iron deficiency which, if left unchecked, could lead to anaemia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/east/series7/jam_sandwich_diet.shtml

Thanks for that. I never got that side of the story. I thought as much and was surprised when I heard that story first a couple of years ago.

Advertisement