Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAR: Wicklow Adventure Race Glenmalure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 inishoo

Here's what Shakespeare rolleyes.gif has to say about WAR in thefamous speech "Once more to the breach, dear friends, once more" ......

"In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of WAR blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
    Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
    Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
    Let pry through the portage of the head
    Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
    As fearfully as doth a galled rock
    O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
    Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
    Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
    Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
    To his full height
    ."biggrin.gif

LOL !!! Once more to the breach.......... wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

4 stars (good)
    I cant see any water stations on the map, am I going blind? At the previous WAR there was energy drinks at T1 and energy drinks and water at t3. I'm hoping for more of the same but i'll have two bottles on the bike just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

What are people using cleats or toe clips? cant decide!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    seanie500 wrote: »
    What are people using cleats or toe clips? cant decide!
    Cleats = problems on the offroad section, if you are running it.

Ive tried straps, but with xc shoes, my foot gets caught on the pedal every bloody time I try to slip my foot in. So have almost useless strapless toe clips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know if its possible to enter on the day? Or at 53 Degrees North?

I left it too late, doh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

When is the bike drop off, no mention of it in the latest race brief??

The website FAQ section states 30 mins before wave and further down states Friday night:confused:

4 stars (good)
    I took it from the race briefing that drop off is Saturday morning after 8.30.
    http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurerace.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Glenmalure-briefing.pdf

194 entered for expert, nice number

4 stars (good)
    ...and only 24 of them women. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Oryx wrote: »
    Cleats = problems on the offroad section, if you are running it.

Ive tried straps, but with xc shoes, my foot gets caught on the pedal every bloody time I try to slip my foot in. So have almost useless strapless toe clips.

How practical would it be to just change back into runners for the off road section and run it? I'm thinking any time lost in changing shoes would be more than made up for by having cleats on for the bike legs. Obviously it means having your running shoes in a backpack but I'm thinking the positives outweigh any negatives here?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Depends on how competitive you are :)
    time seems to be everything for some people so you will loose lots of it taking shoes off. There is also a stream to go through so shiney shoes may not be the best thing to wear anyway!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    As much as I like running in a small field, it's disapointing for the organisers to see such a small turn out. Glendalough WAR was really well organised and a great route, they were even nice enough to throw in the sun as well. I don't know how they get 1,500 odd for Gael Force, the power of marketing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

guapos wrote: »
    As much as I like running in a small field, it's disapointing for the organisers to see such a small turn out. Glendalough WAR was really well organised and a great route, they were even nice enough to throw in the sun as well. I don't know how they get 1,500 odd for Gael Force, the power of marketing I suppose.

Add another 1000 - galeforce west had about 2,500 this year. WAR has a long way to go to get these figures.
    Looking forward to Saturday - dreading the hills on the cycle though.

4 stars (good)
    Q7 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Saturday - dreading the hills on the cycle though.
    +1

That first cycle is gonna be a beeatch. I drove up it and nearly cried. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gear Freak

4 stars (good)
    Just registered there in 53 Degrees North. Nice and quick and managed to pick up all my mandatory kit, nice €10 voucher too.

Only two more sleepless nights now!!!

Best of luck everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What size top did you get when you were there ? They only had large and x-large this afternoon and said they should have smaller later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gear Freak

4 stars (good)
    I got an X-Large jersey but they said that you can swap the jersey for a bigger size on the day if you need to. Mine fits quite nicely. The jersey itself is awesome.

They only had L or XL when I was there too this evening.

TBH I think the jerseys are hidious from a ladies fit perspective! Not entirely sure I will ever wear it :D

Voucher was good as I wanted anew buff but wasnt oo happy that it cost €19 and when I went into TK Maxx they had 3 for €9 in packs near the til! Still I suppose they werent pink and it wouldnt do to buy a non pink one!

Also for the record they also had fleece lined buffs in TK Maxx too seeing as its coming into winter.

Ah, but are they real Buffs in TX Max !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Robin Bryson is on the start list!
    Mega race guaranteed up front:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Peterx wrote: »
    Robin Bryson is on the start list!
    Mega race guaranteed up front:D

Well spotted PeterX

"Formguide" for the race now posted at:
    http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php

Let the "WAR" commence indeed :D

ps:
    I would NOT be using road bike type cleats on a bike IMHO.
    I will be buying pints at post race pee-up in the Glenmalure Lodge on Saturday night for Anyone that rides the whole of the rough section of the first cycle on a full spec road bike without putting their feet down - that includes if you get a puncture :eek:
    99% will walk at least some of this section I think so best to have either runners or MTB cleated shoes that you can walk / jog in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Problem is, I'm only used to using my current pedal/ cleated shoe set up on my road bike. I have mtb pedals that I could put on, but I'm thinking changing bike set up the day before an event is a bad idea. If I carry my running shoes in a back pack and change out of cleats and into runners at the start of the off road, and then the end of the off road, I'm losing what, 90 seconds max for each change, 3 minutes total? I'll easily save that using cleats versus clips or mtb shoes on the climbs and descents...
    That's my logic anyway, ask me on Saturday afternoon if it was a good idea....
    Excuseless wrote: »
    Well spotted PeterX

"Formguide" for the race now posted at:
    http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php

Let the "WAR" commence indeed :D

ps:
    I would NOT be using road bike type cleats on a bike IMHO.
    I will be buying pints at post race pee-up in the Glenmalure Lodge on Saturday night for Anyone that rides the whole of the rough section of the first cycle on a full spec road bike without putting their feet down - that includes if you get a puncture :eek:
    99% will walk at least some of this section I think so best to have either runners or MTB cleated shoes that you can walk / jog in.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah, but are they real Buffs in TX Max !

Of course not :) however if you see me at the start on sat i will be wearing a pink buff....i wonder if you will be able to tell if its a real or a fake :) hahah!

Would like to watch the off road section for a while alright ...pity i will be racing! Really looking forward to it now...good luck tomorrow everyone!

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    Of course not :) however if you see me at the start on sat i will be wearing a pink buff....i wonder if you will be able to tell if its a real or a fake :) hahah!

Would like to watch the off road section for a while alright ...pity i will be racing! Really looking forward to it now...good luck tomorrow everyone!

Ill introduce myself, 'hi Im Oryx, you must be Fie-Huh?':D

Good luck t'ya, hope the sun shines!

I can't help but now accept the challenge laid down by Excuseless ! However I'll be doing it on a flat bar so won't be going the full spec road bike route. I take great pride that I never got off the bike in GF so don't want to blot my record tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I take great pride that I never got off the bike in GF so don't want to blot my record tomorrow.

Not even for some of the cycle after C.P.? I didnt get off bike b4 C.P. but you'd ruin a road bike cycling all the 2nd offroad section me thinks

Yeah, I wasn't on a road bike, I had a flat bar which was perfect for GF, but for other events where the cycling was all on road you do loose time on roadies.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Are there water-fill up points in this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

hey all, i and a friend had great plans to do this when there was a kyaking section but since the course changed my friend has pulled out and i have pulled out as i dont want to do it alone. i immediatly requested a refund when it was being offered but never recieved any notification that the message was recieved. i have since been talking to the organiser and he said he wasnt in charge of the refunds. im getting a little worried now as i paid for both myself and my friend which is a lot of money for me and the fact that the race is tomorrow i may never get my money back which is around 130 euro for the both of us, any advice asides from contacting the co-ordinator which hasnt worked so far!!

I think they were trying to process refunds last week but am sure they are up to their tonsils in the race - i reckon next week it will all get sorted :)

Orxy - feel free to say hi - although I am only doing to sport class :)

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow, ill be running the off road section as I cant risk a puncture because my repair time is dreadful

Advertisement