Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night rate electricity

• 25-02-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on getting in the night rate meter that the ESB have? I was thinking of getting one. i think the deal is they charge you a cent extra during the day but the rate is half during the night. I think the standing charge is increased a bit too. I wonder is it worth changing over, would it save money on the bill? It's free to change over but they charge 200euro to change back again to the day rate. Anyone?

Ger.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Everything you said is correct. You have all the info, you just need to use as much as you can between Night rate hours 11pm to 8am in wintertime and 12am to 9am in summertime. Make a list of everything and work of how you get it to best advantage. Dishwasher, washing machine, immersion etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

Hey. I changed over to night rate last spring after a ridiculously high post-Christmas ESB bill. As far as I can remember, I paid the €200 switchover charge for the digital meter though.

As the previous poster mentioned, I changed as many “heavy” appliances as possible to timers – dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer only coming on after 1am. However, to be honest, I was expecting a bigger saving. I’d hazard a guess that whatever I’m saving is being absorbed by the doubled standing charge.

If you’re interested in cutting down on your ESB bills, I’d more recommend the Owl electricity monitoring yoke: eye-opening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on getting in the night rate meter that the ESB have? I was thinking of getting one. i think the deal is they charge you a cent extra during the day but the rate is half during the night. I think the standing charge is increased a bit too. I wonder is it worth changing over, would it save money on the bill? It's free to change over but they charge 200euro to change back again to the day rate. Anyone? Ger.

Frankly, they suit very few households. You need to be using about 4 units minimum between the night hours (11pm to 8am in Winter and Midnight to 9am in Summer) every night of the year to make it pay. If you can't do that don't bother.

Before applying for one do the following test for a week or so: shift as much usage as you can to after 11pm and before 8am. Take a meter reading at 11pm and another at 8am. Have you been able to use more than 4 units consistently every night? Do you think you could sustain that throughout the year and not just in Winter? If so, apply for the meter.

Be mindful of safety considerations also. Electrical appliances like washing machines and tumbler dryers should not be left unattended while in use.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks to all for your replies, I'll think I'll give it a miss.

Ger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Fnergg wrote: »
    Frankly, they suit very few households. You need to be using about 4 units minimum between the night hours (11pm to 8am in Winter and Midnight to 9am in Summer) every night of the year to make it pay. If you can't do that don't bother.

Before applying for one do the following test for a week or so: shift as much usage as you can to after 11pm and before 8am. Take a meter reading at 11pm and another at 8am. Have you been able to use more than 4 units consistently every night? Do you think you could sustain that throughout the year and not just in Winter? If so, apply for the meter.

Be mindful of safety considerations also. Electrical appliances like washing machines and tumbler dryers should not be left unattended while in use.

Regards,

Fnergg

i agree .nightsaver is suitable where there's a defined off-peak load such as water heating,electric aga or heat pump .in addition to using appliances while 'attended'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I got the meter switched over on Wednesday. Since then I have only switched on the dishwasher/Tumble Dryer/Washing machine/Phone chargers after midnight. Looked at the new digital meter tonight and I have used 33 Units. 17 during the day and 16 on the night tarriff so for me it seems good so far. Nearly 50% is going on the nightsaver.

Im impressed with the new meter as you can actually see clearly whats going onto what tarriff.

keep in mind that appliances should not be left unattended to make the saving unless designed for off-peak use.that is the downside of trying to maximize the saving without a defined off -peak load like water heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Its a common misconcption that nightsaver/Economy 7 is only for storage heaters. But If one is regualrly up at odd-hours (shift workers etc) or can get away with running washing machines/tumble driers etc at night then there is a lot to be said for it.

Mind you having fixed times/only two rates is a tad antiquated. There is really no good reason in this day and age why all new customers arent given meters which can be remotly programmed to charge different rates at different times according to supply/demand. Nor is there any good reason why this should cost more than having a conventional meter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Its a common misconcption that nightsaver/Economy 7 is only for storage heaters. But If one is regualrly up at odd-hours (shift workers etc) or can get away with running washing machines/tumble driers etc at night then there is a lot to be said for it.

Nightsaver and Night storage heating are two different tariffs.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Mind you having fixed times/only two rates is a tad antiquated. There is really no good reason in this day and age why all new customers arent given meters which can be remotly programmed to charge different rates at different times according to supply/demand. Nor is there any good reason why this should cost more than having a conventional meter.

This is the goal. This is what the minister is aiming for. It requires installing a smart meter, which is only being trialled at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

davelerave wrote: »
    keep in mind that appliances should not be left unattended to make the saving unless designed for off-peak use.that is the downside of trying to maximize the saving without a defined off -peak load like water heating

My mate is always up til 2am so I flick everything on at midnight and my mate makes sure they are ok. I would never go to bed without anyone being up whilst these machines were on. I have had a dishwasher go on fire last year so I know exactly what can happen !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 areaman

I was also thinking of getting that nightmeter put in, but having done the numbers the savings are marginal at best. Based on my current usuage, if I can switch a third of my electrics to night use - dryer, dishwasher, washing machine - then the savings over a year would be about €120 euros. Of course, if the ESB/Bord Gais didn't up the rates for the day use and increase the standing charges for no apparant reason, it might actually be worth doing. As it is, also considering it costs about €250 to switch meters I doubt anyone is going to go for this. Nice work ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

areaman wrote: »
    its rigged

No it isn't.

care to elaborate?

switching is free afaik

if you have regular off -peak usage like heat pumps,electric aga or electric water heating then switching makes sense

areaman wrote: »
    As it is, also considering it costs about €250 to switch meters I doubt anyone is going to go for this. Nice work ESB.

As dave already said, its free to switch. That fee only applies if you want to switch back!

yeah, I recently switched to BordGais electrical. When I enquired about the cost of the changing the meter to the nightrate, they were insistent there was a fee of around €250 for doing this, charged by the ESB. When I checked with the ESB, they stated that the changeover was free. When I went back to BordGais, they were equally insistant on the charge. It looks like if I want the meter I'll have to switch back to ESB. What really bothers me though is what is the point of penalizing people for obtaining the night meter by higher daytime charges and higher standing charges? The whole idea of using electricity at night is make more efficient use of the power being generated at the powerplants, so why not make the incentive more obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Hope the thread's not too old to jump in here...

I'm not sure how to determine if I should switch to night time saving for a business situation.

It's a small call centre, roughly 60 computers, running 8am - 7pm. 50 are on timers for these times. The other 10 are servers and remain on overnight.

Would this be a situation good for night time saving? Somebody mentioned getting a separate line in for the 10 servers but they didn't' know any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Shayser if your with the ESB they have their own talk to section at Boardshttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1349 I know they did maybe are still doing HALO a kind of energy audit thing free maybe that is only for residentual but no harm in asking

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shayser, probably easiest just to take a few meter readings yourself - read the meter at 9am, then again at 12am, then again at 9am the next day to get an idea of how many units are being used during the various periods.

Since the vast majority of power would appear to be drawn during the day, then I suspect a normal tarriff may be the way to go. However, if you have aircon and UPSes in your server room, then you could be consuming a lot of power overnight.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm with Airtricity. Will do the readings.

Is there such a thing as getting a separate line for a device/group of devices, i.e., the servers?

• Advertisement

shayser wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as getting a separate line for a device/group of devices, i.e., the servers?

As in a new meter with a new connection?

Davy wrote: »
    As in a new meter with a new connection?
    I think so, yes! That has been suggested to me. I'll ask Airtricity in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

In the flat that I moved in I have a meter with both night and day counters .
    screenshot480s.jpg
    Does this now say that anything I use at night goes through the night counter?(not only the storage heaters electricity, but what ever is on at that time 00:00-09:00)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

:):o
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Hi All,

My question is completely off the topic here, but relevant :)

When did ESB start using Day and Night meter in Ireland? Any reference?

Thank a lot for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

They had them in the 80's as I would have installed them in 1982.

Not sure how long before that they were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I didn't know I had to 'register' for the night rate, I thought I was simply charged less for using appliances at night?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need a meter capable of separately recording day and night usage, I have one for the last couple of years and well worth it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I just checked and I shockingly discovered that my 'modern' flat doesn't have a night rate meter.

Does anyone know if it'll be a big fuss to get one installed?
    The LL is a family friend if that matters.

Advertisement