Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnie Darko

• 17-02-2003 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Has anybody seen Donnie Darko???

I watched it last nights with a couple of friends and really enjoyed it, it's an extremely original film.
    The only thing about it was that we were all fairly confused at the end. Was anybody else confused at the end???

I obviously won't give anything away, but I did check the web this morning to find out what the ending mean't and the link below explains the plot and significance of the movie in good detail for anybody that was ever so slightly confused at the end. And having read the explanation I'd really like to watch it again.

***Please note that the link below contains spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen the film***

http://www.metaphilm.com/philms/donniedarko.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah I seen it and thought it was good

I was a bit confused at the end but here is what I thought :
    he had the option of time travel, either to go on living or to die and save
    1-gretchen
    2-mother+daughter (though he might not have known this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Cheers Rich.......some good reading there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

yea saw it at the week end! was v. st*ned watchin it so no doubt i was unbelivably lost at the end! but watched it again the next day and it all made more scence!
    very good film, esp at the start: Whats a f*cK ASS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

tis the greatest movie EVER!!!! i mean as far as independent movies (or any for that matter) go... that was pretty damn great..
    fantastic first time direction and brilliant acting complented by a killer story line....

PURE PERFECTION!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

i've had a fear of rabbits in masks ever since

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've just watched this film twice and it's even better watching the 2nd time. I'm looking forward to the DVD with the deleted scenes etc:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Its been on DVD from cdwow.ie since September or earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

One thing about this bothers me. The Region 2 DVD seems to be a bit light on features i.e. "interactive menu" (whoo hours of fun!:rolleyes: ) and a trailer and thats it. Doesn't even have subtitles.
    I'm looking forward to the DVD with the deleted scenes etc

So does this mean that there will be a better R2 DVD released soon? If so, when?

Great film by the way!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Puck
    One thing about this bothers me. The Region 2 DVD seems to be a bit light on features i.e. "interactive menu" (whoo hours of fun!:rolleyes: ) and a trailer and thats it. Doesn't even have subtitles.
    So does this mean that there will be a better R2 DVD released soon? If so, when?
    You're thinking of the "Rental-only" version that Xtravision have. Most "Rental-only" DVDs are extremely light on features, and are just there to keep people satisfied until the full DVD release.

Speaking of which, the proper DVD release of Donnie Darko R2 is May 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

watched it twice at the weekend, not sure how they did it, but it was even more enjoyable the second time round...

imho the best film ever!

by the way.... the R1's on Cdwow.ie.... they won't work here right?...
    or will they?

i'm lost
    but i did see that movie 3 times in the IFC so that made me happy, but i need more!!! more!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    You're thinking of the "Rental-only" version that Xtravision have. Most "Rental-only" DVDs are extremely light on features, and are just there to keep people satisfied until the full DVD release.

Speaking of which, the proper DVD release of Donnie Darko R2 is May 19th.

Thought it might have been that but when I looked it up on play.com there were no special features listed for it. Had me worried is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by yellum
    Its been on DVD from cdwow.ie since September or earlier.

Yeah i've seen that alright but it's region 1 so I can't play it on my DVD player. The region 2 DVD available is the rental version only and as a result has limited features (None:) ) I'm sure it will come complete with all the extras when it becomes available to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    by the way.... the R1's on Cdwow.ie.... they won't work here right?...
    or will they?
    Depends what you're playing them on.
    If you're playing them on a DVD-ROM in your computer, you can probably muck around with the software/firmware to let it play region 1.
    If you're playing them on a Playstation2, you can buy Region-X, to unlock the regions. Then you just need a decent TV that can handle the NTSC signal, and you're set.
    If you're playing them on a standalone DVD player, you can might be able to use a remote hack to unlock the regions. Check google (I think dvdreviewer.co.uk has a load of remote hacks) - if you still have no luck, try asking in the "Home Entertainment" forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

I watched it three times round... it got me thinking about science and all that and time travel... deadly film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Wicked film - at least I know the whole point to the movie - cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Did YOu all spot the references to E.T. in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The writer/director has three more scripts written and they are all meant to be of top quality. He is making one himself and Tony Scott is going to ruin , I mean direct another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

check out the donnie darko web site....

really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hmmmm... am I the only one who was excited by the prospect of the film and then felt let down as the story became muddled and lost focus in the middle and then really just ended without leaving the viewer with any satisfaction.

As someone pointed out it's not really that much of an indie film given taht it's budget was 5 million dollars.

I didn't think it was all that great and to be honest that explanation that was linked to earlier in this thread seems weak to me.

*bitch bitch bitch*

I'm in full form today.

Anyone else not like it too much then?

thanks a lot for the help ObeyGiant, i may just go ahead and try to get it working.

man what a great film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Watched it during the week and its the best film i've seen in a long time.
    its smart, funny, disturbing, dark, original and interestingly complex.
    great sound track, great acting and a story to watch again and again.

also the site is very well made aswell.

btw, that book is real, but its written by a Robert Sparrow, not Roberta Sparrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

What about his condition in the first place
    and the pills? Skitzo?

And the show wit de kids dancin where
    the chink was outside wit the statue
    i think thats a reference to how egotism
    is applauded whereas arts left outside
    or split into simple factors like fear and love
    so ya wont hav2 think about it any more

just a foo thoughts

Advertisement