Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch me if you can

• 01-02-2003 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Saw it last night, alright film, was hoping for something lot more I dunno thrilling maybe. Whatca think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It was a good way to spend 2½ hours. Didn't blow me away, though.

I also thought it would be funnier. Maybe I was expecting too much after reading a handful of good reviews in the last few days.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I really enjoyed the movie!
    It was funny and charming with really good performances from Christopher Walkan and leonardo DiCaprio, and the usual good performance by Tom Hanks.
    It's a very light fast paced sort of movie for Spielberg, it was shot in 60 days in over 140 locations apparently.
    I was cracking up when the airhostess said they would be flying at 6000mph at 300ft! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Watched this flick in UCI last night and it's very good. It may have been a bit long but thats only a minor thing. I got a few laughs along the way but I think the fact it's based on a real guy makes this film for me. Damn that kid had a lot of balls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I liked it.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Very light, very entertaining, good performances by all. Surprised me, I thought it would be a lot "dumber" than it turned out.

Very forgettable though. Still, enjoyable, I recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I enjoyed this a lot last night.. good fun, some very funny bits in it.. overall a very good movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Anyone else watch this and get the distinct impression that it was less a film, and more a response to the criticism Spielberg has been getting for making big "event" movies?

Even still, Catch Me If You Can wasn't a bad film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

its not a MUST see, but its a SHOULD see

7/10

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I was not really expecting much, particularly after Leonardo's performance in Gangs of New York.
    However, I was kept awake throughout*, and I actually found myself constantly smiling at his antics.
    Not something that will go down as a classic, but great light entertainment all the same.

*I have a bit of a habit of falling asleep in cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

thought it was dull long and boring. It seem rushed, and bits of the story came out of no where, as if they were trying to cram stuff into it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Anyone else watch this and get the distinct impression that it was less a film, and more a response to the criticism Spielberg has been getting for making big "event" movies?
    I think the idea was that it was a break from all the big serious event films he was doing.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Asuka
    I think the idea was that it was a break from all the big serious event films he was doing.
    That's what I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I liked the movie. From the credits, it was obvious that this was an homage to 60s and 70s movies in the first place...which I thought it did pretty well.

I liked the humour...especially the bit where
    Hanks asks the guy at the airport who he-s there to collect
    ;)

That even got a round of applause from the usually-silent Swiss audience.

Which reminds me...seeing movies in English with sub-titles while abroad is really weird. Myself and my girlfriend are typically laughing several seconds before the "watcher-readers" catch up. It can be a bit disconcerting at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I found it very enjoyable, constantly interesting though a bit longer than I expected. The "Inspired by a true event" bit at the start has me wondering just how much of the story is true tbh, nonetheless a good watch.

Oh and bonkey, which bit was that now? Are you referring to yer man at the airport with the sign?

It was sort of 'a bit longer than i expected' for me as well, but only because I thought it was going to end shortly after he was caught. The ending, like practically all Spielberg's films, was drawn out. He seems to have some serious difficulty in tying up stories he tells.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Great film, reall y good popcorn entertainment. Kind of runs out of steam near the end. Usually i hate DiCaprio, but he was pretty good. Good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

everyone seems to be saying it didnt meet thier exspectations but was a good enough film :) so im gonna go in with an open mind....i allready saw gangs of new york and watching 2 leo movies in month would be well....ghey so im gonna wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Thought it was an excellent show. No flaws at all. It was exactly as I expected so I wasn't disappionted. Mayb it's from loving Spielberg so much. Thought it was very lighthearted and humerous in places. Good performances from all especially Walken and Hanks

9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That was the first Spielberg film I've really enjoyed since Shindlers List.

The opening credits were class. The score was great. The performances were excellent and the script worked well. Plenty of nice locations, cool clothes, funny dialogue etc. I had a very good time watching this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I found this film very boring and overlong.

There was certain scenes where Spielberg had meant there to be laughs for light relief but they fell flat everytime. The guy just can't do straight comedy. Check out 1941 for proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I thought it was great as a homage to those old high society style films,Walken was great as was the actress that played di capprios mother,she really drew you into the story with a fleshed out character that a lesser director would have probally reduced to a cardboard stereotype.

Good film,much more satisfying a movie than Gangs of New York.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Excellent film, really enjoyed it. Very funny, quite clever and a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

Advertisement