Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What skis to buy & where from?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

I have been skiing for over ten years now and think it's time I bought new skis.
    I bought a pair of Atomic Izor 9.7 skis about six or seven years ago from ebay because they were cheap but I have never liked them.
    I ski mostly on piste and will give anything a go but am starting to try to ski more off piste.
    I am 5'8" and about 75Kgs and have no idea what skis to buy now.
    I would like a ski that would take a bit more punishment and will be better off piste.
    I have no idea what skis I need and where I should buy them?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Presuming you're going out this year my advice would be to try a pair or two of ski's from a rental place/shop to see what kind of newer skis you like. Ski's are like hiking shoes/bikes or any kind of technical sports gear and hard to get a feel for based on what's described to you.

I rented a pair of skis in Livigno a few years ago and after I got back to Ireland ended up buying a pair of them. Having had a full week of them I loved them and thought it wasn't going to get much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

maddness wrote: »
    I have no idea what skis I need and where I should buy them?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have your own boots? That would be a better buy but if you do,

You will be looking at a ski in the 82-88 under foot range,

Something like the Salomon X-Drive 8.0 or Q88 or a Ski with similar dimensions would be a good start. Things like the Atomic Nomad or the Elan Morpheo range and you should have an idea of what you are looking for.

As above definitely try before you buy as the feel and reaction to skis is quite individual for everyone. As for where to buy them, there are tons of options, if buying from a retailer they may be as cheap if not cheaper in Ireland or the UK! Online, well that is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Thanks for the replies. I have my own boots which were fitted for me by a fitter in Chamonix about six years ago now.
    I have paid for ski carriage for both my trips for this winter so would love to have new skis before I go if possible.

Thanks so would love to have new skis before I go if possible.

Well have a look at some of the skis above or their equivalents at other brands like, Rossignil,movement, K2, Nordica etc !!!

Basically you will want something with 82-90 underfoot, with a widish shovel, either a twin or semi twin tip, with a slight rocker, absolutely tons of options out there right now. Best to try before you buy but plenty of reviews in various magazines etc

Thanks again for the reply.
    Is Snow and Rock the best place to buy in Dublin? Or should I buy inline?
    I would rather give business to someone here if possible as long as the price is close enough.

• Advertisement

Both Snow and Rock and Great Outdoors have skis that would match the criteria you have outlined, as would McSki in Belfast! In Dublin S&R will have the biggest range, but GO normally have at least one or two ski heavily discounted from the previous years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Thanks again for the reply.
    Is Snow and Rock the best place to buy in Dublin? Or should I buy inline?
    I would rather give business to someone here if possible as long as the price is close enough.

I bought mine in S&R and got a decent discount on them just by asking. It didn't beat the best online price, but it was close enough for me to give them the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I think buying your own skis is crazy if you only go for the one one wk trip every year. You can hire the latest skis and boots for €150 now or there a set of skis and boots to buy wud probably set you back €1500 so it would take ten Years for ty to become profitable and by year ten I'm sure there will be plenty of new advances in skis so you will end up having to fork out again after ten

Road-Hog wrote: »
    a set of skis and boots to buy wud probably set you back €1500 ....here will be plenty of new advances in skis so you will end up having to fork out again after ten

To quote Garda Gerry Boyle "I don't know what street you buy your drugs on..."

Decent boots and skis for an average piste skier could be picked up, for approx €500-600 if you buy right and clever.

As for the tech normally 4-6 year cycles for ranges so although there has been some large advances in the last 8-10 years they were the first really big jumps for 20 years!!

It's a personal thing if you can afford it why not

My last pair cost me €320 and I managed 10 or 11 ski trips with them. It costs €60 carriage as apposed to €40 for a bag on Aer Lingus. So I save about €100 every time I go and can be on the slopes that bit quicker which is great for a long weekend ski holiday.
    I think they have more than paid for themselves.

• Advertisement

My last pair cost me €320 and I managed 10 or 11 ski trips with them. It costs €60 carriage as apposed to €40 for a bag on Aer Lingus. So I save about €100 every time I go and can be on the slopes that bit quicker which is great for a long weekend ski holiday.
    I think they have more than paid for themselves.

For €320 were they brand new. Any time I've looked at ski's in resorts and for skis without bindings cheapest I've ever seen is around the €550 mark. Add in bindings and I would have thought €800 or so for everything Then you have the pain of lugging them through airport each trip etc and associated carriage costs. I could see point in buying ski boots but not skis

For €320 were they brand new. Any time I've looked at ski's in resorts and for skis with bindings cheapest I've ever seen is around the €550 mark. Add in bindings and I would ace thought €800 or so. Then u ace the pain of lugging them through airport each trip etc and associated carriage costs

Like I said, wrong street!!
    Sport Conrad currently have high end skis Vokl from €99-250 & a decent binding to that €60-150 and you get???

Skibay on Facebook will get you even better value on nearly new kit!

Fattes wrote: »
    Like I said, wrong street!!
    Sport Conrad currently have high end skis Vokl from €99-250 & a decent binding to that €60-150 and you get???

Skibay on Facebook will get you even better value on nearly new kit!

Moore at v grafton St so......where is sportconrad located? If in Ireland then skis must be one of the rare items where you can purchase 'high end' models for less than anywhere else in the world are you sure you don't have to pay VRT on them !! I will admit that my ski purchase research has been limited to glancing at price tags In the ski rental shops in resorts and that has always put me off due to costs I mentioned already. But each to their own if I had bought skis after my first trip 16 years ago I would have the cost of a holiday saved at this stage!!!

Moore at v grafton St so......where is sportconrad located? quote]

Nope sport Conrad is one of Germany's top sports retailers! Even buying here you can get a good mid level ski for a good price! Snow and rock regularly have skis of high quality for sub €500

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=206912

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Then you have the pain of lugging them through airport each trip etc and associated carriage costs. I could see point in buying ski boots but not skis

Ah it's just a little bit of extra luggage. I've this bag and you can get the rest of your luggage into it a wheel it through the airport, its no hassle.

I got boots first which were €300 and skis a year later were €600. I normally go skiing twice a year so I've made my money back. Not having to arrive in a resort and rush to rent is probably the biggest benefit. Rushing to see if boots fit right and not knowing until its too late.

Advertisement