Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Codeacademy alternatives?

• 28-05-2014 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm on my summer break now in the evening CS h.dip i'm doing, and am looking for ways to fill all this sudden glut of free time!

I've bought a Raspberry pi and am learning python through Codeacademy to experiment.

Also looking to start my own gaming blog, so have started on the HTML and CSS track on codeacademy.

Question is: Do you guys have any suggestions on where to go to find beginner level training in any of the following: Python, Java, HTML?
    Codeacademy looks good, but alternatives are always welcome.

Cheers for any and all advice.

Roy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jonster

w3schools is a nice alternative, it's mostly aimed a web-based technologies so plenty of HTML, JavaScript and CSS tutorials, however you won't find either Java or Python.

I've never used Python myself but when I was learning Ruby I used the Learn Ruby the Hard Way online book and found it really good to get my feet in the language, there is a Python equivalent, Learn Python the Hard Way also free online I believe.

As far as Java goes I'm not too sure. It's my main language that I learned while at college but I see others recommending codingbat.com for a similar experience to Codecademy. However looking at it briefly I don't think it's pitched at the absolute beginner.

May I ask why you choose Java? Outside of getting into Android development I wouldn't recommend anyone learn Java as I think it's got a steeper learning curve compared to languages like Python and Ruby and only comes into it's own when using other Java based stuff such as JSP, GWT, Android or frameworks like Spring.

Apologies I can't post links, my low post count doesn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

jonster wrote: »
    w3schools is a nice alternative, it's mostly aimed a web-based technologies so plenty of HTML, JavaScript and CSS tutorials, however you won't find either Java or Python.

I've never used Python myself but when I was learning Ruby I used the Learn Ruby the Hard Way online book and found it really good to get my feet in the language, there is a Python equivalent, Learn Python the Hard Way also free online I believe.

As far as Java goes I'm not too sure. It's my main language that I learned while at college but I see others recommending codingbat.com for a similar experience to Codecademy. However looking at it briefly I don't think it's pitched at the absolute beginner.

May I ask why you choose Java? Outside of getting into Android development I wouldn't recommend anyone learn Java as I think it's got a steeper learning curve compared to languages like Python and Ruby and only comes into it's own when using other Java based stuff such as JSP, GWT, Android or frameworks like Spring.

Apologies I can't post links, my low post count doesn't allow it

Hi,

Sorry, should have mentioned that i'm also interested in Java for creating android apps.
    Also choosing Java as this is the main language we are learning in the course, and i'd like to get ahead of the train before the new semester starts.

Cheers,

Roy.

Ah right, well I found thenewboston.org video tutorials really helpful when learning both Java and Android.

I'd recommend to make your way through most of the Java beginner tutorials, after that you should probably have enough of a grounding to start with Android dev.

I guess it all depends on your prefered way of learning. I enjoy sites like Codecademy for getting a taster of a language and then usually move onto a combination of video tutorials and books/pdfs and online docs. I can recommend other online resources if video tutorials aren't your style, just let me know.

jonster wrote: »
    Ah right, well I found thenewboston.org video tutorials really helpful when learning both Java and Android.

I'd recommend to make your way through most of the Java beginner tutorials, after that you should probably have enough of a grounding to start with Android dev.

I guess it all depends on your prefered way of learning. I enjoy sites like Codecademy for getting a taster of a language and then usually move onto a combination of video tutorials and books/pdfs and online docs. I can recommend other online resources if video tutorials aren't your style, just let me know.

I prefer things to be a little more hands on, so some online resources would be great!

Thanks,

Roy.

Well I just found learnjavaonline.org which looks like a nice interactive starter tutorial. They also have a python version.

Once you make your way through these you'll probably want to get set up with an IDE such as Eclipse (assuming you haven't already) and get stuck into coding some stuff yourself from scratch.

I can't see there being an interactive Android tutorial as such, since a lot of the development centers around running programs on the emulator or a real device so this is where using an IDE comes in.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have been using Eclipse as part of the course.

Just out of cruelty, the lecturer had us coding on notepad++ for two weeks before he introduced eclipse to us.

Very much a case of "where have you been all my life?!?" when i saw it.

Have created algorithms for stacks, queues, sorting, searching, etc. Basic stuff thus far.

Cheers for all the advice,

Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Try the Java Tutorials, at the risk of sounding sarcastic, you can google that to find the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

https://projecteuler.net/problems

Great site that'll help you improve your programming and how you approach problems. I've gotten through quite a lot of them and they're definitely worth a shot!

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Try the Java Tutorials, at the risk of sounding sarcastic, you can google that to find the link.

Hi Phil,

I'm happy with the suggestion, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Pluralsight is great, also Udemy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Codeavengers is a great site for building simple games from javascript, html and css.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

http://teamtreehouse.com is worth a look.

Advertisement