Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sexist ads, have you ever made a complaint?

• 09-01-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

The procedure for making a complaint about ads here in ireland is pretty easy to do. It's just an online forum on the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland's website, http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

With the rise in ads which have been showing men as hapless and stupid, have you ever reported an ad? Or felt like you might want to?

Would you/have you made a complaint about an ad? 81 votes

I have made a complaint about an ad.
    0% 0 votes
    I've tought about making a complaint but haven't so far.
    13% 11 votes
    I wouldn't make a complaint about an ad.
    23% 19 votes
    Advertising Jaguar.
    62% 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

No but I never hesitate to use them as ammo when I hear some wagon ranting about how using women to sell mens products are sexist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Wow. That had never crossed my mind.

The problem isn't ad content. It's ads.

They banned all outdoor advertising in São Paulo recently. No posters, no bus ads, no flyers etc...
    Right on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I never really pay attention to ads when it comes to any type of issue let alone sexism, however I made a complaint about an RSA AD one time, it was the one that was on the radio about a year or more ago, which was warning girls not to get into cars with guys unless they feel completely comfortable with their driving, it pretty much showed all men as little boy racers and irresponsible drivers whcih I took offense too I got a letter back saying as it was an information campaign that it didn't fall under their jurisdiction but they passed along the comments I think it got a high number of complains and it was pulled as it was only on for a short period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

18AD wrote: »
    They banned all outdoor advertising in São Paulo recently. No posters, no bus ads, no flyers etc...
    Right on!

Now there is a proposal I can endorse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd be more inclined to say, as yet I haven't really come across an ad that bothered me enough to put in a formal complaint in regards to it in reference to any subject.

Not really in a position to watch the example linked in the OP at the moment, but by the expression on the faces in the screencap, it looks like it is meant to be done in humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I've never complained about an advertisement and I don't think that I ever would unless it was really offensive. I have noticed the trend of how advertisements depicting men as complete morons has now become socially expectable for some reason. It consequently coincides with the new wave of female empowerment adverts with the Boots "Here Come The Girl's" campaign being the most obvious one.

In contrast advertisements depicting women as complete morons are extremely rare and the ones that are broadcast are usually taken off air just as quick because of the barrage of complainants that they receive from female viewers. This is just one example of an ad that got pulled even though it was obviously aimed at the lowest common denominator:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Same as Drav, Have never really been bothered by an ad, most adds that I have heard claim are extremely sexist I don't care about complaining as my view is private companies should be allowed advertise as sexist based as they like as it is up to the public to punish them by boycotting their product. If not a single woman purchases a Yorkie because of their "not for girls!" marketing then that is Yorkie's loss of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I think that Oven Pride ad is actually quite offensive to both sexes. Did you hear the woman's moronic, Barbie-esque laugh at the very end? I think that more than sexist, though, this is just a really bad ad.

Has this actually been aired? I'd be surprised if it ever sees the light of day. It doesn't look like a finished advertisement - the voice over needs to be redone and the visuals don't appear to have been touched-up (I've worked in marketing for quite a long time).

Maguined wrote: »
    If not a single woman purchases a Yorkie because of their "not for girls!" marketing then that is Yorkie's loss of revenue.

Would you really consider that sexist? I would say it's very tongue-in-cheek, not sexist. All that they were doing was embracing the fact that women don't typically buy Yorkies and making a joke out of it (and yes, I'm sure that women reading this will say they do in fact buy them but you're not its demographic).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm getting very tempted to make a complaint about that ad Nova keep playing for a bar which apparently has the "four things that are all a man thinks about"... not so much for that wonderful generalisation, more so for the fact the girl giving about her boyfriend going to said bar exclaims proudly at the end of the ad "so I slapped him!" as if her violence was something to be proud of...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

If I ever become a person that gets offended by a retarded ad campaign I will punch myself in the face.

When ever I see some of those dumb ass ads that portray men or women as morons its a case of this lil fella - :rolleyes: - and thats about it.

There are much better things to get in a flap about than a poxy ad tbh.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm getting very tempted to make a complaint about that ad Nova keep playing for a bar which apparently has the "four things that are all a man thinks about"... not so much for that wonderful generalisation, more so for the fact the girl giving about her boyfriend going to said bar exclaims proudly at the end of the ad "so I slapped him!" as if her violence was something to be proud of...

Youtube link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

crazyderk wrote: »
    I never really pay attention to ads when it comes to any type of issue let alone sexism, however I made a complaint about an RSA AD one time, it was the one that was on the radio about a year or more ago, which was warning girls not to get into cars with guys unless they feel completely comfortable with their driving, it pretty much showed all men as little boy racers and irresponsible drivers whcih I took offense too I got a letter back saying as it was an information campaign that it didn't fall under their jurisdiction but they passed along the comments I think it got a high number of complains and it was pulled as it was only on for a short period.

That one did my head in alright and I thought it was very sexist. Basically portraying ALL male drivers as boy racing w*****rs.

Could you imagine the opposite ad "Guys, do you want to get into a car with a woman who still has to do her make-up and will be using the rear-view mirror to put on lipstick while driving?" Yeah, it's ridiculous, but no more so than the ad about guys driving.

But then that's the way society is. It's apparently acceptable to say anything about men, but if you even raise an eyebrow about a woman, it's a case of "Sisters doing it for themselves" going on repeat and the pitch forks coming out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I've never complained about an ad, though I don't remember ever seeing one that bothered me to that extent. My attitude towards potentially offensive advertising is similar to Otis's - stupid, but not a big deal.

That isn't to say I wouldn't ever file a complaint. Though sexist advertising in itself doesn't bother me all that much, the double standard at play does.

If I was to report an ad, it wouldn't be case of "This offends me... Ban it immediately!", it'd be more "There's no way this would be allowed if the roles were reversed. So why is this being tolerated?" I realise that if I don't say anything, I'm playing my part in perpetuating this double standard.

And we can't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Nope.

I understand that ads are aimed at a target audience, and even though seeing Ryan Reynolds arse bounce across my TV may not appeal to me, I get that this may encourage people to buy a brand of Aftershave.

Somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Sleepy wrote: »

I lodged a complaint re that one. I was stunned to hear it, got an email acknowledging the complaint but that's it so far, but I haven't heard it on the radio in the last week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Ads in general are poorly written shite thats been concocted by some companies woefully unimaginative marketing department. On the few occasions I do watch tv I mute it during the breaks so they I don't have to listen to they shite they spew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There was a show on Newstalk a couple of years ago regarding depression and suicide amongst men in Ireland. The commentator (apologies I don't remember his name) had an interesting take into advertising. He said, especially for young men, that the image of men given in the media is so imasculating for men that and completely contrary to the reality that it leads young men to question their role in society.
    Since then I have paid attention to how men are represented and tbh if Aliens arrived tomorrow with only the media to go by they would be expecting a world ruled by women who look after the mildly retared males of the species who can do little other than make a mess of every task assigned to them while drinking beer and thinking about raping anything in a skirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fook you Road Safety Authority

RSA_He_Drives_She_dies_2015_display.jpgcampaign-she-dies.jpgmaleDrivers_188979t.jpg

But to answer the question, no I've never complained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

G-Money wrote: »
    crazyderk wrote: »

That one did my head in alright and I thought it was very sexist. Basically portraying ALL male drivers as boy racing w*****rs.

Could you imagine the opposite ad "Guys, do you want to get into a car with a woman who still has to do her make-up and will be using the rear-view mirror to put on lipstick while driving?" Yeah, it's ridiculous, but no more so than the ad about guys driving.

But then that's the way society is. It's apparently acceptable to say anything about men, but if you even raise an eyebrow about a woman, it's a case of "Sisters doing it for themselves" going on repeat and the pitch forks coming out.
    Well to tackle this double standard, perhaps men should air their grievances like the women in question do, rather than just doing what's said and thanked in post 2 here - if that's not parody, it's extremely un-self-aware.
    RSA ad was vile btw, so is that Nova one. So are lots of ads where men are portrayed abysmally - I remember a bank one where the woman giggles to her friend that she told her fella she was pregnant to freak him out as revenge for something trivial.

• Advertisement

Anybody got a link to the Nova one? Google isn't giving me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

The one which gets mentioned all the time is the diet coke break ad, if a similar ad was to be used next week, would you complain?

Sharrow wrote: »
    The one which gets mentioned all the time is the diet coke break ad, if a similar ad was to be used next week, would you complain?

Those diet coke ads weren't sexist though.

Just some good looking bloke getting oggled by a few women.

Thats supposed to be sexist?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Agreed, you really have to mangle the definition of 'sexism' to apply it to ads simply featuring sexually attractive people being sexually attractive.

======
    Re: the OP.
    I've never made a complaint about an advert, no.

Sharrow wrote: »

No. I've got no problem with ads that use sexuality to sell things. Same applies to the Hunky Dory ads that caused such a furore a while back.

Nothing sexist about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

No. I've got no problem with ads that use sexuality to sell things. Same applies to the Hunky Dory ads that caused such a furore a while back.

Nothing sexist about it.

Yet the new Lynx ad campaign got pulled a few months ago because they were seen as degrading to women, similar to the Hunky Dory ads.

Link

So in a nutshell it seems that men couldn't care less about being portrayed as sex objects, morons, etc in advertising campaigns but women on the other hand seem to be more offended by being mocked or objectified in similar advertising campaigns?

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yet the new Lynx ad campaign got pulled a few months ago because they were seen as degrading to women, similar to the Hunky Dory ads.

Link

So in a nutshell it seems that men couldn't care less about being portrayed as sex objects, morons, etc in advertising campaigns but women on the other hand seem to be more offended by being mocked or objectified in similar advertising campaigns?

I think there are some instances that warrant complaints - remember that rapey ad for cup a soup a while back - but I do think alot of it is people just looking for an excuse to get indignant about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think that's actually part of the point as far as a lot of men are concerned. We don't view it as sexist, but if you remember the recent debate about Largo foods, women found that ad to be extremely sexist, even though it was basically the same thing, which again, most men didn't find to be sexist.

So either, we're not sensitive enough, or some people are too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think that's actually part of the point as far as a lot of men are concerned. We don't view it as sexist, but if you remember the recent debate about Largo foods, women found that ad to be extremely sexist, even though it was basically the same thing, which again, most men didn't find to be sexist.

So either, we're not sensitive enough, or some people are too sensitive.

I think it has to do with the prominent view that men ogling at or commenting on a random womans attractiveness is harassment or inappropriate whereas women doing the same to men is just a bit of fun.

Perfect example of that in this ad for an Post.

A group of older women snap a picture of a good looking young guy in his swimming togs without his knowledge. The implication is that men don't mind this happening and apparently most really don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

How come a man is an expert on washing machines in a calgon ad but can't work one in a colour catcher ad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement