Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

• 22-08-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is for you posters that want to watch a particular game in Galway City or are wondering where your teams supporters go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The King's Head used to show United games on foreign channels but that's going back a couple of seasons. Not really sure of anywhere that definitely currently shows games.

I'll only get home from work in time for the 2nd half so there's no point in even thinking of heading to town to watch it. Will just have to make do with watching it online tonight and head into town for the game against Everton on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

LIving room used to show em. Give em a buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Tried ringing them there alright but no joy. Cheers anyway for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

I'd say fagans will have it on. Some sports bar if they don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Monroes might be a good bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

gd1987 wrote: »
    I'd say fagans will have it on. Some sports bar if they don't have it.

Tried ringing there aswell but they didn't, ended up just getting it on the laptop. Connected the laptop to the TV so it was actually grand. Better off this morning I didn't go in to town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

That slavic bar in Salthill, the one that no one can pronouce may have it. I think it is called Kzmca or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Does anyone know of a pub in Galway, preferably in the city, that will show tonights match?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dew drop shows most games, Living Room too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Thanks guys. It's just that this game is not on Sky Sports or Setanta, so only a few pubs that have Canal + will show it. I know there is one in Loughrea that shows all Man.Utd games, and foxes shows all Liverpool games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

Hullo,

I am going to watch a football match tonight...not my idea...so is there anywhere in Galway that is good for watching football? like somewhere that shows it in a beer garden or just comfy seats or good atmosphere. I heard kings head and living room are good but does anyone know anywhere else. Even somewhere in Salthill??
    TA!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

trends ie. cullinanes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The Living Room has plenty of screens so you've got little chance of having someone's head in your way. It's about the best in the city I think for watching matches. Certainly if someone knows of somewhere better, let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Fagans (underneath the Meyrick Hotel) has a ****load of screens but personally im not a fan....

Kings Head is good too, was there last night and it was comfortable

Living Room is good but its a while since i watched a match there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

Thanks for the suggestions, I think living room is winning so far :) What is this about cullinanes...? never heard of it?

I don't know if Cullinane's has changed since I was there last but it used to just be an oul fellas pub so it wouldn't be great for matches.

As for the Kings Head, I find that when there's live music on they often leave the drumkit set up which can obscure the big screen, the bar staff are generally clueless and there's no atmosphere in there for afternoon games when the place is infested with the soup, sandwiches and kids brigade. Now, it's been a couple of years since I watched a game there so things might have changed but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Terryland Pk. i hear is good too:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭biscuits1981

culliane or trends as its known is a good place to watch a match gone is the day of an auld mans pub will be good craic in there tonight cause there is alot of pool fans drinking in there and at half or even after full time u can have a game of pool would highly recom it,its located next door to bank of ireland and mocha beans

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

culliane or trends as its known .... it,its located next door to bank of ireland and mocha beans

What street/area is that in?

(I thought Cullinanes was the one on the corner of Edglington/Mary streets that's now closed. Must have the wrong name.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JustMary wrote: »
    What street/area is that in?

(I thought Cullinanes was the one on the corner of Edglington/Mary streets that's now closed. Must have the wrong name.)

It is located in Salthill village squeezed between BOI and Mocha Beans. Large glass enclosed porch entrance I think. The pub itself is certainly nothing special but they do have a fine pint of porter. Big horse-racing pub, the pool table is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I usually go to the Living Room if I'm watching football matches in town but sometimes go to the King's Head instead.

I've heard Fagans is really good but I've never been. Might see if the lads are up for trying it on Saturday for the game.

It often depends on the crowd that's in there. You could get a good atmosphere if a load of your team's fellow fans are in but, in contrast, you could get a load of clueless fools or ABUs mouthing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

As above, I'm looking for a good spot to watch the FA Cup final in Galway, and being an Everton supporter, would like to hopefully catch up with a few more supporters there.

I've seen plenty of Everton shirts around Galway, so there are a few of us around.

Any blues got any suggestions where things might be happening? Where will there be a few supporters?

Thanks in advance.

Col

For watching the game, the big screen upstairs in the Living Room is the best of a bad bunch I think.

As for what Everton fans will be doing or where they'll be meeting, I can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well as an Everton man myself I'll be heading to Massimos where the Chelsea Supporters club meet up.. should be a good buzz down there.
    :D

Well as an Everton man myself I'll be heading to Massimos where the Chelsea Supporters club meet up.. should be a good buzz down there.
    :D
    Is there a decent screen in Massimo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LaughterLoungeG

As a founding member of the Galway Chelsea fan club i would like to invite all Chelsea and Everton fans down to Massimo to watch the game. There are 4 x 40 inch plasmas around the pub, the two back rooms are great and the banter between the real blues fans and the scousers should be friendly enough.
    There'll even be chicken wings at half time.

Carefree CFC fan
    Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

As a founding member of the Galway Chelsea fan club i would like to invite all Chelsea and Everton fans down to Massimo to watch the game. There are 4 x 40 inch plasmas around the pub, the two back rooms are great and the banter between the real blues fans and the scousers should be friendly enough.
    There'll even be chicken wings at half time.

Carefree CFC fan
    Kevin

Might pop in at half time for a glass of water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Watch out for the super thick Chelsea fans who 'believe' they own the viewing positions along the bar . The ones who are not stuck to the bar are generally grand but the ones along the bar are neandarthals .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

:D @ mono, good one:)

Cheers for suggestions, and knew Massimo was Chelsea supporters pub. Don't really fancy there to be honest

But would be great to see a pub with a few Toffees for a change. Has been 14 long years since we last made a final.

Off topic, I've backed them at 7/1 to lift cup before the Man U semi;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Goalpost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement