Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A Neurotic wrote: »
    It's not that I can't explain, it's that you wouldn't understand...
    Did I accidentally click into The Fools' Thread? No! Ah, I must be in the Geniuses' Thread then, where anything can be explained and understood. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Isn't the plural of Genius, Genii?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

I can count to potato.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

My favourite colour is bacon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I'm so hardcore a History nerd, the 11th century Papal reform genuinely fascinates me..

BAM!

Dropping History knowledge like a Boss, a Mo'Fo' even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I can make noodles. I'm a geniuses because I read instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

It's not that I can't explain, it's that you wouldn't understand...

The 1st year engineers in Trinity have that printed on their hoodys. You don't want to be associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I was wondering where I'd heard it. I like it!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

In fairness C&H needed this thread, they're a great band

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's a shame I lost my USB memory stick a while ago. Otherwise, I could have posted up my 2nd year maths project, entitled "Romeo & Juliet; Shakespeare's Tragedy in Differential Equations"
    The basic idea was you model Romeo and Juliet's affection for each other in differential equations, make a few changes and see if there's any way they can live happily ever after.

Turns out there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's both amazing and depressing in equal measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Well actually, this really should be called "The Genii's Thread" as genii is the plural of genius.

God, don't you people know anything?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

*giggles* wrote: »
    Well actually, this really should be called "The Genii's Thread" as genii is the plural of genius.

God, don't you people know anything?:rolleyes:

That's a good question. As you may or may not know, there is some disagreement and controversy over the proper plural of the noun genius.
    In most cases, one can acceptably use geniuses as the plural. In fact, when referring to the "quality" of genius (as opposed to an individual possessing certain qualities or a certain nature), geniuses is the plural that one should normally use.
    However, when referring to an individual as a genius, the most correct plural is genii (that's three syllables). This is because genius is derived from Latin. It is the first-person masculine singular form of the word. The first-person masculine plural is genii.
    There is one additional, and rare, case where the plural genii should be used. This is the form of the word that comes from Roman mythology and refers to a guardian spirit of a person or place.
    If this is all a little too complex to remember and apply, just remember that geniuses will sound correct--even if not brilliant and erudite--in most cases. It's actually quite infrequently that the general populace uses the word genii. Gosh, it looks like I'm answering him directly here, when it is, in fact, a mere copy and paste job! Teehee!

Monzo wrote: »
    That's a good question. As you may or may not know, there is some disagreement and controversy over the proper plural of the noun genius.
    In most cases, one can acceptably use geniuses as the plural. In fact, when referring to the "quality" of genius (as opposed to an individual possessing certain qualities or a certain nature), geniuses is the plural that one should normally use.
    However, when referring to an individual as a genius, the most correct plural is genii (that's three syllables). This is because genius is derived from Latin. It is the first-person masculine singular form of the word. The first-person masculine plural is genii.
    There is one additional, and rare, case where the plural genii should be used. This is the form of the word that comes from Roman mythology and refers to a guardian spirit of a person or place.
    If this is all a little too complex to remember and apply, just remember that geniuses will sound correct--even if not brilliant and erudite--in most cases. It's actually quite infrequently that the general populace uses the word genii. Gosh, it looks like I'm answering him directly here, when it is, in fact, a mere copy and paste job! Teehee!

Copy/Paste ftw ;)

EDIT: F*ck you White text :mad:

Copying and pasting from Wiki answers, shame on you. That's copyright infringement my friend.

Besides, I wasn't even asking a question. You are literally too stupid to insult.

Copying and pasting from Wiki answers, shame on you. That's copyright infringement my friend

Always read the white print.

Always read the white print.

Always read the edited version before replying with your cynicism. And I did read the white print. Unlike some people, I don't have to google smart things to say.

Always read the edited version before replying with your cynicism. And I did read the white print. Unlike some people, I don't have to google smart things to say.

Jesus, who pissed on your corn flakes this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

*zip*

:o

• Advertisement

Calm down, I wasn't even trying to be cynical. Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream. Or for those of us less well off, a few chocolate digestives.

Calm down, I wasn't even trying to be cynical. Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream. Or for those of us less well off, a few chocolate digestives.

I agree. Strawberry ice cream is win. Haagen Dazs anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

We've had our first intellectual conflict. Come, gather children, and watch.

Phlegms...don't say it.

jumpguy wrote: »
    We've had our first intellectual conflict. Come, gather children, and watch.

Phlegms...don't say it.

I'm trying really hard not to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

phlegms wrote: »
    I'm trying really hard not to :(
    The fact that you bolded only that changes the pacing and makes it sound wrong. I'm afraid you've done it again.

Davidius wrote: »
    The fact that you bolded only that changes the pacing and makes it sound wrong. I'm afraid you've done it again.

Yeah, I know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Right, my brain is absolutely incapable of straight thought for the moment so a little help would be appreciated from all the geniuses/genii/whatever here -

Peptide bonds. They're between what atoms again? I'm drawing peptides from amino acids but can't rememeber the damn atoms they're supposed to be between.

Valine. Preferred conformation of the side chain? Are they on about beta sheets/alpha helixs etc. here or something else entirely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Hotaru wrote: »
    Right, my brain is absolutely incapable of straight thought for the moment so a little help would be appreciated from all the geniuses/genii/whatever here -

Peptide bonds. They're between what atoms again? I'm drawing peptides from amino acids but can't rememeber the damn atoms they're supposed to be between.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The resulting CO-NH bond is called a peptide bond

Is that the right answer?
    I'm assuming not because you surely googled before asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hotaru wrote: »

Valine. Preferred conformation of the side chain? Are they on about beta sheets/alpha helixs etc. here or something else entirely?

Peptide bonds are between the alpha-amino group of one amino acid and the alpha-carboxyl group of another, so AFAIK it's usually a C-N bond.

All I know on Valine (I say know, I'm actually looking at my Instant Notes Biochemistry Revision book) is that its side chain is aliphatic and hydrophobic, but chemically unreactive... not sure if that answers that question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Is that the right answer?
    I'm assuming not because you surely googled before asking.

It's kinda the answer. I wasn't sure whether it was C-N or O-N specifically.
    Peptide bonds are between the alpha-amino group of one amino acid and the alpha-carboxyl group of another, so AFAIK it's usually a C-N bond.

All I know on Valine (I say know, I'm actually looking at my Instant Notes Biochemistry Revision book) is that its side chain is aliphatic and hydrophobic, but chemically unreactive... not sure if that answers that question.

Thanks. It is a C-N bond, managed to find it eventually in amongst my lecturer's scrawl.
    As regards valine, I have no idea. I don't even know what they're asking. Tutorial work can be so... ugh.

Advertisement