Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppers or Today fm Ski trip?

• 14-10-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey lads,
    trying to organise a trip for myself and a few mates and we all came to the conclusion that despite the topflight tax, either of these could be a good bit of craic,

obviously as this is copper's first one nobody will have any info on it, so I'm wondering what Andora is like vs. Austria? I've been to Austria a couple of times and have to say the apres ski left a little to be desired, obviously this will be offset if we decide on the Today fm trip.

the Coppers trip (according to the topflight site) seems to have a lot more included, pass, rental, lessons etc vs the Today fm trip, so is Andora that much more expensive to offset the saving?

also any advice on what either Resorts are like slope wise? most of my mates would be very competent red slope skiiers, I would be very certainly the novice of the group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I've never been to Andora so can't help you, but interested to see where you were in Austria where the nightlife wasn't up to scratch? I've always enjoyed it. How many of you are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Both sound like absolute hell to me, but each to their own. I think its cause one bad hangover in Zell am Zee almost sent my boarding back a week.

You have a better chance of snow with the today fm trip since its late January, March in Andorra may not be great. Andorra is tax free i think so it will be cheaper. But the coppers one really does sound like an excuse to go on the piss.

I have no idea about the nightlife in Bad Hofgastien but you'll have plenty to drink with, there should be better skiers in that gang too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Andorra is not as cheap as it used to be, even all the interlinked resorts are still quite small and its difficulty is limited. Its snow record is also significantly poorer than most of the Austrian resorts! Its not the worst place in the world but I wouldn't be running back! Despite its extensive recent investments and it is still not so much cheaper than Austria to justify the difference in product.

Today Fm is in Bad Hofgastein I think, the Ski Amada is about 200km and some change will require busses etc between areas at times (Or used too)

Personally there are better options with much better value than both of these out there!!!! There is serious price gouging in relation to these trips, last year the topflight one was 250-400 more expensive than than the preceding weeks for pension accommodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Fattes wrote: »
    Andorra is not as cheap as it used to be, even all the interlinked resorts are still quite small and its difficulty is limited. Its snow record is also significantly poorer than most of the Austrian resorts! Its not the worst place in the world but I wouldn't be running back! Despite its extensive recent investments and it is still not so much cheaper than Austria to justify the difference in product.

Today Fm is in Bad Hofgastein I think, the Ski Amada is about 200km and some change will require busses etc between areas at times (Or used too)

Personally there are better options with much better value than both of these out there!!!! There is serious price gouging in relation to these trips, last year the topflight one was 250-400 more expensive than than the preceding weeks for pension accommodation!

Absolutely, an extended group of about 10 of us had initially planned to go on the tag trip but it's just crazy money and the consensus within the group was to give it a miss and try do our own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Russman wrote: »
    Absolutely, an extended group of about 10 of us had initially planned to go on the tag trip but it's just crazy money and the consensus within the group was to give it a miss and try do our own thing.

Ten of you will bring your own fun wherever you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

This year (and last) we went to Westendorf and this year was much less craic, snow wasn't great, very little irish (or english speaking visitors) there.

looking like 4 of us currently lined up to go, this years trip had 20+ but for various reasons most of the gang aren't gonna make it next year,

as much as we do all want to ski, a lot, the divilment & mingling is as much a part of the holiday, group of 20-something professionals away for a week etc.

the cost thing isn't a huge concern, we are all fully aware that either of these trips we are getting it on a plate from topflight price wise, and are willing to bite the bullet knowing we're guaranteed a bit of fun!

this year we spent a good bit extra for a nice pad in Westendorf, and were very happy we had done so as definitely had a lot of early nights and a few where we just stayed in, cooked and enjoyed one another's company

I dare say we would sleep under a bus stop next year (with a few gluhweins for warmth)

the more we all talk about it, the more likely it is we will end up on the today fm trip, as mentioned the standard of skiiers is likely going to be much higher, better chance of snow etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

A Coppers ski trip? To Andorra??! Haha you'd prob get more skiing in feckin Harcourt St! ;)

I met up with the Tag trip in Soll earlier this year. They had a great time, but they actually missed some of the best nights in the village because they were away in their hotel bar having 'organised fun'- defo not for me!

As above, a group of 10 is enough craic in itself if you go somewhere with good après! How much are the trips charging per week? I thing Tag in Soll was €1400, I nearly passed out! It would've cost about €850 to DIY. (And they would've had even more fun, IMO!) That said, those who went had a great time, and that's the most important thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

fannymagee wrote: »
    As above, a group of 10 is enough craic in itself if you go somewhere with good après! How much are the trips charging per week? I thing Tag in Soll was €1400, I nearly passed out! It would've cost about €850 to DIY. (And they would've had even more fun, IMO!) That said, those who went had a great time, and that's the most important thing :)

Not to go totally OT, but for someone who has skied before and still wants lessons, the tag trip this year is €1,479 for Kirchberg in mid March.

FM is there really that level of saving (give or take) to be made by going DIY on a ski trip ? Wow !!

YES!

Here are the sums I did last year for a week in Soll, all figures are approximate but you can definitely do it for well less than a grand if you go self catering ;-)

Flights: €200
    Accommodation: €550/300/200
    Lift pass: €200
    Ski rental: €60
    Ski School: €165
    Taxi Return: €60

Total Approx: €885 Apartment
    €985 B&B
    €1235 Hotel

(That hotel quote was from the Postwirt, which is my favourite hotel. If you're gonna spend that money, might as well do it in style!) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Do those prices include lift pass and rentals?

• Advertisement

I just looked at the tag trip and yes they're included on that, it's €1379. Today FM is priced depending on where you stay, but looks steep, don't think the extras are included but I didn;t look in-depth. Coppers trip is €899 so a much more reasonable price, but I doubt it's a trip for serious snowheads ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

fannymagee wrote: »
    I just looked at the tag trip and yes they're included on that, it's €1379. Today FM is priced depending on where you stay, but looks steep, don't think the extras are included but I didn;t look in-depth. Coppers trip is €899 so a much more reasonable price, but I doubt it's a trip for serious snowheads ;-)

Yea not my cup of tea but not the worst price with lift pass and rental included.

Yes exactly. It's a Fisher Price ski trip ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Have a look on the dolomites thread, another great deal with a belfast group

£600 for the full package

Still with top flight and realistic prices

Quii wrote: »

as much as we do all want to ski, a lot, the divilment & mingling is as much a part of the holiday, group of 20-something professionals away for a week etc.

the cost thing isn't a huge concern,

If cost is not a big concern, flights to Geneva, Swiss Pass rail to Verbier (CHF120), A three * catered chalet in Verbier and the Ferinert! Problem solved!

Other alternatives, St Anton, Mayrhofen or ValDisere, Tignes

Should all meet the requirements you have laid out and still be cheaper than giving Tony at topflight a wad of cash for sweet FA

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fenna

Anyone on here booked to go on this Copper Face Jacks trip? I paid off the balance this morning... They have booked 150+ so far as I know... Prob 140 lads and 10 women!!

Any tips on andorra from the ski heads?? I have been skiing once previously but that was to slovenia.

Let us know how you get on, Fenna!! And I wouldnt worry- I'd say there'll be a few wimmin alright..! ;)

I will do indeed.... Any idea on what Andorra is like??

Mostly modern infrastructure, and aimed at beginners and intermediaries, some nice runs and a few good terrain parks. Modern hotels and bars etc a lot of money invested in the last 10 years

Price wise pretty much equivalent to your entry level Austrian resorts for aimed at the same market but with access to cheaper duty free goods in large shops.

One of the resorts has a run that ends at a graveyard wall! It's just high enough (or was last time I was there) that you can hit it and end up in the graveyard!

Once the Apres Ski facilities are up to scratch I'll be a happy camper!!!

• Advertisement

Fenna wrote: »
    I will do indeed.... Any idea on what Andorra is like??

I was there once a looong time ago. Never went back. Nuff said ;)

BUT it was a long time ago, and it's a good call for the Coppers trip- you'll have a great time regardless of where you are :)

Ah sure its a trip out of here... It would have to go horribly wrong for me not to enjoy it!!!

Advertisement