Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One of my favourite ones for those do-gooding 'chuggers' who work on commission (they're not even volunteering!!!) for the likes of Concern et al on the streets is to earnestly, and with a total dead-pan straight face, is to shake their hand warmly, say "Jesus loves you" and walk off...

My other dodge was to smile, shrug and say "Pardonneiz moi, m'siuer, je ne pas parle Anglais" appologetically.... of course this backfired incredibly badly on me one day when the chugger in question responded, "Ah, monsieur, je parle Francais formidable! Je requeste un minuit de tu heure" or something to that effect... I then did a Del Boy Trotter on it, mumbled something at him (while looking like a goldfish with its mouth open) and walked sheepishly on.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

2010-10-04-Faithing-The-Facts.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

DazMarz wrote: »
    One of my favourite ones for those do-gooding 'chuggers' who work on commission (they're not even volunteering!!!) for the likes of Concern et al on the streets is to earnestly, and with a total dead-pan straight face, is to shake their hand warmly, say "Jesus loves you" and walk off...

"Chuggers" for concern don't work on commission...... Anyway meanwhile in the Vatican

independent-thought-alarm-300x224.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

vangoz wrote: »
    "Chuggers" for concern don't work on commission......

Alot of those style of collectors do work on commission, some of them get a base/day rate but they do get a commission for every person who signs up and stays signed up for a minimum time (I think it was 3 months for Bernardos when people I studied with worked for them). Concern maybe different? but most of them are similar. Anyway a topic for another thread, sorry for the OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

BishopsAgree0a.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

420329_10151382371230646_10150142097160646_23382435_1397638857_n.jpg

Not sure which side this one is arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

robindch wrote: »

More genius from l'onion, well worth a look if you missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I view life as depicted by The Onion in the same realm as life depicted by religion.
    Both kinda farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I think you will find, if you are willing to look calmly and deeply, that there is a great comfort and joy to be found in the Onion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My other dodge was to smile, shrug and say "Pardonneiz moi, m'siuer, je ne pas parle Anglais" appologetically....
    try 'sorry, i don't speak english' - it's worked for me a couple of times, the half second delay you get will give you time to get away.
    or 'sorry, i actually work for (insert name of charity here)' can help achieve the same effect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Notice the brainscan with the phone still stuck to her ear? Nice touch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

try 'sorry, i don't speak english' - it's worked for me a couple of times, the half second delay you get will give you time to get away.
    or 'sorry, i actually work for (insert name of charity here)' can help achieve the same effect.

My method: lock eye contact, shake head firmly, maintain eye contact, walk past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

pljudge321 wrote: »
    420329_10151382371230646_10150142097160646_23382435_1397638857_n.jpg

Not sure which side this one is arguing.

Very much pro-religion. We get annoyed when something goes wrong even though God/Jesus/FSM is doing their best to protect us.

amacachi wrote: »
    Very much pro-religion. We get annoyed when something goes wrong even though God/Jesus/FSM is doing their best to protect us.

I don't know.
    I mean, look at the size of god in the picture. He's big.
    But it looks like a bigger deity is throwing boulders at the poor mortal.
    What? There's something bigger than god. I thought that was impossible ... him being all onmi(insert word here) and all.

And another thing: didn't one of the stones make it past god and hit the believer in the head?
    Wait a second. That's not supposed to happen. Was god's judgement off? Did he make a mistake?
    Which leads to the question: what other mistakes has he made?

So I don't know. Maybe the cartoonist was on our side i.e. the side of reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In 2000 years time there will over 1,000 different atheist denominations disputing the interpretation of that graphic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My other dodge was to smile, shrug and say "Pardonneiz moi, m'siuer, je ne pas parle Anglais" appologetically....
    I speak Irish at them. It works a treat :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m1u73liJf21qihgjoo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Kivaro wrote: »
    I don't know.
    I mean, look at the size of god in the picture. He's big.
    But it looks like a bigger deity is throwing boulders at the poor mortal.
    What? There's something bigger than god. I thought that was impossible ... him being all onmi(insert word here) and all.

And another thing: didn't one of the stones make it past god and hit the believer in the head?
    Wait a second. That's not supposed to happen. Was god's judgement off? Did he make a mistake?
    Which leads to the question: what other mistakes has he made?

So I don't know. Maybe the cartoonist was on our side i.e. the side of reason.

God's only perfect when it suits to describe him as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I've been listening to the rather bizarre Dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen lately and came across this very odd clip. Enjoy.

198656.jpg

I have the music in my head. :D
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Scotland:

• Advertisement

From the "You just can't make this **** up" folder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17582542
    BBC wrote:
    An investigation is under way after indecent images were "inadvertently" shown by a Catholic priest during a presentation at a primary school in County Tyrone. [...] Parents said 16 indecent images of men were displayed. The priest said he had no knowledge of the offending imagery.[...] "He was visibly shaken and flustered," said the parents. "He gave no explanation or apology to the group and bolted out of the room. The co-ordinator and the teachers then continued with the presentation. [...] "Twenty minutes later he returned, he continued with the meeting and wrapped up by saying that the children get lots of money for their Holy Communion and should consider giving some of it to the church."
    Cracking picture of Mr Brady too.

From the "You just can't make this **** up" folder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17582542

Cracking picture of Mr Brady too.

What I don't get is this:
    16 indecent images of men were displayed

It wasn't an indecent image of 16 men, but 16 indecent images of men.
    No wonder he was "flustered" ................ because he never got to present pictures 17 to 32.

Think about it:
    Oops! The priest projects an indecent image of a man onto a screen.
    Well, that could happen to anyone (right?).
    So let's see what the next image looks like?
    Yikes! Another indecent image.
    Let's try again, and again, and again ........................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Kivaro wrote: »
    What I don't get is this:

It wasn't an indecent image of 16 men, but 16 indecent images of men.
    No wonder he was "flustered" ................ because he never got to present pictures 17 to 32.

Think about it:
    Oops! The priest projects an indecent image of a man onto a screen.
    Well, that could happen to anyone (right?).
    So let's see what the next image looks like?
    Yikes! Another indecent image.
    Let's try again, and again, and again ........................

Reminds me of :

http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/an-interesting-class-lesson.html

(Not sure if you can see that without a US proxy but basically a scene from Family guy where the teacher "accidentally" shows a sex tape he and his wife made to the class)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

552706_10150651698351840_21785951839_9583634_857664792_n.jpg

Religion nearly gets too much for Alan Davies on QI:

tumblr_m1vlie8WsV1r4355oo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Religion nearly gets too much for Alan Davies on QI:

Pity it's such a short clip. I was really getting into it.

yfl3R.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

3naZz.jpg

tumblr_m1xg9kxLXL1qgep5so1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

ZOMGitsCriss disses god and shows off some of her etchings:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement