Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DVD's getting scratched?

• 15-02-2003 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed that the picture on one or two of my DVD's get 'blocky' for a few seconds at certain scenes and I was wondering if this is being caused during to abrasions on the disk surface.

I had this happen too one disk and I cleaned the disk with a tissue and it solved the problem. However when the problem occured on another disk I repeated the process but it didn't fix the problem. Why is this?

One thing I noticed was that on the the disk that was fixed the 'blocks' were reduced to red/green/blue in colour where as on the disk that I COULDN'T sort out the blocks remained the same colours as the area of the picture in which they represented. Also when these blocky errors came the audio went out of sync with the pic which didn't happen to the first disk.

Anyone else had similar problems with dvd pic getting a bit messed up like this? Is the DVD in question beyond repair now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Its not always the disc, consider cleaning the laser inside your player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I had this problem a few years back. The picture would start freezing and blocky and eventually my DVD player wouldn't play any discs. Turns out my laser was faulty. However I've had it since and a spin of the DVD disk cleaner solves the problem.

Advertisement