Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fran

The Montague restaurant is a French Style Brasserie. I have been to it before using the Ezyliving guide. Great value. I saved €20.00 off my bill. I will definitely go back.

PS: anyone who eats out alot should check out www.ezyliving.ie offers great discounts in restaurants and activities in Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.

If you want to eat out, save money but don't necessarily want to go early the ezyliving guide is ideal. I got it through my work social club for €25.00

Another recommendation I would make is Papaya on Ely place. Thai - really good - excellent food and service. And great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was at Boticellis' last week, service was good, food was plain. Won't be going again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is any good Italian restaurants in Dublin city.

Yes, Enzos on Fairview Strand is excellent.

Blub2k4

I have also been to Da Enzos on Fairview.

It is a great little Trattoria style restaurant. I liked the way they give you the small appetizer and then the ice cream between the two courses, I was very impressed with this place.

I am not trying to be smart but I saved myself €24.00 there using the ezyliving guide, only last Thursday night.

Seriously for all your restaurant goers check it out. www.ezyliving.ie

I have discovered some great restaurants in it, that I never knew even existed.

Also Lisa Trattoria Restaurant over in Terenure is a lovely spot. Excellent Italian Food. Highly recommended by the Italian Embassy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

fran wrote:
    Blub2k4

I have also been to Da Enzos on Fairview.

It is a great little Trattoria style restaurant. I liked the way they give you the small appetizer and then the ice cream between the two courses, I was very impressed with this place.

I am not trying to be smart but I saved myself €24.00 there using the ezyliving guide, only last Thursday night.

Seriously for all your restaurant goers check it out. www.ezyliving.ie

I have discovered some great restaurants in it, that I never knew even existed.

Also Lisa Trattoria Restaurant over in Terenure is a lovely spot. Excellent Italian Food. Highly recommended by the Italian Embassy......

Hi Fran, yes I have to admit that this place was a good find, was not overly expensive and I was very impressed with the sorbets between courses to clean the pallette. I used to work in the restaurant trade as a waiter and have done a bit of cooking too so consider myself pretty hard to please but this place was definitely a good un on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dusty14

Hey Fran

I have come across that ezyliving guide through our social club at work. I have used it a couple of times so far and already it has paid for itself and saved me some money - all good in my book! :) . We used it in prima donna one night, great place if you want some music and atmosphere. Also planning on trying a couple of the activities

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Went to a great restaurant last night been loads before because the food and service is so good. Unfortunatly it was it's last night last night but there is a cafe of the same name there during the day, definatley worth a try.
    Cafe Metzo, Prussia st. [thats just up from the quays or just off north circular rd.]

Highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kobrien

Dublin

been loadsa times to:

Da Pino
    best pizza in dublin. Lovely spag bol. apparently the paella is fab too. VERY reasonable.

Zaytoon
    best kebabs in dublin. nice atmosphere for a 'fast food' place.

Acupulco
    best nachos. some of the mains are nice, some aren't great.

been a couple of times to:

IFI - bar/restaurant
    great food, nice atmosphere, extremely cheap!

Odessa
    great nachos, mains are ok, nice relaxed atmoshpere downstairs, early bird menu is good value.

been once to:

Siam Thai
    tasty food, but very pricey (mains are 19 plus an extra 3 quid for rice..)

Steps of Rome
    Did the 7.80 early bird, while it wasn't terrible, the food was just too salty and the pasta too bland and overcooked. Wouldn't go back.

Salamanca
    Yummy tapas. Recommended.

The Market Bar
    Interesting bar food menu. Food wasn't as great as it sounded on the menu, but very reasonable.

FXB
    Good value early bird. Pretty good food.

Cafe-Bar-Deli
    Pretty decent food, nothing spectacular. Good value. (no bookings)

Waterford

been loadsa times to:

Tuk Tuk Thai
    very tasty and reasonably priced (tiger prawns in red curry is my fave). Recommended!

Haricots
    wholefood restaurant. Can be very good. Was disappointed once or twice tho.

been once to:

La Palma
    Didn't think it lived up to the hype. Overpriced.

Chez K's
    Food was pretty good - nothing spectacular. Did the early bird which was good value.

Galway

been once to:

Couch potatas
    good food, very reasonable, HUGE portions.

Cork

been once to:

Bully's (Douglas)
    The food was good but not great. Average prices

Eco-Douglas (Douglas)
    Gorgeous food. Very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kobrien

..also been to a few D15 restaurants:

La Terazza (Blanchardstown Village)
    V good pizzas. Ok pasta. Recently hiked up their prices, but still OK value.

Don Lorenzos (Blanchardstown Village)
    OK pasta. A bit overpriced.

Trentuno's (Castleknock Village)
    hmmm, I've been here a few times. On my first two visits the food was pretty nice. The last few times I've gone it hasn't been great. Not such a big fan anymore..

The 12th Lock
    Great bar food menu. Thai chicken curry is lovely. Same for the Nachos. V good value. This would be my first choice of places to eat out in the Blanchardstown area.

I went out to the Pink Elephant Thai Restaurant in Swords last night. It was lovely. Though obviously being Monday night, there wasn't many people in the restaurant but the food and the service was good. I would recommend the Massaman Curry - It was Truely Scrumptous!!!!

Oh yeah Of course I used my ezyliving guide and saved more money. €15.00 this time!!

Dusty14 You have the Ezyliving guide, would you recommend any other restaurant?

Has anyone else used the it???

Check out www.ezyliving.ie - Oh if you type in 'BOI' as the discount code you will get a discount, should be €25.00. I bought it through my work social club and got the discount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dibs

crowbar wrote:
    wow, only one mention of a thai restaurant so far in this thread, amazing! thai food has got to be one of my most favourite styles, which you seem to be able to get everywhere in the world. (it is much better in thailand though :-)

in dublin i quite like diep le shaker, behind the pembroke pub off baggot st lower. fairly expensive, but the food was nice and spicy last time i was there. the chilli club on anne's lane is delicious too, possibly the best in dublin. but definitely book ahead as it's tiny. you'll have fewer problems with bookings in the bangkok cafe on parnell st, it's funny having to knock on the door to get in though! some friends who went there recently thought it used to be better though.

people recommend baan thai in ballsbridge, but i've never managed to get a booking.

for a quick indian lunch, you can't beat the lunchtime menu at khan's in donnybrook. €10 for a very decent curry, chickpeas and rice. they recognise us there now, and make our jalfrezis a little bit hotter! for dinner, they let you bring your own wine - a brilliant concept that is sooo foreign here ...

We all went down to Dublin a few months ago for a girly weekend and went to Diep Le Shaker for a meal - absolutely beautiful grub...love the Dim Sum !!!!

fran wrote:
    The Montague restaurant is a French Style Brasserie. I have been to it before using the Ezyliving guide. Great value. I saved €20.00 off my bill. I will definitely go back.

PS: anyone who eats out alot should check out www.ezyliving.ie offers great discounts in restaurants and activities in Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow.
    If you want to eat out, save money but don't necessarily want to go early the ezyliving guide is ideal. I got it through my work social club for €25.00

2 questions:

The Montague phone number doesn't work. Hasn't for a week or two now. Is it closed down? I'm not around that area so I can't go by and check. Any help here would be great cos I planned on trying it this friday night for the early bird!

The Eazyliving scheme - what's the deal with it? I see it's good but the website has confused the hell outa me. There's a guide and a card. Do you buy both? Are both limited to 1 visit per restaurant? And why does the card work for 'formal' restaurants only?! Is there some distincion between the geographical location of most restaurants and the small list of those under formal? The more I look the more confused I get.

Thanks in advance.

Bri

I don't know if Montague has closed down. I was in it a while back, so I have no idea.

As for the ezyliving programe. Basically you get a book (the ezyliving guide) and an ezyliving card (which is like a cr card)

The book is full of vouchers that you can pull out and hand over when availing of the offers. The card goes with the formal section that is in the book. Basically this section is for restaurants who are a bit more pricey than the other ones, or restaurants who have won awards. So instead of handing over a voucher, you hand over the card - the restaurants mark of the relevant number to them. (I suppose it is a status thing - and it works quite nicely really)

Each voucher/card number can only be used once.

However I went back to Prima Donna a second time and just got chatting to the girl serving us. I told her I had seen it first in the ezyliving guide and she gave me a further €20 off my bill the second time around!!!! Not bad

I hope that info helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

Indian Food - Meghna Tandoori, Terenure. - I have eaten in many many Indians both at home and abroad, as its my favorite food and this is the best and most consistent. Not your fancy pants trendy Indian like, Jaipur, vermillion, Shalimar, poppadum etc...this is normal Indian....madras, dopiaza, dansak, bhunas, tikka masala etc

Thai Food - Thai House in Dalkey or Baan Thai in Ballsbridge - Again I'm a big big fan of Thai food and have tried them all in this city and found these two to be the best although its a long long time since i was in Diep le Shaker and would like to revisit. Diep Noodle in ranalagh is another favorite.

Italian Food - Antica Venezia in Ranalagh, Cafe Topolis in Parliamant st or Nico's in dame street. All excellent

Chinese Food - Quality in the Good World in dame street is always good. Kites was also excellent on a recent visit and Furama in Donnybrook is also very good.

Mexican Food - Acapulco, although there's not a lot of competition in Dublin.

Japanese Food - Wagamama, South King Street.

Vietnamese - Ho Sen in temple bar is the only one i know of and it was crap on my recent visit

General - Luigi Malones in temple bar is a good all rounder or FXB's too.

Jesus I eat too much.... :eek:

fran wrote:
    I don't know if Montague has closed down. I was in it a while back, so I have no idea.
    Luckily it hasn't - just all the online numbers are the same and they're different to the working one. Looking forward to trying it out!
    fran wrote:
    As for the ezyliving programe. Basically you get a book (the ezyliving guide) and an ezyliving card (which is like a cr card)...Each voucher/card number can only be used once. I hope that info helps
    Yes cheers. Makes a lot more sense now. Pity it's not annual from date of purchase but I'll still think of getting it cos of the value.

Thanks again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Bri have you decided on somewhere to go?

Went to Alamo in Temple Bar. Great Mexican, really enjoyed the Qusedillas (sp?) for starters and took the surf and turf as recommended. Staff were friendly enough. Unfortunately my chair was broken but I swapped it myself. No big deal as Mexican food is generally alot more relaxed.

Only complaint would be the proximity to everyone else!

Still very much recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr.Been

Bri wrote:
    Went to Alamo in Temple Bar. Great Mexican, really enjoyed the Qusedillas (sp?) for starters and took the surf and turf as recommended. Staff were friendly enough. Unfortunately my chair was broken but I swapped it myself. No big deal as Mexican food is generally alot more relaxed.

Only complaint would be the proximity to everyone else!

Still very much recommended.
    I am going for a meal this Saturday in Buclody Co. Wexford a restaurand called Cafe' Mediterrano.
    Has anyone else been there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Mongolian BBQ in temple bar.. its a good concept.. was there for lunch today and it was €10.99 or so for all you can eat buffet..
    You go up.. pick what you like (veg/meat) and pick spices/herbs and also sauce... bring to to BBQ where its done for you in a few mins... its nice and there should be rice waiting for you when you get back. So sounds cool

Problem though is it was not great today!! Dont eat meat except fish and no fish or Tofu :(
    Service was slow for rice and stuff

Still the food is nice as long as you know enough about food to put the right sauce and seasoning on it. otherwise it might be tasteless.

Wife from the states and there is one there that has a huge beffet.. will go when i go for Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 macG

Hey Fran / Bri, The Montague is alive and kickin was there again on thursday evenin and was quite busy! They have changed the menu's as well with a new early bird, but I was too late so had a John Dory special, I was Billy no mates but enjoyed it none the less!!! Got a business card from 'Tony' (should I put the number up here or is there rules against that?)

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask ye, has anyone eaten in Dunne and Crescenzis on Frederick street? I'm going there tomorrow and wouldn't mind some selection tips!!!!!

Mongolian BBQ: Agreed - great concept, good fun and reasonable. But limited service, etc. They only had 1 starter available - which really wasn't worth it considering there was a buffet waiting! The deserts were poor. My 'sorbet' was basically badly defrosted bland ice-cream and I couldn't even start eating it. Had to return it I'm afraid. But I did enjoy the main course idea alot. One for yourself and a gang of mates not a special night!

macG: Great to hear it's still open. I might try go this weekend. Would you mind putting up the number - I don't think it's against rules - because it would be handy to have. Sorry never eaten in Fredrick St.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Well i am suprise that no one has mentioned

Pizza Stop.

It's Near brussels off of grafton st.
    My fav italian in dublin. Nice pizzas, great pasta , full licence, and i do like my italian plonk too =)

Staff are excelent, and the price is very hard to beat

Montague restaurants number for Bri, Fran and all else is 01-4781600...
    Its a Bistro, lovely food relaxed atmosphere, and the best early bird I've ever seen...

had Lunch in Dunne and Crescenzis, was nice but they make you feel that you have to be in and out in seconds, taking peoples plates away the second they are done, even if noone else was finished etc. I know its business but I thought they were a bit overboard.
    Food was lovely though, real Italian stuff, nice house wine and reasonabley priced.
    A friend told me it isn't as hectic during dinner and that I may have been unlucky. But definitely worth the visit if you can avoid the rush hour...

New restaurant on Kildare St. (in Bruno's old building opp. the Shelbourne)

Called Town (townbarandgrill.com) - top notch food and not for a bad price at all. Really really tasty, fairly small but nice staff and just had an extended lunch from 2:30 to 5:30 without being pushed out of the restaurant at all. Fairly busy considering it's about 2 weeks old. Only downer was no Swordfish despite being on the menu; maybe we ate a bit late for that!

Big thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭errigal

A new restaurant has opened on Aungier St in Dublin...would highly
    recommend it.

It's called Darwins - ate their during the week (early bird Mon-Fri until 7
    20euro for 2 courses, 25euro for 3)
    Menu is fab, food was fab, Decor fab... they also have a fine lunch menu
    and pretty reasonable too.

The Bread and Butter pudding with Baileys sauce is mmm mmm....

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WNG

Myself and seven other middle age golfers are staying in Tullamore in the second week of May 2005. We would appreciate any advice on good quality restaurants and bars, websites if possible. We'll probably eat in a different place every night within Tullamore so any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭wrafter

In Dublin my favourite was always this .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barkeeper

Check out http://www.barkeeper.ie there are some great recipes from restaurants in Dublin, and things about cocktails as well. You might find it interesting... :)

Advertisement