Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

How did you stay calm?!!!

• 19-11-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

My wedding is less than two weeks away and a slight panic has set in today because of all the stuff I need to do between now and the wedding. Now it is all minor things and most of it will not be noticed on the day by anyone else but me. So, obviously, I shouldn't be worrying about it.

But the nerves are getting the better of me.

So here is my question to all those out there who have organised a wedding. How did you stay calm in the weeks before the wedding? What did you do to knock some sense into yourself when you started to get worried about ridiculous things?

I appreciate any insight, as I would like to enjoy the run up to my wedding! And, by the way, thanks to those on the wedding, marriage and civil partnership forum for all the handy tips along the way. I found the answer to so many of my wedding-related questions on this forum!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Without knowing your situation, ask a friend, sister or the bridesmaids to give you a dig out. They're little things, they shouldn't be too hard for them. Take a drink of water every time you get a bit stressed, count to 10 breathing slowly, or get some fresh air. It all works out ok on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Just tell yourself that it will all work out in the end and remind yourself that when its all over and you look back you want to know that you enjoyed the build up to the day and the day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I stayed calm by making a list and putting EVERYTHING on it no matter how small. Wrote beside each thing when it had to be done by and if anything could be done by fiancé or my mam and asked them to do those bits. It'll all work out honest, deep breaths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

At the end of the day its going to be about the two of you and thats it the rest is just stuff that happens or doesn't happen no big deal! 3 days before our wedding I hadn't got a ring and we didn't have a menu! It will all work itself out no need to stress about it. Two weeks is ages anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I'm getting married in 6 weeks and have organised everything from abroad.

When we land in Ireland less than 2 weeks before the wedding we have to meet with the Registrar, meet the priest, call to the florist, finalise the details of the day, check out the Church layout, meet with the hotel and see the reception room, decide on wine, meet the DJ, finalise stuff with the photographer, get my dress pressed, and then everything will close for Christmas.

So far, our marriage paperwork has gone missing but I think we've located it through FedEx - the priest is on the case.

So, OP, it could be worse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I stayed calm by making a list and putting EVERYTHING on it no matter how small. Wrote beside each thing when it had to be done by and if anything could be done by fiancé or my mam and asked them to do those bits. It'll all work out honest, deep breaths

^^^^this. And spreadsheets. There's a special kind of calm that descends when everything is laid out on a spreadsheet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Delegate as much as you can. Use task lists and cross stuff off. Exercise and do yoga, it's a great way to clear your mind and get your mind off the wedding and de-stress...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I have to second the peeps above and say 'to do' lists and spreadsheets are your best friends. I organised my lists by day and made sure everything was checked off each night. It helped me stay focused on what exactly still needed doing, plus there is a special joy that comes with crossing something off a to-do list.

Also a spreadsheet can be really helpful for money paid and due as this can sometimes get lost in the mix. Both the make-up artists and hairdresser commented that I was the most relaxed bride they'd ever seen the morning of the wedding but it was literally because I had been so organised up to the night before. There might be loads to do the few weeks before but it's so worth getting it done when the morning of you can just relax and enjoy yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

Thank you for the good advice darling boardsies! Some very practical stuff there.

Yeah I actually have all my lists, but I reorganised them today so I would have it written down what day I would do stuff on because until now I had been working week by week. I feel calmer already! I have also worked out some stuff that can be delegated or not done at all. Yay!

To those who had big things to do right up to the wedding, thanks for sharing those. You have put my woes into perspective!

Okay, An Bhanríon, take a few deep breaths. Nobody is going to die if you do not find that pearl bracelet to exactly match your pearl necklace...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

I am reading this in prep for my own, wish I could help im mad to do something but ours is too far away.. What kind of pearly bracelet are you looking for them perhaps we could help.. We me and the other people in my head haha but you know what I mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I stayed calm by thinking that the day itself didn't really matter all that much, at least to me. It wasn't about the wedding, the marriage is what's important. In the beginning I worried about the dress and how I'd look and what other people would think. Then I realized none of it mattered. I wanted to get married because I love my husband, because I wanted to be his wife. I wanted to have that commitment. All the rest was decoration.

I ate a cheeseburger on my wedding day for dinner. I love cheeseburgers. It wasn't classy and it wasn't a five course sit down meal but I didn't need to impress people. I needed to have a wonderful day with the man I love.

I'm not at all saying that planning a wedding isn't stressful or that it's wrong to be stressed. What helped me though was focusing on the positive and the fantastic - I became a wife. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kennedy123

I know how you feel, I'm getting married on sat, I'm not generally a stressful person but then there is so much involved at sure a high cost it can get the better of you. try and set yourself daily tasks, try not to concentrate on everything you have to do between now and you wedding, do one thing at a time. once a task is done ,tick it of you list and move on to the next task. you want to do as much as early as you can as the few days running up to the wedding you want to relax. its perfectly normal to be stressed, your planning sure massive event. best of luck with the planning,I'm sure it will turn out perfect. if I can be of any help, gust let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Why would you get stressed... My wedding is in 6 weeks... I have to get shoes for flower girls and bridesmaids, get flowers sorted and then that's it... Nothing else to do, like what little bits are you talking about?

Advertisement