Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

uniform at wedding?

• 18-11-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

My friend is a serving soldier. His divorced father is getting married again and has asked his son (my friend) to be the best man. The question being asked is should he wear his uniform, or just a regular suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

Surely he would just ask his father what he wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

don't think there is any he should or he shouldn't.. it is up to what the man getting married himself wants him to wear... I know myself I wouldn't be too fussed about having him in uniform but then I don't like fighting and all that goes with it so that's just me. The man getting married might have different views

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I think he should wear his uniform myself,, it is not something that should be dictated by someone else,, would you ask a scottish person not to wear a kilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

superman28 wrote: »
    I think he should wear his uniform myself,, it is not something that should be dictated by someone else,, would you ask a scottish person not to wear a kilt?

Why should he decide? Should it not be the decision of the B&G only what the bridal party wear? Fair enough for an ordinary guest, but for the best man, surely it should be something for the B&G to decide?

Personally if it was me, I wouldn't want someone turning up in their work uniform at my wedding, especially one that represents war, but that's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have seen serving soldiers wear their dress suits at weddings. If he wants to, and his father is happy to have him wear it, I think they look very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

superman28 wrote: »

Yes :confused:. Our best man is Scottish and he'll be wearing the suit we picked out.

OP, your friend should ask his dad. That's the only way he'll know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yep like Faith said its up to the groom. I would not go assuming he should or shouldn't wear anything. Just because he has a suit it means nought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is his father a serving soldier also? I have only ever seen a groom wear number 1's at his own wedding, not at anyone elses. And I thought that the groom only wore them if he was getting married in the barracks church or if the defence forces was having an input into the day (eg ceremony being held in barracks, guard of honour etc).

Also your friend might have to check with his superiors if he is actually allowed wear his uniform if he is not on official duty...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭fits

I actually think it might be against protocol unless its his own wedding. I'm not sure though. See no reason why the best man should wear number ones if the groom is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

fits wrote: »
    I actually think it might be against protocol unless its his own wedding. I'm not sure though. See no reason why the best man should wear number ones if the groom is not.
    An officer wore his suit at a friend's wedding some years ago. It was a black tie wedding, but he wore his dress uniform. He wasn't in the bridal party, just a normal guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

theres the done thing and then things that are done. this is one of the latter I would have said.

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/do-you-have-to-let-military-groomsmen-wear-their-dress-uniforms/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not sure what the protocol is here, but at home I've been to weddings where the male members of the bridal party wore No.1's. One was an RAF wedding, the other was Army. I've seen my uncle's wedding pictures where he married in No.1's complete with bulled shoes and white gloves. The men looked wonderful!

Perhaps the friend should speak to his CO and find out what the form is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Military protocol is that dress uniform is appropriate in circumstances where civilian men would wear white tie, or black tie (evening dress) or formal morning dress. But if civilians are wearing ordinary business suits/loungs suits (or something more casual) then dress uniform is not appropriate.

So the question here is, what will the groom wear? If he wears a business suit, then a best man in dress uniform will be inappropriate, and will look like he is trying to upstage the groom. But if he wears black tie, white tie or morning dress, then a military man may (but does not have to) wear dress uniform as an alternative. In this case the best man should do what the groom prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Maybe I'm totally missing something here but I always thought that you'd only wear uniform if you were the actual groom :confused:

I think it would take attention away from his father if he was to turn up in full uniform, it's not his wedding so why would he do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Maybe I'm totally missing something here but I always thought that you'd only wear uniform if you were the actual groom :confused:

I think it would take attention away from his father if he was to turn up in full uniform, it's not his wedding so why would he do it?
    That might be a reason why he'd choose not to wear military dress, or why the groom would ask him not to. But as far as military protocol goes, on an occasion on which, as a civilian, he's wear black tie, then he can wear military dress instead - even if he's just a guest at a black tie event.

Advertisement