Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due November 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

How is everyone getting on? Very quiet in here! Must be all busy sharing your news! Everyone knows about our news, such a lovely feeling!
    Has anyone starting buying stuff? I know it super early, but I'm finding it hard to resist. We plan on baby wearing and using cloth nappies so through all my research I have come across some really pretty items. I know they will be still be there in a few months but I want them now!

Very quiet indeed hopefully that means hospital will be nice and quiet in November ;-)

It's a great feeling to let the cat out of the bag!
    I don't have much to buy apart from a new buggy which will hold my son too.

How are you feeling? My energy levels are much better, 14 weeks today :-)

On my last pregnancy the weeks flew from 12-20 so I'm hoping the same happens again.

Booked in for our anomaly scan on the 9th of July........Roll on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I've been feeling normal pretty much throughout, expect for tiredness here and there. I have noticed over the last couple of days I have been able to stay up a bit later!
    These are my first and since we don't know many people with kids we will have to buy everything.

My anomaly scan isn't until the 11th July, no idea how I will last that long though. Saw the babies every week from 6weeks so will probably go for a private scan around 16weeks and maybe find out the genders too. Haven't fully decided if we want to know yet though! How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Have been telling people at work this week and the reactions are so lovely! I texted a few people last night that I hadn't had the chance to speak to during the day and got full essays texted back from a couple of the lads who've had kids lately!

Have had to admit that my jeans are just the wrong side of comfortable so pick up a set of waistband expanders. Delighted with them because I really wasn't impressed with the range of maternity trousers.

Haven't bought any baby stuff yet, but have been researching like mad! Does anyone have any experience of using a sling? I think I'd like to try it, but they seem pricey for something I might only use a couple of times. Can anyone recommend a particular style / brand?

Actually now that you mention it I've been staying up later too, I'm usually in bed by 9.30!
    I have my consultant appointment on Thursday and they usually give you a quick scan at that so will be nice to see baby again!

I'm definitely finding out if we can, I am really looking forward to finding out, I don't mind at all what we have, Either will be great :-)

I had gestational diabetes on my first pregnancy so I expect to be transferred over to the diabetes clinic on Thursday, We shall see though I might get away with it.

Oh on my son I started buying bits from 20 weeks.

I've been wearing maternity jeans for the last few weeks too. It's a great excuse to let it all hang out ;)

I'm a newbie too when it comes to slings etc, the advice I've gotten so far is to go to one of the baby wearing meet ups. You can rent slings from baby wearing ireland too, seems pretty reasonable. I'm planning on getting a carrier for when I am out alone, I want to get this one and then a stretchy wrap for the first few months when wearing one. Like a moby wrap- they are quite cheap about 50€ or so. And my boyfriend is going to get a carrier for himself too. Probably a mei tei or similar. There's is so much info out there and everyone seems to think they know best, so I am just going to go with what I feel happier with.

We are really burning the midnight oil, aren't we! My staying up late is 10-30. :) I don't mind either, although I would like one of each, having two of the same would probably be easier.

• Advertisement

I've been wearing maternity jeans for the last few weeks too. It's a great excuse to let it all hang out ;)

I'm a newbie too when it comes to slings etc, the advice I've gotten so far is to go to one of the baby wearing meet ups. You can rent slings from baby wearing ireland too, seems pretty reasonable. I'm planning on getting a carrier for when I am out alone, I want to get this one and then a stretchy wrap for the first few months when wearing one. Like a moby wrap- they are quite cheap about 50€ or so. And my boyfriend is going to get a carrier for himself too. Probably a mei tei or similar. There's is so much info out there and everyone seems to think they know best, so I am just going to go with what I feel happier with.

We are really burning the midnight oil, aren't we! My staying up late is 10-30. :) I don't mind either, although I would like one of each, having two of the same would probably be easier.

I had to buy maternity work trousers as mine were bet on to me and was just very uncomfortable!
    I never used slings so I'm no help but I think there is a Facebook page for sling wearers so maybe look into that.
    At the weekend I'm a real dare devil and stay up until about 11.30 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Typing on my phone and losing my reason! Thank you for the really useful info, orchidsrpretty. I attempted to quote it, but the whole thing combusted...

Had my first hospital appointment this evening and got a cheeky ultrasound! Student midwife needed some practice and I wasn't in a hurry. Got three lovely pics, so am delighted. They also gave me a goody bag of some sort that had an instruction manual in it. The relief!! Was so impressed with the staff as well. Couldn't have been more helpful or friendly.
    Hope everyone is well x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hi mommies, I'm 14 weeks today! Haven't much to buy either, just a double buggy eventually! Haven't a clue which one to buy though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

Hey everyone, good to hear everyone is doing good. had a rough few weeks but no nausea anymore so I feel like that's a small victory!

Had two scans, two GP visits and an anti-D injection in the past 5 weeks so I'm really hoping things settle down so I can relax and enjoy this pregnancy. Baby is fine and docs ain't worried but I think you'll all agree you never fully stop worrying until you hold baby in your arms.

We told our daughter last week and she is so excited! She's such a good child with a heart of gold so we know she will be great when baby arrives.

We don't really need to buy anything as we kept most things from last baby but I can't help but look at all the pretty things and get excited! I'll hold off for another couple of months before purchasing anything.

Have my next appt wed week so will get another scan then. My daughter is desperate to see something that resembles a baby and not a "blob"!

Bought some of the maternity clothes in Lidl last week and they are great. Got a load of stuff for under €50 so can't complain! I would definitely recommend the trousers, they can be worn over or under the bump and are really comfy! I'm living in them lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Anyone else having major junk food cravings? Didn't really eat much junk food before but for the last two weeks I can't get enough of it. Can avoid it most of the time except at work, where there's always biscuits or cakes lying around :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Hi mommies, I'm 14 weeks today! Haven't much to buy either, just a double buggy eventually! Haven't a clue which one to buy though!!

Can I ask how old your first is? Mine will be 2.5 when this baba arrives and I'm thinking we don't need a double buggy..? Already she wants to walk most places. Also I insisted we needed to spend a small fortune on the bugaboo for our first so I don't want to retire it or start a buggy park under our stairs as we also have a maclaren!

And yes I have loads of junk food cravings- mine are for crisps tho. Last time I was craving Big Macs and was really trying to limit it to once a mth when I gave in - normally I'd have about 2 a yr so could be worse!

Julo12 wrote: »
    Can I ask how old your first is? Mine will be 2.5 when this baba arrives and I'm thinking we don't need a double buggy..? Already she wants to walk most places. Also I insisted we needed to spend a small fortune on the bugaboo for our first so I don't want to retire it or start a buggy park under our stairs as we also have a maclaren!

And yes I have loads of junk food cravings- mine are for crisps tho. Last time I was craving Big Macs and was really trying to limit it to once a mth when I gave in - normally I'd have about 2 a yr so could be worse!

Mine will be 2 years and 2 months! At the moment she loves walking/running away like a maniac & she has no fear! Hopefully by time new baby comes she'll be out of that stage, but I figured it would be easier when the time comes from walks & shopping etc? We're gonna wait a while before we get one anyway. Would love one that could fit a maxi cosi on too, but not sure if they exist?

Also, I do eat junk food, but I'm really trying to be good this pregnancy. I had always been a size 8-10 and I don't think I believed i could have major weight gain! I did !! So I'm really trying to watch myself, but it's so hard to say no once chocolate is in the house!!

I had been having cravings for oranges and carrots so was happy with that as had kind of gone off junk food. Just back from tesco after spending 25€ on junk so guess that's about to change!

Raging I missed the maternity clothes in lidl, I'm already sick of the small wardrobe that I have. Went into penny's in dundrum today, thought they would have the new maternity line, but didn't see anything. Are they carrying the line in blancherstown, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

Mine will be 2 years and 2 months! At the moment she loves walking/running away like a maniac & she has no fear! Hopefully by time new baby comes she'll be out of that stage, but I figured it would be easier when the time comes from walks & shopping etc? We're gonna wait a while before we get one anyway. Would love one that could fit a maxi cosi on too, but not sure if they exist?

Also, I do eat junk food, but I'm really trying to be good this pregnancy. I had always been a size 8-10 and I don't think I believed i could have major weight gain! I did !! So I'm really trying to watch myself, but it's so hard to say no once chocolate is in the house!!

I'm almost positive you can get doubles that take car seats. There are threads on newborn & toddlers and parenting I'm pretty sure. I'll try find them when on laptop.

Re penneys maternity clothes I've seen other ppl on here say they're not great-just not comfy. You'd imagine blanch will have them tho. There's a good few maternity options there with new look, h&m, dps, debenhams, mother care, mamas &papas, next. New look and h&m I found good price wise last time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have a double graco buggy that takes the car seat in the back .. I bought the m seperate too.. about 2 years apart!

As for Penney's the blanch store have the maternity clothes, this is according to Navan branch, where they only have maternity knickers and bras!!
    This is my 5th, and I've never had any maternity clothes.. dunno why, only it was always my lst baby and sure I wouldn't get the wear out of them :eek::pac: I just bought stretchy clothes.. i never really got that big so i guess i was lucky!
    I'm 14 weeks now and its only my jeans that a tighter.. so i've swapped over to leggins.. So far i've no cravings.. just drinking more water to keep the nausea at bay.. i have a soda stream and i find the bubbly water works.. :)

sweet jesus went for my first booking appointment today in the public clinic and was there for 3 and a half hours!!! :O something seriously needs to be done about these clinics.... I mean there was only 5 other people in at the same time as me and 4 still there from the previous session. I dunno it just seems a bit excessive is all. Is this the norm everywhere?

God that sounds awful. I had my booking appointment at my local health clinic and was seen straight away. I have to go with hospital care as I am having twins and am dreading the waits that lie ahead as I will have to attend more often.
    At my first hospital scan, we were waiting just over 2.5hrs. The sonographer said this is normal.
    I don't understand how they can't time manage properly. I get that emergencies happen, but every day?
    I am attending Holles street.

For the booking appointment (in the Coombe anyway) that is pretty much normal, you have to que 5 times! Registering at the 'hatch', medical history, bloods , scan, next apointment.

Your appointments from here on out should be shorter, you will just be queuing for one thing, although it still can take some time .

The lady in the Coombe was telling me last time that from June on you will only be allowed to turn up 15 mins before your appt, and no more than 30 mins late. She reckons some people have 12pm appointments but show up at 9 because it's handier or whatever. So she thinks it will ease a lot of the congestion at the hosp. Mad!!

I'm going to kilkenny. They say the next appointment shouldn't be as long but I have my doubts! On my last pregnancy every appointment lasted 2+ hours but thankfully they seemed to have reduced the number of visits to the clinic now!

Surely there must be a more effective and efficient system they could use for these clinics?!

The clinic I'm in is the same, you can't arrive more than 15 mins early but somehow I don't think that's the problem!

The things we must do!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

Hi, this is my first baby and I just started shopping for a pram. I like this travel system, it had carry cot that can be used as a car seat as well also comes with a car seat. Has anyone opinions on it, thank you. Almost forgot it's called Concord, a German made system.

• Advertisement

Don't know anything about that particular system but think travel systems are a good idea. I was against them in the beginning as felt they were a bit chunky but have come around. Seems it will be really handy to be able to transfer baby from car seat to buggy without having to take them out.
    We are very lucky that the grandparents are going to get our buggy so have settled on the bugaboo donkey. I like the idea of being able to use it as a single buggy if needed. It's very light at 12kgs. The only thing I'm having concerns about though is that when the car seats are attached it's width is 76cm which is too big to fit through doors I think. But why would they make a buggy that doesn't fit through a standard door? The mind boggles!

Don't know anything about that particular system but think travel systems are a good idea. I was against them in the beginning as felt they were a bit chunky but have come around. Seems it will be really handy to be able to transfer baby from car seat to buggy without having to take them out.
    We are very lucky that the grandparents are going to get our buggy so have settled on the bugaboo donkey. I like the idea of being able to use it as a single buggy if needed. It's very light at 12kgs. The only thing I'm having concerns about though is that when the car seats are attached it's width is 76cm which is too big to fit through doors I think. But why would they make a buggy that doesn't fit through a standard door? The mind boggles!

Thanks, it's a bit confusing. A friend suggested buying one that can convert to a twin buggy if we're lucky enough to have another one. I didn't know that was an option so I'll go look again. They're expensive so you really wasn't to be happy with it, good luck :)

The donkey can go from mono- duo with an attachment. Not 100% how it works but definitely a big bonus.
    Yeah, I only really started looking a few days ago and am a bit shocked at the price of things. We are having twins so I know everything has to be doubled but even the price of a baby seat for the car that will only last 1 year is about 150€. I was happy enough to get a stroller suitable from birth, they are reasonable at about 400-500€ but have been guilted into getting a more comfortable one as I'd be a terrible mummy not wanting my babies to be shuttled around in the height of comfort.. :/ even though I have no intention of using a buggy full time.
    these will be our first and I had no idea how much of an opinion everyone has on raising your children. I'm only 4 months gone so I'm sure it's only just starting. I feel like going on holidays for a few months get away from it all!

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well and starting to bloom!
    Is anyone planning on attending the holles street antenatal classes? I'm really not sure whether to attend or go for private classes? I found a lady who will come to your house, she charges 150€ for 4 hours. Seems a lot when they are free in the hospital but would prob end up paying the same in time and money getting to and from the hospital as they are spread over 5 weeks.

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well and starting to bloom!
    Is anyone planning on attending the holles street antenatal classes? I'm really not sure whether to attend or go for private classes? I found a lady who will come to your house, she charges 150€ for 4 hours. Seems a lot when they are free in the hospital but would prob end up paying the same in time and money getting to and from the hospital as they are spread over 5 weeks.

It certainly would be nice to do a one on one class- you can ask every little thing you want to know without feeling silly! At 150 it's a nice little number for that woman to have!!

Do Holles street not do an all day Saturday one? I did an all day one in the Coombe last time.

Did you find it helpful? I'm not 100% sure I even want to go to one. I don't really want to know exactly what's going to happen when I go into labour iykwim.

Did you find it helpful? I'm not 100% sure I even want to go to one. I don't really want to know exactly what's going to happen when I go into labour iykwim.

Ummmmm was it helpful...I don't know! Tbh we left half way through! Just because we were tired & getting house renovations. And we missed the good bit, about breastfeeding! I definitely say go to it, it will give you a little boost of confidence , you'll feel better for it. I kinda regret leaving half way through. The private class really could be good though because it would be more personalized too!!! You're having twins right? She'll have loads of good tips for you I'd say :)

So we decided to compromise as I kind of wanted to attend classes in the hospital as it would make us more familiar with the surroundings etc. we are doing the private antenatal class, she seems really nice and has done classes on multiples before too. And we are going to go to the multiple antenatal class in the hospital. It's only a one off and lasts 2 hours. Will prob be the same information twice but we might learn something new!

Starting to get really excited now! Just about 1/2 way there! Haven't felt any movements yet though:( really looking forward to feeling some kicks!
    I bought my first baby item yesterday too! A newborn cloth nappy! Couldn't resist the cuteness! Don't want to get too far ahead of myself!
    Anybody found out the sex yet? We are going for a surprise but I would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Way back (16 years ago) I did the hospital ante-natal class because they included a tour of the delivery room, special baby care and showed you what everything was for and it really took the scariness out of a lot of the instruments they use. That was the only one i ever did, you'll get as much information other wise from One Born Every Minute :D

I'm hoping to find out boy or girl when i have my next scan. although i scheduled it wrong at 26 weeks rather than 24 so i've to change it.

I'm craving real butter... on toast, on new baby potatoes... its a curse.. because my system can't tolerate dairy...!! :eek: I have rice milk on cereal (cornflakes is another one..haven't had them since i was about 6) pure spread for baking and icing cakes and buns... soya yogurts and icecream.. and then i have a butter dish on the counter with real butter in and the kids are looking at me like i'm losing the plot.. ah well :rolleyes:

I've also been battling a tummy bug since thursday that's just left me drained.. not the puking end (tmi) :o I've the house to myself today as the kids are with there dad this weekend and i'm about a half hour out of bed :eek::pac: yay .. but i'm going to chance the gym as i missed my usual thursday session.
    And... i have to take out the hedge trimmers and do my legs.. seriously.. I have man legs :eek: the itch about a day after i shave them (skin to sensitive for wax or cream when i'm not pregnant) I actually bled my legs from scratching at night... so i left them for a week.. holy jaysus.. not a good look!!
    How's everyone else's cravings? skin ? brain! :D

• Advertisement

So far I'm having a healthy pregnancy but I'm 41. Yesterday I got two appointments for an anamoly scan 10 says apart. Is this normal does anyone know? I can only guess they want to see the development in the 10 days. The scan I had at 13 weeks was fine.

Advertisement